What's new

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member

I was also thinking more along the lines of 'what if' instead of actually trying to get one of them. With an offense as weak as the Pats is it's nice to dream about a stud running back ;)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Read me: If the Patriots are undefeated, and Miami has no wins when they meet next, the Dolphins will be 30+ point underdogs.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I think the Patriots cover that spread rather easily.

The only question is... can the Eagles avoid a shutout?

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Good luck if your favorite team is playing tomorrow. Granted in the case of Detroit they may need more than good luck against Favre but you never know what can happen.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Happy Thanksgiving to all of my friends here at the NFL thread! Go Lions, do yourselves a favor and beat the pack and stay in that wild card race!

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

The article is interesting and I have heard some radio interviews discussing the effect that the Patriots are having on betting and sports books. It is fascinating stuff.

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
WEEK 12 PICKS

Green Bay over Detroit
Dallas over Jets
Indianapolis over Atlanta
New Orleans over Carolina
Cincinnati over Tennessee
Cleveland over Houston
Jacksonville over Buffalo
Kansas City over Oakland
Giants over Minnesota
Seattle over St. Louis
Tampa Bay over Washington
Arizona over San Francisco
Chicago over Denver
San iego over Baltimore
New England over Philadelphia
Pittsburgh over Miami

Last Week 10-6
Overall 92-68

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Green Bay over Detroit
Dallas over NY Jets
Indianapolis over Atlanta
Chicago over Denver
Tennessee over Cincinnati
Jacksonville over Buffalo
Kansas City over Oakland
Cleveland over Houston
Seattle over St. Louis
NY Giants over Minnesota
New Orleans over Carolina
Tampa Bay over Washington
Arizona over San Francisco
San Diego over Baltimore
New England over Philadelphia
Pittsburgh over Miami

Last week 13 - 3
Season 100 – 60

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
This season is starting to look more and more like the last 6 seasons, Lions-wise. 3 losses in a row, and looking at the rest of the schedule, they'll probably finish 8-8.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving.

I think your 8-8 prediction is about as good as Detroit can finish, Zachary. I wouldn't be surprised by 7-9, either. They are quite capable of losing every game remaining on the schedule. The possibility of making the playoffs is pretty much shot, since the Lions lose the tie breaker against every other team in the running for the wild card spots -- they lost to Washington, Philly, Arizona and the Giants. The Cardinals have a very easy remaining schedule, too.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Here is my take, and I am no expert, but I think Kitna is an average qb and that is fine. However, Millen needs to realize that the game is won in the trenches. Kitna can only do so much when he has no time to throw. That offensive line is a joke, Backus is overated, Raiola, don't even get me started on him, he may have cost the Lions the game yesterday with that dirty play on the opening drive. You MUST protect the qb and give him at least 3-4 seconds to look the field over and let the receivers run their routes. On the flip side of the ball, the highest paid DT in the league, Cory Redding is still looking for his first sack, first fumble forced, first fumble recovery....he had 11 sacks in 8 games as a DT last year.

9-7 is best case scenario at this point, but 8-8 is more realistic. The best chances for wins will be home against KC and at Minny, however they are no givens.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Yesterdays victories setup a clash of the NFC titans in Dallas next week. Green Bay typically does not play well in Dallas. The opposite is true as well when Dallas visits Green Bay.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Just when we thought this might not be the same Lions...except for Scott who has been preaching the truth since the beginning. How come every time I get to watch them it is so depressing? They are never on where I live and I always get excited on the rare occasion that they are on the tube. Only to have my excitement turn to disappointment. Still, it is a heck of a lot better than last year and they still have a chance at the playoffs. As long as they are not on TV for me to watch.:)

BTW, I concur that the O-line is the biggest problem. It is a shame they are doing too well to be in position to draft Jake Long. I would also add that they need more playmakers on defense.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

After watching Jake Long get dominated by Gholston in the Ohio State game, I'm no longer convinced he's the next great NFL left tackle. He'll be facing that type of talent every week in the NFL, and he really struggled against the Buckeyes.

That being said, if Millen takes an offensive skill position in any of the first three rounds of next year's draft, he should be fired on the spot (but we know he won't be). Offensive line, linebacker and defensive backfield should be the priorities in the offseason.

Regarding the Green Bay - Dallas matchup, it's too bad that most of the country (including me) will miss the game because it's on the NFL Network. Comcast wants extra $$$ for this channel, I already pay them too much.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Thank you Dish Network for the free NFL channel upgrade! I love my Dish Network and there customer service has been top notch!

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
KC/Oakland - what was Herm Edwards thinking? If this was 3 years ago and you had that line and Priest Holmes maybe, but jeez. It wasn't 4th and inches, and Kolby Smith had a drastic dropoff in production there in the 4th quarter.

Pats/Philly - great game, ultimately it just looked like they got a little greedy on the pass to the endzone. Philly's secondary doesn't need to apologize to anyone. NE really needs to work on a run game for the cold weather games coming up otherwise someone else is going to use this blueprint and beat em - they left their defense on the field waaay too long, especially in the 1st half.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
The Iggles actually outplayed them. They lost for exactly the reason Matt shares (even if that had been a TD pass instead of a Asante pick, the Pats would have had plenty of time to win)...if they had dinked and dumped and scored with about two minutes left (which they were easily capable of), they'd have the game in the bag. The Pats clearly have some vulnerabilities, but you need a good O-Line and a tough, disciplined defense to exploit them. You need to extend offenseive drives, and not worry about the long score. And you need to punish their offense.

I already get NFL Network, so this works out for me. I am a lot more worried about the Packers now than I was three weeks ago. Grant is a strong runner, and they have a good defense (maybe better than the Cowboys), with big DBs to match up on TO. Still, should be a great game, either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks