12 gauge vs 14 gauge

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey_K, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Jeffrey_K

Jeffrey_K Agent

I'm hooking up my HT in a 20 x 12 room. I have all of the equipment bought save for the wiring. I am hooking up a 6.1 setup. The question is: Do I have much (if anything) to gain from buying 12 gauge speaker vs 14 gauge? 12 is significantly more expensive and I'm not sure if it would help me much. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    12 ga. is generally preferable, when possible, because it has less resistance than smaller-gauge wire. However, if your speakers are rated at 8-ohms nominal, you can get away with using smaller gauge wire, unless your runs are over 100ft.

If cost is an issue you could use 12 ga. for the front channels and 14 ga. for the rear channels. If cost is seriously a problem, you could go with 14 ga. all around – no problem.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

If you are running this in-wall, make sure you buy UL rated in-wall speaker cable. I buy mine in bulk at Home Depot (cut to any length you specify). The price difference between 12 & 14 ga. is usually less than 10 cents/foot if my memory is correct. And the cable price is in the neighborhood of 25 -35 cents/foot. Given what you have probably paid for a nice 6.1 system, don't scrimp on the cable. Just my two-cents worth.
    As info:
    Here's a response to a question about speaker cable gauge/length from the Secrets website:
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/qa/qa2002/qa320.html
    ANSWER
    I am glad to see you have decided to use cable that is rated for in-wall use, as this is one step many people forget. As for brand I don't see any problems using the Monster Cable, but a generic brand may give you similar sonics at a reduced price. You should be able to find a dealer that will let you sample the different in-wall speaker wire technologies so you can try them with your system. As for 'time correct windings', that is Monster Cable's marketing term for the skin effect. There is a table below to help you with your wire gauge selection. The left hand column is the wire gauge you should use for the length shown in the right hand column.
    Wire Gauge (AWG) Length (Feet)
    6 87
    7 69
    8 58
    9 43
    10 34
    11 27
    12 22
    13 17
    14 14
    15 11
    16 9
    17 7
    18 5

4. Jeffrey_K

Jeffrey_K Agent

I just talked to Home Depot here in Columbus, OH. I seems that they have 250' rolls of 12 gauge speaker wire for $63.00. I'll be buying that. Thank you all for your advice and responses.

5. Sonnyc

Sonnyc Extra