What's new

Looking for new Receiver for these speakers (1 Viewer)

Brandon Carpenter

Auditioning
Howdy forum,

Bought some speakers and bass for cheap and looking for a receiver to put them to use. I don't know much about home theater systems so let me know what ya'll think I should get.

Budget: $300-$500

Note: Someone suggested Harmon Kardon receivers are great for my price range. Any thoughts on that?

Thank you.

Speakers:
front towers..
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rXjstCY8lsI/p_700P250/Infinity-Primus-250.html#overview-tab

back speakers
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pfkbfGScKfR/p_700P150/Infinity-Primus-150.html

center tower
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-9OrvdpjapWG/p_108PC25/Infinity-Primus-C25.html

sub woofer
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_3/velodyne-dps-10-subwoofer-8-2004.html

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
They are 8 ohms per the listed specs and not a difficult load to drive. If you want more bang for the buck you can look at a factory refurb at accessories4less.com. They are authorized, Onkyo, Marantz and Denon and if desired there are extended warranties available.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It takes twice the power to raise volume 3db...So take your efficiency at 1 watt...2 watts makes 3 more.4 watts makes 6 more.8 watts makes 9 more.16 watts makes 12 more.32 watts makes 15 more. 64 watts makes 18 more.128 makes 21 more.256 makes 24 more.512 makes 27 more.

Brandon Carpenter

Auditioning
schan1269 said:
It takes twice the power to raise volume 3db...So take your efficiency at 1 watt...2 watts makes 3 more.4 watts makes 6 more.8 watts makes 9 more.16 watts makes 12 more.32 watts makes 15 more.64 watts makes 18 more.128 makes 21 more.256 makes 24 more.512 makes 27 more.
Thanks but is that Harmon Kardon a good receiver for my setup?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Thanks but is that Harmon Kardon a good receiver for my setup?
To reiterate what Phil said, any standard receiver/amp is fine for those speakers. So get one that you like that has the features you need. Pioneer, Harmon/Kardon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, and Denon are usually considered the nominal list of good amp manufacturers.

As far as that specific H/K goes, it had a few problems with it's circuitry when it first came out. I haven't heard anything recently, so I assume that they've corrected things. But make sure whereever you get it is an authorized dealer, if they aren't some manufacturers won't honor the waranty.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Besides the insignificant differences in power, they are manufacturers specifications. Also, receivers share power supplies for the functions (preamp, tuner, multiple amplifier channels - that's why the 2-channel amplifier specs are more). Really expensive high end separates have components in different boxes and amplifiers will have a power supply for each channel. Therefore, with the sharing of power supplies and the convenience of everything in one box so between that and the differences which Al noted, you are looking at something really insignificant and as he noted you should figure out the features you want, get a warranty from an authorized dealer, etc. If you think you want something with more power eventually, for example, you can look for a receiver with preamp outputs and add an outboard amplifier at a later date.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks