What's new

2004 NCAA Football season (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I think they are a better team in a variety of ways, but if you want the main thing that I think would be the difference, it would be Matt Leinert at QB and Norm Chow as offensive coordinator and Pete Carroll as defensive coordinator. OK, that's three things. :)

In my mind at least, this may get settled next year. If LSU repeats as national champion, either beating USC, or with SC clearly out of it, then I'll give my props to LSU. But my money for next year is on SC.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Amen to that. If you are not the best team in your own conference, how can you possibly be the best team in the nation?
Some conferences dont have an end of season Conference Championship and some do. They need to make the conferences have the same playoff systems to know who is number 1. A lot of the conferences have gone to a playoff for reasons like the PAC 10 that has too many teams and they dont always play each other (Oregon didnt play USC this year).

The BCS system has to either A) go away completely or B) have a major overhaul that would allow the BCS to rank teams up to a point but NOT decide who goes into the final game then have a small playoff for the last 8 teams?

KyleS

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Some conferences dont have an end of season Conference Championship and some do. They need to make the conferences have the same playoff systems to know who is number 1.
Why? Let each conference determine its champion however it chooses. However, any team not deemed the champion of its conference should not be considered one of the best two teams in the country, and therefore, not be eligible for the so-called "national championship" game. If the NCAA had an 8 team playoff, this would not be needed. However, if only two teams are going to be chosen to compete in a title game, those two teams should have impeccable credentials.

This would make each conference race a sort of season-long playoff, with each team knowing it cannot be the mythical national champion finish first in its conference.

It certainly will not fix all potential BCS problems, but it would have kept the two worst situations that have happened so far (OU this season, Nebraska two years ago) from happening again.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I actually agree with his assessment of USC's defense in that article. Sure they give up more yards and points than LSU, but they also play in a shoot-em-up conference (witness Cal's 52 vs. VTech). 9 sacks vs. UM was most impressive given that the Wolverines had only allowed 15 all year!

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Prettier uniforms.
Some old style/retro uniforms and helmets should be left. I'm glad the Cleveland Browns left their helmet unchanged from the 40's style when plastic helmets were first introduced. Clean, simple and a nice contrast to the other pro helmets that for the most part have interesting logos.

But the LSU helmet??!!! It looks like the top of a can of ointment that I would put on to sooth my lumbago.

Worse Overall Uniform/helmet Penn State. The only thing that saves this combination is when they play on a turf field on a rainy day when they can get all muddy. Why not go the extra mile and just take off the numbers.

Yawn - Nebraska, Oklahoma. Their football successes are as impressive as their outfits are dull.

On Probation - BYU had to be taken off the list when they made some improvements to a uniform that was less interesting than the worse eight-man high school abomination.

Dan Mc

Stunt Coordinator
This from Skip Bayless of the San Jose Mercury News:

Mike Hagen, an Atlanta Falcons scout who had spent time at USC and LSU practices, said: ``LSU has better overall team speed than USC, especially its running backs. LSU has a better secondary. And LSU plays in a more physical conference.''

RonaldK

Grip
Dan, for every article you post promoting LSU, I could post five saying that USC is the best team in the country.

USC and LSU are co-national champs in Div. 1 football. Let's be happy that we can claim to be number one instead of bashing each other.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
"The BCS System is designed to select the two teams for the national championship game, and shall not be used to seed teams into the three other BCS games, or any other bowl games."

LSU and USC have one thing in common this season and that is Auburn not the national championship game. So, it's LSU by a point plus they played in the national championship game.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
George,

I don't know everybody in Atlanta so I can't substantiate that comment. I came to this opinion on my own, good or bad. It's called independent thinking, try it sometimes.

Because of the circumstances, I think USC is deserving of a share. I also think LSU is better but not by much. Both could probably beat the Falcons .....without Vick.

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Where is the continued outrage over the BCS? See, this is why the "powers that be" in the BCS and college football feel no pressure to make significant changes. Football fans will grumble for a few days, then forget about it.

If the BCS really is that bad, people should voice their disapproval and outrage 365 days a year. Don't stop whining just because the season is over. Otherwise, college football will find itself in the exact same place next season. The time for change is now. Get off your butts...unless you think the BCS is not so bad after all.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I think you will see some minor changes to the BCS, I think that they should put more of a priority on the human polls, like and this is only a suggestion, perhaps a rule that says if a team is ranked number 1 in either 1 of the polls at the end of the season, that they get a spot in the BCS title game. Of course, I've got to agree that Oklahoma didn't really deserve to make it having not won its conference championship. Until there is a playoff system in place there is always going to be a risk that we end up with co-national championship teams.

As to the LSU/USC question, I break it down like this.
On a nutral field, I'd take USC, but if you were to take Oklahoma out of the Sugar bowl and put USC in, I'd have to go with LSU since it would basically have a powerful home field advantage in place. I think USC had better play from the QB's, but I really liked LSU's defense, what's his name, Marcus Spears? that guy was a stud in the sugar bowl.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

I remain outraged, but I don't see much point in posting here each day repeating

BCS sucks.

On the other hand, every time I post, I am making a comment about the impotence of the BCS in my signature. :)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Huh? I fully accept the reality that the BCS bites, and the Academy Awards are incapable of giving the Best Picture oscar to the best picture. Maybe this year they'll give it to Return of the King and shock me, but I ain't holding my breath.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks