What's new

2019-2020 MLB Hot Stove (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Giants fans can pay $99 to have their photographic likeness displayed in the otherwise empty stands.

This is not The Onion nor the Babylon Bee.

well that is something

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Interesting to see how many of these photographs sell. My guess is not too many people will bite.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any news on mlb tv costs?

I’m assuming blackout restrictions will be the same?

Last edited:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’m also curious about blackout restrictions. It makes some sense to ease them for this season.

also fox Network could ramp up some coverage too.

but what do I know?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
No, it's to encourage people to attend the games in person and pay the big bucks.
I don’t think it is, at least not in baseball.

An article from last year says,
“While the league sells rights to select national games, each team negotiates its own local broadcast deal with a regional sports cable network, such as Fox Sports Arizona, which carries Diamondbacks games, or New England Sports Network, which airs the Red Sox. The in-market blackouts exist to protect those exclusive deals, officials told NBC News. Baseball officials consider the regional networks to be the primary way for fans to watch local games, while MLB.tv serves to fill in the gaps for fans who don’t live in range of a particular network.”

I think that was or is the intention of the nfl blackout but not for baseball.

They want people to watch the local broadcast because the teams paid for the local tv broadcast rights.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Right. I think they want you to pay for the region cable channel. Which is why local games are usually blacked out.

some states have a really hard time with this because multiple teams say it’s there territory. Like Iowa is one. I think all the Midwest teams claim it or parts of it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
So still no info on the mlb packages anywhere.

What’s your price you’d be willing to pay for the all team package?

$50 seems about right.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
So still no riding on the mlb packages anywhere.

What’s your price you’d be willing to pay for the all team package?

$50 seems about right.
$50 for 60 games- that’s close to what the cost per game is for a full season- I think it’s
about $150 for a complete schedule, isn’t it?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
$50 for 60 games- that’s close to what the cost per game is for a full season- I think it’s
about $150 for a complete schedule, isn’t it?

AFAIK, it was $122 for 2020 subscription, including spring training -- that's from a renewal email I got back in Feb.

They seem to normally offer a $50 rest-of-year offer around mid-June or so -- that's actually what I did the last couple years.

_Man_

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
I see the Cardinals are replacing the Yankees in the FIELD OF DREAMS game August 13th.
Will play the White Sox.
I am surprised they are still going ahead with this game.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I see the Cardinals are replacing the Yankees in the FIELD OF DREAMS game August 13th.
Will play the White Sox.
I am surprised they are still going ahead with this game.

I’m glad the game is being played. It will be interesting to see if fans are allowed at this game or any others.

I would pay $50 for the mlb package for this season. I hope they are able to start and complete the season.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
It varies on each service.

Is there a way to compare pricing across the different service?

I tell my wife all of the time that I wished we had T Mobile as they give the package free to their subscribers every year.
We are on sprint and I was hopeful with the merger that this would happen

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I heard a couple more things in a news report today.

Players are being urged not to spit this season. :D

And pitchers will be allowed wet rags in their back pocket so they don't have to lick their fingers to get them wet.

==============================

I am really doubting that I'm going to be watching.

I know I won't ever return to the NBA or NFL. But I've had little interest in those leagues in recent years anyway. But this is baseball. But MLB seems intent on screwing up the game. Real leadership is needed in the commissioner's office, but the owners an players are intent on having their way and without an independent commissioner, their interests will end up ruining the game.

So while I am expecting to stay away from this shortened season, it's...baseball. And I'm having a hard time thinking I'll have a strong enough will to ignore it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I doubt I’ll ever stop watching the sports.
It’s been the priority on tv and radio since i was about7 or 8 so early 1970’s.

Spending summers in Wildwood nj I had access to all newyork and Philly sports.

I am die hard philly but be able to watch yankee and Mets games through the 70’s and into the 80’s was mind blowing.

For me there’s nothing more entertaining then having the game on.

I love going out back and sitting by the pool and listening to a Phillies game.

We could walk to the beach or at night to the Boardwalk and there was always thst one house that had the game on.
Same at home in philly in our neighborhood.

There was always a house or two that had the game on. Rowhomes some with an enclosed porch And the guy sitting there with the game on.
“What’s the score.”

I had my own streak of listening to every Phils game for a few years.
As long as I heard part of the game it counted even from the guy listening on his porch.

It will likely be that I don’t have my own access to the games that will be what stops me from watching. Specifically old age and not taking care of my self anymore.
So I’ll be there at least on tv and radio when they come back.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
The minor leagues won't even have any season this year - so much for the Boise Hawks. So much for them trying to get the city to fund a new stadium for them.

I read somewhere that the minor league players are actually employees of MLB. So a few weeks back MLB said they wouldn't be supplying players down to the minors, and thus the minor leagues had no recourse. Is this really true?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks