What's new

12 gauge vs. 14 gauge? (1 Viewer)

MikeJason

Agent
I have been to 2 Home Depots and they do not carry 12 gauge speaker wire.

Will I notice much of a difference if I go with 14 gauge instead of 12? The speaker wire for my rear speakers will be running about 35 or so and the front speakers will be about 5 ft from the receiver.

Thanks!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
In terms of an audible difference, the answer is no. However, that's never stopped a person of waking up in the middle of the night and second guessing themselves. Since HD doesn't seem to carry it, rather than wasting car trips and time, just order a 100 foot roll of 12gauge SoundKing over at PartsExpress and while you're at it, pick up bananas and/or spades to make your connections. If you don't like clear vinyl, Knukonceptz makes some attractive blue stuff.

wade_g

Auditioning
You might double-check Home Depot. I've purchased a couple of rolls of 12ga. speaker wire from them (RCA brand, oxygen-free, clear jacket). Bought a 50' roll 3-4 weeks ago and a 100' roll last week. It was an aisle over from the bulk cable they sell by the foot, and below the various audio and video cables and connectors.

...unless maybe you're looking for in-wall cable.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
I have noticed that many HD stores it is available only by pre-order. Ask if they will order it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks