What's new

2007 NFL Off-Season Discussion Thread (Including Vick's troubles) (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The details of Vick's plea are coming out and apparently it's just one count of conspiracy. The plea involves some admission of responsibility for the death of dogs, but its limited and no gambling is admitted.

One commentator on CNN thought it was likely the judge would reject the deal because he was pleading to so much less than his buddies did. The commentator said if this goes through, he needs to triple his payments to his lawyers for this great deal.

It seems obvious by not admitting to gambling, he's trying to salvage his NFL career. Basically, he's trying to avoid responsibility for what he did. I hope the judge rejects this.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I tend to think that the wording in the commissioners statement indicates that Vick will not be back in uniform for a very very long time if ever. Fine by me.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Part of it though is that federal prosecutors receive his commitment to testimony and "name names" Vick is to provide a list of other brokers and those who sponsored events his kennel attended to the government.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Also, the plea only applies to federal charges, state charges are another matter entirely Mr. Vick may have to deal with.

His career is over.

betooz

Agent
Real Name
Chris
Honestly Vick, go F@#$ yourself, guess I will see him in hell. This is absolutely disgusting, how he can even look at himself in a mirror or accept what he has done is beyond me. His "dad" has even come out and admitted that this is big part of his "son's" life. The heinous nature of this crime far outweighs his colossal stupidity. His lawyers are very crafty, completely removing his gambling from the picture, only mentioning that he funded it but never accepted any money. I hope you die in jail Ron Mexico.

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
Couldn't say it better myself, betooz. Vick is the lowest of the low. Good riddance to arrogant trash.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think you're wrong. The same actions can be a violation of different laws and therefor you can be tried again for those actions. What about the racists who skated by on murder charges and were than tried for violating civil rights?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

No, double jeopardy means you can't be tried for the same crime twice, it doesn't prevent you from being hit with both federal and state charges, and because they would be charges on the state level, they would be different charges even if the crime he's accused of is the same in both jurisdictions.

PFT continually raises the point that Vick is still likely to be charged under Virginia law on top of what he has agreed to admit guilt to under federal law.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
He can't be tried for the same charges. And he won't be.

The feds are accepting a plea on the matter of gambling. He will have never went to a trial in the case of animal abuse or state tax evasion and violation of state animal laws.

Since he was never tried in front of a jury on those matters, no jeapordy is attached.

Vick could also face federal charges unrelated to these in the form of federal tax evasion should his enterprise have garned more then $10,000 in unclaimed income, which would not normally go to trial but would be subject to penalties and fines.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Ok- I'm no lawyer, but.... how come the Falcons didn't put verbiage into the contract (and subseqent signing bonus) ensuring personal conduct would be maintained ?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So Vick takes responsibility for his actions. Oh, but they were immature actions and he has to grow up. So just chalk it up to youthful indiscretion.

He apologized to darn near everyone on the planet, except the dogs. I'm thinking he owed them an apology too.

Oh, and he's found Jesus, so that fixes everything.

I was amazed today at how many commentators thought he was sincere. The only thing he was sincere about is how much he regrets getting caught.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
It's something to do with the CB agreement if I recall correctly. The league handles all major discipline for personal conduct.

I have never been a big Joey fan, but I have always thought of two things when he started his career with the Lions. 1. The west coast offense was absolutely the worst offense to fit his abilities. 2. He needed time to sit and learn, not be thrown to the wolves in the fourth game of his rookie year.

Watching Joey tonight perform possibly as good as I have seen him makes me wonder if he can salvage any type of career. Petrino's offense is more vertical, and less check down crap. They showed some very interesting numbers on Harrington. He has the lowest yards per attempt and yards per completion of any long term quarterback in the history of the NFL. To go along with that though, he also by far has the highest % of dropped pass of any qb in the history of the game. Just under 12% of all his passes have been dropped by wide receivers in his career. I can't believe it, but I am actually pulling for the guy.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
To try to bring some funny to this discussion about Vick, here's a question: What has the better odds of happening, Michael Vick playing again in the NFL or the Detroit Lions winning the Super Bowl? :D

I wouldn't be surprised if Vick serves jail time for the next two season, gets suspended for two more and come back in 2011.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Agreed 100%. He's not sincere about any of it. You could see it in his eyes. He should be flushed from society, but being a big sports celebrity he'll probably get a wrist slap and be back to making multi-millions within a couple years. Half the Georgia Dome was ready to welcome him back with open arms last night. :rolleyes

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
That disgusted me last night seeing all the #7 jerseys in the stands supporting this man. Then they boo Joey Harrington. So sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks