What's new

Green gun, post tackle woes...:eek: (1 Viewer)

G500

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum. I found this place during a Google search. I was (am) looking for advice for tweaking my Hitachi 51G500.

The beginning of the end came a few weeks ago when a friend was tackled into the TV. The screen was totalled and I have a new assembly on order. Subsequent to this blunt force trauma the set seemed to have a pretty lousey picture. (I've reinstalled the old screen for now until I cab install the new one, so originally I thought it might be the lack of the glass layer (plexiglass?) that might be causing the ruddy picture, but upon further inspection I've discovered the green gun is at half it's normal intensity. Not sure what to do about that?? There is also a vertically mounted (small) circuit board behind the screen , and under the mirror that was loosened; related to poor picture?

Before I spotted the green gun problem, I tweaked the crap out of a 'lot' of settings. I wrote down 80% of the original numbers for reference sake I thought, only to discover that after a factory reset much of these settings/numbers do 'not' return to a default. Opps. Thats really going to hurt, if I discover here that those numbers are not a known set of defaults. IOW's if every 51G500 0ff the line comes with a different set of settings, I may be a tad screwed.

I am watching an AVIA II set on EBay and am hoping most of this might be tweaked back towards normalcy with that. If not I'll see if one of the warranty places in town can come over and calibrate it once the new screen is in. When I called they mentioned having an electronic device for calibrating and didn't rely on a DVD. Not sure what they were referring to?

So right now I have these questions:

1) Is there anything I can do to reanimate this nearly dead green gun?

2) Are the settings in the ISF a standard set per model?

3) Should I follow through with the AVIA II or get the DVE Pro set?

*shaking head* .... *insert self deprication here*

TIA,

Joe

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the forum Joe.

This is way beyond my expertise—but at this point I think that you are way beyond a DIY project. Get a pro and pay the dough.

And (but you know this now), keep the football outside (just as your Mom told you).

G500

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Lew,

Wise words man.

This is beyond me as well. 'But', this has been a great nite so far. I took the front panel off that reveals the CRT's and took a quick look. I noticed there is a small panel with various plastic adjustment screws labelled R,G,B; 2 sets. So I noted where the first G(reen) screw was and moved it to and fro ....

VOILA!!

Green gun started blazing again ..
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Next, I took out my pad and rummaged through the 3 pages of notes I made as I tweaked values the other nite, and I managed to put everything back to normal again.

Good 'ol Hitachi looks nice once more. I can't imagine it after 'all' three layers of the screen assembly arrive from Hitachi and I have a chance to install it. Right now I'm viewing thru 2 of the 3 layers .. *L*

So I'm down to one question :

**Will AVIA II suffice, or should I go for the DVE Pro DVD?

Joe

Note: I may parse this Q into it's own thread ... it'll garner more replies I think.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Woah, that sounds pretty catastrophic! the adjustment screws you found might be the "G2" adjustments - they are sort-of (don't flame me on this) like super-duper brightness and contrast controls. Setting these things too far off normal could have some serious results for the guns...

but it sounds like you got it more or less OK.

I'd say this project is a little past the "Basics" level!! good luck with it, and don't hesitate to get pro help if you are worried....

G500

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe

Chuck,

Yeah, I can relate to that....even slight adjustments cause huge jumps in green etc. I tweaked the 'one' screw maybe half a mm. In fact it's as though something were stuck and just needed a nudge back into being fully functional, because all it took was just moving the green adj. back and forth nearly to the precise same spot, and the green gun suddenly worked ... too wierd; but hey, I'll take it!

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks