What's new

2007 NFL Off-Season Discussion Thread (Including Vick's troubles) (1 Viewer)

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
The fewer qb's that are left for teams like Miami and Minnesota to take, the more those early draft picks go up on value, especially if the Raiders take Calvin Johnson. There is a ton of intrigue in the top of the draft this year. For us Lions fans, the intrigue is how can Millen screw it up this year.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Considering it's in the Lions best interest for Oakland to take a QB with the first pick (leaving Calvin Johnson for Tampa or Atlanta to trade up for), you can rest assured that Millen will trade McCown to the Raiders before the draft, thereby allowing Oakland to draft CJ. Detroit will probably get another 5th round pick in return... you can never have too many 5th round picks. [/sarcasm off]

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. I'm loving what the NFL is doing.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

What's notably absent though, is the "moral" outrage that's usually expressed by people who don't agree with this. And that's weird given recent media exposure to the Imus controversy. Just look how baseball is handling the steroids issue. They pretty much dragged their asses on it.

I'm simply amazed the "usual cards" haven't been played yet.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
You aren't a Raider fan by chance are you? :)

Rumors are circulating about Dallas trading Julius Jones on draft day. According to a newspaper report, Dallas management isn't convinced Julius can be an everyday back. While I like Marion Barber better, he isn't an everyday back either and personally I think having 2 running backs means you don't have one.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Considering what little value running backs get in trades, I would think the Cowboys would be better off keeping Jones. The tandem of him and Barber worked well there. I think they would struggle to get a first day draft pick for him in a trade.

There was a rumor circulating that Detroit and Tampa were talking trade. The two teams would swap first round picks -- Detroit's #2 for Tampa's #4 -- and the Lions would get Simeon Rice. Personally, I think Millen's a fool if he agrees to this. Rice is 33 years old, coming off a missed season due to injury, and will be an unrestricted free agent after this season. If the Lions are going to trade down, they should be looking at additional draft picks only. Of course, considering how poorly Millen's drafted, that's probably as much a waste as getting Rice.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Talent and bad trade aside, I will boycott the Lions, and I am dead serious, if they bring Rice on to the team. He made some of the most horrible comments about Pat Tillman after he died and totally disrespected his name and what he did on a national radio show. Even the host was taken aback by what he was saying. Since that time I loathe Simeon Rice and hope he never plays for Detroit.

Rant off.

Aside from that it would be a horrible pick. To me, the thing Millen should do is trade with Atlanta, at 8, pick up both of their second round picks and acquire some depth. I pray that they stay away from Gaines Adams, aka Kalimba Edwards and draft Patrick Willis, the MLB. If they want a tweener project guy, get Lamar Woodly in the second round.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I had not heard about Rice making those comments, Brandon. That makes another reason to not want the trade.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Lions take Willis if they trade down. They need help at linebacker, and extra picks would be nice (despite Millen's penchant for wasting them). I could also live with Joe Thomas, Calvin Johnson or Adrian Peterson, even though the latter two are not major areas of need. At least the players have the potential to be franchise players. I don't think that's the case with Gaines Adams, and Jamarcus Russell's weight issues concern me. I'm not big on drafting Brady Quinn, either. I think Quinn needs to be in the right system to succeed, and Detroit is not that place.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Not going to happen. No way the Lions will fall that far down in this years draft. While true that they need to aquire more picks to pick up depth, they do not want to fall down that far and not get a top quality player like Willis, Laron Landry, Gaines Adams-ugh, or some other similar prospect. While the extra #1 would be nice next year, it won't be a top 10 pick so to me it just doesn't make sense.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Jerry Jones is floating rumors around(which look to be true) that he is willing to package some picks to move up to acquire a single great player on offense which based on his comments leads towards a running back. If Adrian Peterson slides much into the later 7-10 range, you could see fireworks.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Things are warming up around the NFL with the draft a few days away. Rumors flying every which direction, deals being done or falling apart or even some waiting to see which side blinks first. I of course, will be here doing my usual round-the-clock (or so it seems) draft discussion this weekend.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Casey, I must say that I am very disappointed that you haven't told me for SURE who the Raiders are picking so I can plan the Lions draft strategy, as we all know that Millen can't do it properly.

My ideal draft is such a dream, but whatever, I can dream, it's all I have, I'm a Lions fan. It starts with Oakland taking Russell, then the Lions trade back with Cleveland as they don't want to risk not getting Quinn. So they swap picks and pick up the Browns second rounder, like they did three years ago. Then, the Lions trade back again, with either Washington who currently cannot come up with the ammo to make the trade, or Atlanta and pick up two additional second round picks while moving to 8. Atlanta is under a lot of pressure to not let the hometown boy, Calvin Johnson, get away. At that spot they draft Patrick Willis and he becomes the corps of the Lions defense for years to come. Then the second round is where you pick up offensive line help, a good safety, and all the depth you can grab.

If I haven't mentioned it before, and I know that I have, for the love of all things sacred DO NOT DRAFT GAINES ADAMS. Please, we don't need Kalimba Edwards 2.0. I will have more of my draft thoughts in the next day or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks