2019-2020 MLB Hot Stove

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I heard a couple more things in a news report today.

Players are being urged not to spit this season. :D

And pitchers will be allowed wet rags in their back pocket so they don't have to lick their fingers to get them wet.

==============================

I am really doubting that I'm going to be watching.

I know I won't ever return to the NBA or NFL. But I've had little interest in those leagues in recent years anyway. But this is baseball. But MLB seems intent on screwing up the game. Real leadership is needed in the commissioner's office, but the owners an players are intent on having their way and without an independent commissioner, their interests will end up ruining the game.

So while I am expecting to stay away from this shortened season, it's...baseball. And I'm having a hard time thinking I'll have a strong enough will to ignore it.
Yes I feel the same way you do- sports are being sullied by many things- money affecting the game itself (pitchers limited by innings and pitch counts due to fear over injury which hurts the investment), more playoff teams which makes regular season games less meaningful, and drags the seasons out longer than they should be, these new rule changes that alters or limits strategy (the 3 batter minimum), limited emphasis on “small ball” and manufacturing runs (the universal DH will likely mean no more bunting), and other things that will affect the escapism when I watch a game
(the current climate of today’s society). I have to admit I haven’t missed baseball as much as I expected.

Mike Frezon

Yes I feel the same way you do- sports are being sullied by many things- money affecting the game itself (pitchers limited by innings and pitch counts due to fear over injury which hurts the investment), more playoff teams which makes regular season games less meaningful, and drags the seasons out longer than they should be, these new rule changes that alters or limits strategy (the 3 batter minimum), limited emphasis on “small ball” and manufacturing runs (the universal DH will likely mean no more bunting), and other things that will affect the escapism when I watch a game
(the current climate of today’s society). I have to admit I haven’t missed baseball as much as I expected.
And don't leave out politics! That is probably one of the worst things to creep into national sports.

Baseball is piling on by making these rules changes under the guise of speeding up the game. But they are artificial and won't work. They are screwing with perfection.

Like TonyD I also imagined they only way I'd stop paying attention to baseball was when I died (or was otherwise incapable). But professional sports sure is making it a much easier thing to contemplate.

As of right now, its sorta easy for me to say that "I'm done with baseball." But I have a feeling when games start being played, I will end up being sucked back in. But maybe not. But maybe.

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yes I was referring to today’s politics when I typed “the current climate of today’s society”.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Real Name
Tony D.
Looks like mlb tv is offering the season at $60.
Still no info from Comcast or Directv from what I can find.

Reactions: Osato

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Like TonyD I also imagined they only way I'd stop paying attention to baseball was when I died (or was otherwise incapable). But professional sports sure is making it a much easier thing to contemplate.

As of right now, its sorta easy for me to say that "I'm done with baseball." But I have a feeling when games start being played, I will end up being sucked back in. But maybe not. But maybe.
I was a huge baseball fan growing up and in young adulthood. I attended many, many games at Tiger Stadium (went to Opening Day every year, too), watched just about every Tigers game that was televised, and when the game wasn't on TV I would listen to Ernie Harwell broadcast the game on the radio.

Then came the 1994 strike / lockout, and I found out I could do without the sport. I couldn't go back to a sport where two world wars and the Great Depression hadn't cancelled a World Series, yet a bunch of greedy billionaire owners and multi-millionaire players arguing over the last penny could cancel the event and yet not solve the game's issues.

I haven't watched a MLB game since. If I can do it, so can anyone.

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I was a huge baseball fan growing up and in young adulthood. I attended many, many games at Tiger Stadium (went to Opening Day every year, too), watched just about every Tigers game that was televised, and when the game wasn't on TV I would listen to Ernie Harwell broadcast the game on the radio.

Then came the 1994 strike / lockout, and I found out I could do without the sport. I couldn't go back to a sport where two world wars and the Great Depression hadn't cancelled a World Series, yet a bunch of greedy billionaire owners and multi-millionaire players arguing over the last penny could cancel the event and yet not solve the game's issues.

I haven't watched a MLB game since. If I can do it, so can anyone.
I stopped watching/listening to baseball when the 1994 strike came- for about 10 years. The 2004 Red Sox got me interested again (my cousin’s husband is a HUGE Sox fan, so I was pulling for them to erase the
1986 choke from his memory). I think the first complete game I watched after the strike was the World Series clincher for the Sox.

One quick word about that 1986 debacle- my cousin’s husband has told me the Sox were 1 strike away from clinching FOUR times in that inning before the grounder hit by Mookie Wilson that went through Buckner’s legs (the game was tied when that play happened, so Buckner didn’t cost the team the game).

Last edited:

Dennis Nicholls

Executive Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well this is the HTF so it's OK to discuss what Yamaha is doing for sports.

A remote app that lets fans cheer at home and have it played on the empty stadium's speaker system.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Real Name
Tony D.
I haven’t found anything on Comcast’s sight yet but this article claims that Comcast wants $170 for their version of MLB Extra innings.
DirecTV asking $90 and Dish $90.

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I haven’t found anything on Comcast’s sight yet but this article claims that Comcast wants $170 for their version of MLB Extra innings.
DirecTV asking $90 and Dish $90.

$170 for a 60 game schedule is too expensive, IMO.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Real Name
Tony D.
I don’t ink we have a hockey topic but if anyone can find the hockey pricing I’d be very grateful.

Also I said I think $50 would be the right price before finding it was $60 a couple weeks ago for mlb tv.

Unfortunately I’ll probably be paying the $60.

Mike Frezon

I've been using MLB.TV for the past several years. My favorite team is out-of-town to me.

I will pay the $60...but only to really see if I use it and am interested in what I'm seeing.

I recognize, very clearly, that I might be throwing the money away.

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, the new (re)opening day is almost here. Anyone getting excited at all yet?

Just got my one, lone, remaining, longtime, salary dynasty league rolling again... and w/out Mike Trout on my team for first time since he was drafted by the Angels -- finally decided to (gasp!) trade him away :eek::eek: :eek: to a rebuilding team early this year to free up a ton of cap space (and maybe improve competitive balance)...

Haven't subscribed to MLB.TV yet. Might just wait upto a month to see how I feel and if they might offer a $30 deal for rest of season at that point -- they've done something like that before IIRC...

_Man_

Mike Frezon

Mookie is SO good...

But with this week's events and the reaction from the Commissioner's office, I am thinking I will be less and less likely to come back to the MLB.

Jack P

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
After 44 years of being a passionate fan of baseball, I have filed for divorce from the current game. My baseball fix will from now on come solely from the thousands of vintage games I have at my disposal. I will no longer give a minute of my time or a penny of my money to what is now proceeding and not even the Yankees in the World Series will make me change that position.

And I will say nothing else.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForsyDia