What's new

2001: Am I going nuts? (1 Viewer)

Deckie

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek Stebbing
Having watched 2001: A Space Odyssey several times I'm hoping somebody can confirm whether my memory is correct and whether TV screenings since it was released have had an exciting and perfectly good sequence cut. I'm thinking about the part when Dave manages to get back into the ship after his tussle with HAL when he refuses to open the pod bay doors. From that point on he's always wearing his space suit, ever wondered why? There doesn’t seem to be any good reason for him to do so. My memory from many years ago of one screening (it could have been the original cinema screening back in 1968) is HAL opening the pod bay doors to expel all the air in order to eliminate Dave and save himself from being deactivated. I'm sure I remember the dramatic scene where things are flying around as the air is escaping and Dave has to battle to get to his space suit while he can still breathe. I know this happens in the book, can anybody confirm whether it has ever been in the film / movie as I remember it? Or am I going nuts?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I can confirm that no such scene was ever shot for the film. It was strictly a part of the book. But it was very well written and I can completely understand how you’d have a vivid image of it. I think other sci-fi films have had similar visuals as well, so you’ve probably seen something like that somewhere before.

(I’ve read multiple screenplay drafts, set notes and other correspondence at the Stanley Kubrick Archive in London, in addition to the published material.)

Deckie

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek Stebbing
Thanks Josh, confirms I am going nuts :lol:. It's a pity the scene wasn’t included, as it is there's no explanation for him wearing his space suit (and why is he if the scene isn’t part of the story?).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I can explain why he’s wearing the suit. It’s for his protection. Without it, HAL could open up the doors and let out all the air, suffocating Bowman. By wearing the suit, the only thing HAL can do to Dave is talk. There’s also no indication that HAL has repressurized the pod bay after Bowman left the ship to try to retrieve Poole, so it may have been a necessity for him to wear it after leaving the emergency airlock area.

Deckie

Auditioning
Real Name
Derek Stebbing
Yes, I guess like lots of other occurrences in the film, it's left to the viewer to give their own explanation of what’s going on (and the debate goes on 50 years later).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks