What's new

2 Center channels instead of 1... Anyone? (1 Viewer)

Jamie

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, I have been pondering the idea of using 2 center channels instead of one to distribute a more even frontal stage. I have a 92 inch screen. Has anyone experimented with this idea? Is having 4 speakers across the front overkill? Currently, I have a Denon 4800 and use Parasound Monoblocks driving the left and right speakers. I use the Denon 4800 to drive the four surrounds for EX and the one center channel up front. Does anyone see this as a problem provided I of course have have a 3rd monoblock and the speaker? I'm looking for for someone out there who has experimented with this. Thanks.

I would not recommend adding a second center channel speaker. You will likely make the dialog harsher and less intelligible.
When two speakers reproduce a single mono signal they sound waves they put out collide. Depending on the distance apart from each other and the frequency they are producing, the sound waves will sometime reinforce each other(making that frequency louder) and sometimes cancel each other (making that frequency softer). This happens over many frequencies and if you plot it out, the frequency response has many sharp peaks and dips: hence the name of the phenomena.. comb filtering.
------------------
Buzz Goddard
TAG McLaren Audio

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
A friend of mine has a two center channel speaker set-up and he seems to love it. I have not seen or heard this and I have never fully understood it but I always say, to each his own.
Rich
------------------
"A) You can never go too far and B) If I'm going to get busted it is NOT going to be by a guy like DAT."
My Website

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Link Removed
My theater I am now building will have a 110" screen in 4x3 mode (7ft wide) will have the center channel bass 10"er and two 5 1/4"ers below the screen and the 1" softdome tweeter above the screen. A rep from Rockford Fosgate taught me this technic which pulls the sound from below the screen and places it in the middle where it belongs. It also creates a very real taller sounding center image. For example a lead singer now has height that separates him from the lower instruments and places him right in the room at the correct height. I strongly believe in separating frequencies to achieve my desired effect.
Wes
Prosteering EXS
"We have you surrounded"
Link Removed
[Edited last by Wes on July 25, 2001 at 08:01 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks