What's new

2019-2020 MLB Hot Stove (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I'm not sure on the Phillies, but the other Tiger in that photo is Mickey Stanley. There were also photos of other Tigers players in the set, including a double image of Lou Whitaker -- one year before he and Alan Trammell made the big club and started their record run together as a double play combo. My dad's scout friend told us that the Cardinals had made the Tigers a significant offer for Whitaker, but the Tigers had no interest in trading him. They thought both he and Trammell were going to be special (and they were right).

The player on the end looking at the camera is John Wockenfuss, who was a local favorite "everyman" who played a bunch of different positions -- catcher, 1B, outfield, etc.

img1079-X4.jpg

Here's the double image of Sweet Lou Whitaker:

img1082-X4.jpg
Turns out Wockenfuss ended his career with the Phillies (1984-85). I did remember the name- I guess the reason why is he was a Phillie.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't have a dog in this hunt, but what do you guys think about a short season full of double headers?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...es-into-a-shortened-season/?ex_cid=538twitter
It will be mutually agreed too so I don't have a problem with it as I expect the major league rosters will be expanded. If they're playing more than one DH a week, I suspect they could temporarily shorten those DH games to seven innings each like they do in the minors or make sure there aren't any extra innings DH games beyond 10 innings.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Man, players that are going to be free agents after this season are not going to get the rich contracts they envisioned as MLB teams will take a bath financially if they can't play games with fans in 2020. Furthermore, if this virus has another outbreak this Fall/Winter then the 2021 season is in jeopardy too, especially, if they can't develop a vaccine in 2021. All the sports teams and players across team sports will be making a lot less money this year and perhaps, next season.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Is it possible to see The Roar of 84 documentary About the 1984 Tigers by FS1? I saw a bit of it and wanted to finish it. Thanks!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
A recent sports update on SiriusXM mentioned baseball’s plans to start the season in July- about a half season’s worth of games. The most
troubling part of the update was the issue about how the revenue will be split between the players and owners this season- sounded like the MLBPA wasn’t happy with their cut. I would suggest to the players and owners that they keep the bickering over millions of dollars away from the media and behind closed doors- it’s just a terrible look to be arguing about $ while millions are out of work, small businesses won’t recover, and fans won’t be allowed to attend the games. This is the poster board for tone-deaf.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Sounds like they're not even close, and time is probably nearly run out...

_Man_

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Sounds like they're not even close, and time is probably nearly run out...

_Man_

interesting. I read they may have to play anyway....

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
One more baseball item. I’m finally working on my baseball games attended scrapbook. It’s been sitting around for years.

baseball almanac has box scores but I hate the print option setting for how they look.

I haven’t figured out how to clip them as the box score takes up 2 screens. I’m wanting a smaller version to stick in my book with family pictures, ticket stubs and game recap articles.

if anyone knows of a way to either print the box scores a bit nicer or another source I would be very interested.

feel free to pm me if easier too.

thanks everyone!!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
interesting. I read they may have to play anyway....

Hmmm... looking a bit closer at the details, if they just go ahead and play say a 50-game schedule w/out a new deal, then the lower paid (mostly pre-arb) players lose out compared to what the owners offered.

Not sure what's the true underlying motive, but seems like the owners may be trying to instigate something between the lower paid players and the high pay ones. Note that the ~$1.2B in total prorated player salaries should actually be the same whether based on the original deal or the owners' recent proposal -- it's ~30% of the original $4B, and 50 / 162 games works to ~30%. The only diff is how it's distributed to players, ie. strictly prorated or adjusted based on "sliding scale" to benefit lower paid players (at cost to high pay players). The ESPN article I linked made it sound a bit like the owners were only trying to save $$$ (or reduce potential losses), but that's probably only true of other aspects of their offer, eg. going w/ shorter schedule that also doesn't jeopardize a lucrative postseason (more than necessary).

The MLBPA should probably make an attempt at a modest sliding scale offer even if the owners stick to their guns and reject it. Otherwise, they're probably risking some bit of deterioration of morale amongst the pre-arb ranks... especially if they're actually obligated to play a 50-game schedule anyway...

_Man_

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I’m anxious for baseball to start again.

I just heard back from a library Milwaukee for some of my research. They may be able to help me with several game articles and box scores.

Minneapolis, Kansas City, Phoenix, Denver, Chicago are other cities that I’d like to find game recaps and box scores for my book.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Mets schedule breakdown:

According to MLB Network's Jon Heyman, the plan is for each team to play 40 games against their divisional foes and the remaining 20 against their interleague geographical counterpart (i.e. the NL East would play the AL East).
So if that's true here's how the Mets' schedule would break down:
10 games vs. Washington Nationals
10 games vs. Philadelphia Phillies
10 games vs. Atlanta Braves
10 games vs. Miami Marlins
4 games vs. New York Yankees
4 games vs. Boston Red Sox
4 games vs. Tampa Bay Rays
4 games vs. Baltimore Orioles
4 games vs. Toronto Blue Jays

Users who are viewing this thread