2019-2020 MLB Hot Stove

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I guess their case for that is to limit cross-country travel and the need for many "travel days" in the schedule.

Personally I am at a loss to describe how I feel about MLB right now.
Unfortunately, I feel nothing. Just not interested. The union and the league have
to stop having money squabbles in public-
a terrible look.

Reactions: ChristopherG

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I guess their case for that is to limit cross-country travel and the need for many "travel days" in the schedule.

Personally I am at a loss to describe how I feel about MLB right now.
That's exactly it! As to my feelings towards MLB or any other sport. It's not what it use to be. Being without team sports for four months have allowed me to adjust not having sports play a major role in my own entertainment. Don't get me wrong, I'll watch games, but I'm not as emotionally invested as I was in prior years.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
That's exactly it! As to my feelings towards MLB or any other sport. It's not what it use to be. Being without team sports for four months have allowed me to adjust not having sports play a major role in my own entertainment. Don't get me wrong, I'll watch games, but I'm not as emotionally invested as I was in prior years.
2020 baseball season will feel like a unique exhibition season.

i think we are all anxious for this to end.
I keep Wishing for 2021. But that isn’t even a guarantee that things will be different either.

I choose to enjoy each day regardless of what is happening. Each day is a gift.

the Mets loaded a David come game to YouTube where he strikes out 19 against the Phillies. I’d like to watch that one.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
That's one thing I haven't done since sports shutdown. Watch old games. I don't know, perhaps, it's just me.
I haven't either... though that has never really been a "thing" for me.

Yeah, I've been gradually losing interest in this season as well. And this proposed 60-game schedule feels like a bit of a joke. @Osato's right in calling it exhibition.

At this point, the only reason for me to care is I still have a fantasy dynasty league to co-run... unless all the team owners wanna just scrap this year...

_Man_

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
The last few months have shown me that i can occupy my time just fine with out MLB/NFL/NHL/etc. I'm not at all sure that I'll go back when they are available again.

Reactions: Jeffrey D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Yeah. You fellas are all around where I am on this. It's like I just don't care. And at one point I wanted to be commissioner! :D

I've watched some old games. They were fun (but not nearly the same as live baseball). They were then and this is now.

=====================

But do I really want to even tune in to a game in which if there's extra innings they are going to start each half-inning with a man on 2nd base???

No I don't.

That isn't baseball.

I don't even know what that is.

Maybe if they also added a beer keg at 2nd base.

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yeah. You fellas are all around where I am on this. It's like I just don't care. And at one point I wanted to be commissioner! :D

I've watched some old games. They were fun (but not nearly the same as live baseball). They were then and this is now.

=====================

But do I really want to even tune in to a game in which if there's extra innings they are going to start each half-inning with a man on 2nd base???

No I don't.

That isn't baseball.

I don't even know what that is.

Maybe if they also added a beer keg at 2nd base.
The 3 batter minimum rule isn’t baseball either. HATE this nonsense.

Mike Frezon

Premium
The 3 batter minimum rule isn’t baseball either. HATE this nonsense.
You know, it's bad enough that we've got this shortened season to deal with because of the virus crisis.

OK. So we have to have an "asterisk" season. But why do we have to compound things by changing the rules of the game to play whatever games can be played??? Why do these things?

File it under "never let a crisis go to waste." These are things that the commissioner's office have wanted to do for some time...as wrong-headed and ineffective as they will be. Here's their chance. And since they've been put into play...well we might just as well advocate for them to stay in lay assuming that the 2021 season proceeds as normal.

I am really not sure I can continue to enjoy the game with these changes to the rules of play. It's going to be an interesting thing for me to see.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
The last few months for me have been a great time to take advantage of the wonderful new treasures from the archives that have surfaced as filler programming. Game 2 of the 1972 World Series, was the one game from that series that had remained in MLB's vault for decades without being seen again and finally it's out and all three games of that WS that exist complete or near complete (Games 2-4-5) are accounted for in the hobby.

Also, I've lucked out in the realm of e-bay auctions where an estate of tons of old radio brodcasts of games have been unloaded in multiple lots and added lots to my collection there. In short, the game as it was when it was better has tided me over and served to remind me that I have not missed it during this absence and that given the idiocy of what's going on and the lame arguing and certain other things, I don't feel inclined to come back. My hunger and need to live through one more Yankee title in my lifetime has literally evaporated these last few months.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
You know, it's bad enough that we've got this shortened season to deal with because of the virus crisis.

OK. So we have to have an "asterisk" season. But why do we have to compound things by changing the rules of the game to play whatever games can be played??? Why do these things?

File it under "never let a crisis go to waste." These are things that the commissioner's office have wanted to do for some time...as wrong-headed and ineffective as they will be. Here's their chance. And since they've been put into play...well we might just as well advocate for them to stay in lay assuming that the 2021 season proceeds as normal.

I am really not sure I can continue to enjoy the game with these changes to the rules of play. It's going to be an interesting thing for me to see.
I don't like the new rules except for the new universal DH. With that said, I'm glad they're making these rule changes during this shortened season as it gives fans an opportunity to express their opinion about those changes without them spending money to watch these games. If the majority of baseball fans really hate these rules then they need to let this so-called MLB commissioner and his bosses know about their displeasure. The 2020 season is kind of a lost season anyway so if you're going to experiment with new rules then do it now. There should be petitions, letters and any other type of communication to let the MLB "powers that be" know these new rules suck and fans aren't going to support the sport going forward with those rules. We're the customers so let our voices be heard. If we're ignored then we have the option to move on from MLB.

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I don't like the new rules except for the new universal DH. With that said, I'm glad they're making these rule changes during this shortened season as it gives fans an opportunity to express their opinion about those changes without them spending money to watch these games. If the majority of baseball fans really hate these rules then they need to let this so-called MLB commissioner and his bosses know about their displeasure. The 2020 season is kind of a lost season anyway so if you're going to experiment with new rules then do it now. There should be petitions, letters and any other type of communication to let the MLB "powers that be" know these new rules suck and fans aren't going to support the sport going forward with those rules. We're the customers so let our voices be heard. If we're ignored then we have the option to move on from MLB.
Great point.

Reactions: Osato

Mike Frezon

Premium
In a perfect world I'd agree with that. But in present-day baseball, I don't trust the powers-that-be to listen to their customers. Between the owners, the commissioner's office and the player's union, the fan is usually at the bottom-most rung of the baseball ladder.

We could all move on and I don't think they'd care.

They are using this shortened season as an excuse to make hungered-for (by the commissioner) changes which I am doubtful will be removed for 2021.

While I'd prefer not to have the DH in either league, I prefer having it in both rather than being split between the two leagues like it has been. And the other rules changes are unnecessary and will do absolutely nothing to cure the problem that most people have with the current state of the game: the fact that the games take too long. We all know what will shorten games...and it would start with shorter TV slots between innings--something which would never be addressed.

We are starting to slide down a very slippery slope. It is an oft-used tactic which can be found in Congress and in every statehouse across this country.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
In a perfect world I'd agree with that. But in present-day baseball, I don't trust the powers-that-be to listen to their customers. Between the owners, the commissioner's office and the player's union, the fan is usually at the bottom-most rung of the baseball ladder.

We could all move on and I don't think they'd care.

They are using this shortened season as an excuse to make hungered-for (by the commissioner) changes which I am doubtful will be removed for 2021.

While I'd prefer not to have the DH in either league, I prefer having it in both rather than being split between the two leagues like it has been. And the other rules changes are unnecessary and will do absolutely nothing to cure the problem that most people have with the current state of the game: the fact that the games take too long. We all know what will shorten games...and it would start with shorter TV slots between innings--something which would never be addressed.

We are starting to slide down a very slippery slope. It is an oft-used tactic which can be found in Congress and in every statehouse across this country.
Which is why I wrote the following:

There should be petitions, letters and any other type of communication to let the MLB "powers that be" know these new rules suck and fans aren't going to support the sport going forward with those rules. We're the customers so let our voices be heard. If we're ignored then we have the option to move on from MLB.
Mike, if they don't listen to us then we should react accordingly. I think some of us have learned to live without baseball or sports. It's not as difficult as I thought it would be. If MLB turns their back on what the majority of fans want from the game then it's up to us to turn our collective backs from them. We have the power, if we choose to exercise that power! Smaller attendance numbers and reduced TV ratings add up to less revenue for the "powers to be" to chew on.

Reactions: Jeffrey D

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Giants fans can pay $99 to have their photographic likeness displayed in the otherwise empty stands.

This is not The Onion nor the Babylon Bee.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lendrena