What's new

2 way -vs- 3 way speakers, Whats the difference! (1 Viewer)

Phil Mays

Second Unit
I recently placed a 150WPC amplifier on my system.

While I was jamming to some floyd and ozzy last night I noticed my 3-way speakers sounded "muddled" at higher volumes and I assume this is the results of adding the AMP. Interestingly enough the RF-3, RC-3 and RC-7 did not sound this way and where clear.

Is this a funtion of 2 way -vs- 3 way or am I missing something.

In order to go with a 7.1 set-up I was going to get new mains and was deciding between the 3 way KLF-30's and the 2 way RF-7's (topic for another thread) and move all speakers down.

Thanks for the help...

Phil

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
It has nothing to do with the amp or power. It is how many crossovers the speaker. The frequency range for a speaker is 20 - 20,000hz (Or somewhere in between there. Most main speakers don't go that low. That's what the sub is for.) One speaker can't produce that big of a range, so it is split up into several speakers. The tweeter is used for the high frequencies, and woofers for the low. The range can be split into any number of ranges. A 2-way speaker has one crossover which sends all low sounds to the woofer (usually from 2000 - 3000 is the split), and all the high frequencies to the tweeter. A 3-way design just splits the range 3 times. (Usually at 500, 3000, and the rest). There are even 4 way designs, and 2 1/2 way. It is just how the frequency range is split.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks