What's new

2 Questions about Avia (1 Viewer)

Ron WH

Auditioning
Hi All,

My first question:
I have a HDTV Direct view (Sammie TXP3064W). I read somewhere that Avia is probably the best for them and the DVE is more for digital types. Is there any reason to get DVE if I have Avia for my tv?

Secondly, I bought my Avia from a seller on Amazon that listed it as "Like New". Unfortunately, as found out once I had it in my hand, that it didn't include the filters. It just included that insert with the table of contents for the "Using Avia" section of the dvd. Is there anyway to obtain the remaining documentation/filters from Ovation or elsewhere without having to purchase another copy of Avia?

Thanks in advance.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
If you have AVIA, you do not really need DVE. As for the filters, you could contact Ovation directly.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Common statements about Avia and DVE, but not really true. Both just have patterns, and both are pretty fine for any kind of display I've ever run across. More advanced patterns on Avia PRO or DVE PRO can be more tailored to certain kinds of artifacts that are caused by different types of displays, but the basic patterns on Avia and DVE are fine for any kind of display. Of course, how you use the basic patterns will vary on the type of display under calibration. It is true, however, that the narrative explanations in Avia are geared towards CRT, however this is unrelated to the reality that you can use the same patterns on a digital display just fine, but you use them differently.

As for whether you would want DVE as well, I like to use a combination of both, because DVE has full-range patterns from 1-254. If this isn't necessary for you, then I wouldn't worry about it. You can read in my guide for details if you wish, but you shouldn't ahve any problem doing basic calibration with either disc. I do prefer avia's navigation though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks