What's new

~$150 subwoofer suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
I have another post going, on an Energy sub, but if I don't buy that one, I was looking at the Acoustic Research S112PS, which Sears has for 150. I also have heard lots about the Sony SA-WM40, which etronics has for 150 as well.
Any other suggestions? Any reasons why I shouldn't buy the AR? (No shipping costs ontop of it, and repairs would be made locally...)
Help and suggestions and appreciated, thanx.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
There's only one sub you should buy under $200. That Sony.
wink.gif

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
There's only one sub you should buy under $200. That Sony.
I second that emotion!....go with the Sony
------------------
Check out my new Home Theater site and my NEW HT 6.1 Pic's at The Enormodome
Join my new Yahoo "Club Enormodome" for LIVE HT and DVD chats at: Link Removed

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I third that opinion, great little sub.
------------------
"But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy

Vin

Supporting Actor
Although I don't own either one I've heard the both of them and IMO it's not even close......get the Sony! :)
------------------

ErichH

Screenwriter
If you have just a little time - you can improve a cheap sub by opening the box and bracing it (X/Y and corners) and then finish the wall lining (cheap ones may have no wall treatment) and then stuff the box with R23(white) or something soft . This will make a 150-200 sub perform like a 400-450 sub .
You'll be amazed at how a boomey little box will firm up . An easy tweek .
Eric

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Have to agree with the Sony suggestion. Actually, there is one currently for sale for $100 in the sub classified section here.

Loring

Stunt Coordinator
I was just at Best Buy last night and they had the Sony for under $100 less tax. I have to say it was a sweet little sub sounded better then the larger 12" Sony they had right next to it.
If I was not so close to getting a SVS I would of picked it up but I am set on getting a SVS. I have cut my dvd buying to one dvd a month just to get the SVS in my HT. Damn I am missing a lot of good movies to save for the SVS.
------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
~Loring
  • Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR65
  • Center: JBL S-Center
  • Fronts & Rears: JBL S-36
  • Subwoofer: (coming soon) Spoiler:SVS 20-39PC
Ye do not meddle in thee affairs of thy dragon, for thou art crunchy and taste good with thy katchup

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I was just at Best Buy last night and they had the Sony for under $100 less tax. I have to say it was a sweet little sub sounded better then the larger 12" Sony they had right next to it.
Are we talking about the SA-WM40? I've never seen it for $100 at BB, and I didn't know Sony made another 12" "larger" sub.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Alright, there seems to be a resounding common opinion on the Sony.....and thanks for pointing the one just posted in the Used Subs page, I emailed the guy, hopefully it all goes well.
Just assuming I don't get the sub, should I avoid the Acoustic Research subs, or are they at least decent? Like I said, Sear's has 112 on sale for 150 til Saturday, and then it's back up to 300, I believe.
Thanks for the input, once again.

Vin

Supporting Actor
Joe,
IMO, the AR sub is really not that good......I demoed one and I found that it bottoms out too easily. Also, a friend of mine bought one a few months ago and has already replaced it.
BTW, Sears also carries Cerwin Vega....I would avoid that brand as well....just my opinion of course, based on my personal experience. I owned an LW-10 for only a couple of months before selling it. It was capable of playing very loud but sounded boomy......to my ears, anyway.
Good luck.
------------------

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Joe, you may be able to get Sears to price-match from the 'net on the Sony for you. They gave me one for $150, and some have done even better.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
I have other sugestion! I was seeking for a small sub to use it on my computer, this is because I don't like the bass that computer speakers are able to do (way much punchy for me).
I bought a Kenwood SW303, an 8inch driver handled by a 100watts RMS amplifier. Im happy with it, sure, it won't go REALLY low, but it can bring good amouts of bass to around 32-35Hz, more than enought for my computer!
Oh! I almost forgot to mention the price! $130.00
Good luck
[Edited last by Manuel Delaflor on July 12, 2001 at 03:55 PM]

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
I wasn't aware that Sears carried the Sony subs...? I don't know if any other big store around here does, so I might have to search around. Thanx for the suggestions tho.....I went to test out the AR at Sears, but the guy didn't have the cables, and I was short on time.

Jin E

Second Unit
Someone is selling their Sony sawm40 for $79+shipping in the Hardware for Sale area (He's in Wisconson). You might want to check it out.
-Jin
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Does anybody know of any other stores that would carry the SA-WM40 and can be PMed to the net? (Detroit area?)
Thanx...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks