What's new

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

They still have games remaining against the Jets, Bengals, Ravens and Bills, so they have not clinched their perfect season yet, either. Just as no team has ever gone 16-0 in the regular season (the Dolphins played 14 games), no team has gone 0-16 (Tampa Bay only played 14 games, too).

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm hoping and praying for the Dolphins to win their first (and only) game vs. the Jets. :D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

But trying to win meaningless games (after winning home field advantage) at the possible expense of losing starters for the playoffs is not a smart thing to do, and the Pats aren't known for doing such stupid things, even if they want to pummel teams score-wise this season as a F-U to the rest of the NFL due to the bruhaha of Beli-gate.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The NFL's drug testing and steroid testing is good enough where we'll see if that's true or not. Just ask Shawn Merriman :)

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I have been out of town attending a family tragedy and really missed most of the goings on over the last week in the league. The only access I had was when I spent four days in a car with my XM radio listening to ESPN Radio and Fox Sports radio to get all the info.

In regards to what the Pats may do at the end of the season if they are still undefeated, there is no way to tell with Billicheck will do. One of the announcers went through their history when they have clinched home field and it is a mixed bag. In one of the Super Bowl years he played the starters every game for most of each game, even though they had already clinched. And other years he rested, so its tough to say...

As far as the Lions go, this week is absolutely huge. In a span of 5 days they play the Giants and Green Bay, both at home. If they get lucky and happen, just happen to win both, it really situates them in a good position with a long practice week to follow.

On a side note. Most of us have been discussing football for 5-7 years around here and I just wanted to ask you all to have a good thought, or pray for or whatever you can for my Father. Last week he was involved in an accident where two people stepped in front of him while he was driving. He killed one of the ladies, and the other one is still in critical condition. The lady that died had her head hit the windshield right in front of my Dad and it is tearing him apart. He was 100% cleared by the police and is not in any way at fault. It has been a rough week for all of us, but especially him. This came just one day after an accident in front of my house, where someone drove their car into my home, causing 15k in damage to it. Thank you...

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

The NFL hasa good policy for dealing with the people that do get caught.

However, it doesn't make the testing fool proof. So even if no positive tests surface, it does not mean that this guy is lying.
Trust me on this, due to the types of things I regularly write about and study in my field, I know a little about how guys cycle on and off of steroids. I also know about things that guys can do or take to get around the testing for drugs. Add to that the fact that no reliable test for HGH exists beyond 72 hours and it is a mistake to think that the NFL is a clean sport.

I give the league credit, guys who do get caught are punished. However, not everyone gets caught.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Brandon, I will keep you and your family, especially your father, in my thoughts and prayers.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. I don't talk football anywhere else online. Part of it is because I write almost all day and sometimes it is a struggle for me to write even in here, hense why you don't see me as much or long gaps between posts appear.
Anyway, the biggest reason this is the only place I discuss football is that over time it has become a very friendly group. Sure, we take jabs at each other's teams and potential draft choices, but that's part of what builds any good group. The guys who have posted in these threads for years, I feel about as close to as is possible for people I've not actually ever met in person.

So once again, brandon stay strong and I'll definitely be thinking of you and your family.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Brandon, wow, that's so unfortunate for all involved. My thoughts will be with your family and the other family as well.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Brandon, I will be praying for your father and all involved. What a tragic situation.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Brandon, I am very sorry to read about your father's tragedy. Even though I've never met any of the people who regularly contribute to this thread, I've grown to know the regulars quite well over the years and consider you friends. It hurts to see friends suffer. My thoughts are with you and your family.

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
WEEK 11 PICKS

Tampa Bay over Atlanta
Cincinnati over Arizona
Indianapolis over Kansas City
San Diego over Jacksonville
Oakland over Minnesota
Cleveland over Baltimore
Green Bay over Carolina
New Orleans over Houston
Philadelphia over Miami
Detroit over Giants
Pittsburgh over Jets
Dallas over Washington
St. Louis over San Francisco
Seattle over Chicago
New England over Buffalo
Denver over Tennessee

Last Week 8-6
Overall 82-62

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Terrible week last week, it is very good that I actually don’t put any money down on my picks.

Jacksonville over San Diego
Indianapolis over Kansas City
Minnesota over Oakland
Cleveland over Baltimore
Pittsburgh over NY Jets
Tampa Bay over Atlanta
Atlanta over Cincinnati
Philadelphia over Miami
New England over Buffalo
Dallas over Washington
Houston over New Orleans
Green Bay over Carolina
Detroit over NY Giants
St. Louis over San Francisco
Seattle over Chicago
Tennessee over Denver

Last week 6 - 8
Season 87 – 57

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately for me I never joined the HTF group; just used the group I created for my own website. While last week wasn't good for me 7 correct out of 14, my record on the season is 97-47.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I am an avid football fan and have been via upbringing since I can remember...I mean, I can remember watching football and hockey at the age of 9 and being born in 1970, I can remember watching live, the USA Hockey team beat the Soviets in 1980 !

I have never seen a play like the one I saw today. The field goal actually bounced back through the uprights after going through. It would have been interesting if Baltimore had a player back there to return the kick after the "good" field goal and then he returned it for a touchdown !

I am happy to say the refs...more specifically, Pete Morelli, the nicest man you'll ever meet and the "referee" of that game (and his crew) got it right.
Too often everyone remembers the calls they get wrong. But this one was right and lo and behold, the Browns ended up winning !

Wow !

Incidentally, Mr. Morelli was/is the principal of the high school my wife attended and she says he is the nicest, most calm and friendly person you could ever wish to know.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread