What's new

1 Game on 3 systems. Which one do you choose? (1 Viewer)

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
So, Jeff, will you be getting Two Towers for Xbox or GC?

When I got my Xbox I assumed that I would buy any 3-console game for it, but then NFS2 turned out to apparently be a turkey on anything but the PS2. I've got cold feet now about buying ports, especially with so-called exclusives now showing up on other consoles. Halo, Mario, Zelda, and GTA seem the only true long-term titles. So, can people provide other exceptions to the "Xbox version is best" rule and why? NFS2, obviously. THPS4 on PS2 for online play. How about Timesplitters 2? Since MGS2:Substance suffers some slowdown on Xbox, is the upcoming PS2 reverse port the better choice? If one doesn't have broadband or Xbox Live (I'm yes on BB, no on XBL), is the only knock against EA games for the Xbox the lack of online capability? If a game looks no better after being ported to Xbox, should we stick with the original system? Xbox having 5.1 and 480p aren't options everyone can take advantage of, but multiplayer modes, extra levels (or downloadable content) and better controllers (where these options are applicable, which is what I'm asking) are.

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator
I generally go with the Cube, unless I feel that the Dolby D aspect is going to really enhance the experience (Medal of Honor being a prime example).

Why Cube? Because the control pad has the best feeling analog stick set-up and, as far as I'm concerned, makes for the best overall gameplay.

Got Vexx on Cube tonight, for example, and I'm loving this little game (minus a mild case of PS2-port-itis).

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
I think that I will get the two towers on the Xbox anyways. I've heard from many friends who have played it and they like it best on the Xbox. Unless I see it face to face the cube version will wait. Plus I like the controller better on the Xbox than the GameCube (a little small for me). IGN is the only source that I have seen that says go GC for LOTR TTT. And need for speed is definitely a PS2 title. If a title is coming for all three systems My initial choice is the Xbox but I wait for reviews and compare to make the deciding factor.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
That's weird, I found this at IGN

the real-time gameplay visuals [of the GCN version of TTT] are nearly as brilliant as the slightly superior Xbox version.

But it must be said that where the Cube version falls short is its standard Achilles heel: FMV compression.[where the PS2 and Xbox have no problem]

Ike

Screenwriter
X-Box. 480p, and 5.1 sway me everytime, not to mention it's the most powerful.

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator

Ah yes, the ever-important FMV sequences...*snicker*.

And the graphics are better on the Cube, over all (I do believe there's a thread on this very board attesting to that fact somewhere)--I wouldn't go using the IGN fanboy coalition as the gold standard for rating games.

{note: I never thought I'd see the day when I believed GameSpot had superior reviews to IGN, but here we are)

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
I could swear that MGS2: substance does NOT offer progressive scan for the X-box. I read that from someone on this forum.

More often than not, I'll go with the native version. Control issues are a problem with many ports -- I'll gladly sacrifice progressive scan for gameplay anytime.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I have a PS2 and a GC (or rather I own half the PS2 and my fiancee has the Gamecube, really). I pick the GC version if I can do to the seemingly better load times and the comfy controller. I also opt for GC for multiplayer titles if possible, as I have 4 GC controllers, no multitap needed, and excellent 4-player games (Monkey Ball, Smash Brothers, Godzilla).

The problem occurs on fighting games. Truthfully, the only game available across all consoles that I really have an interest in is MK: DA and possibly Soul Calibur 2 when it comes out. But, the GC pad is pretty bad for fighting games. But, if I'm buying a joystick, I would rather pick up a PS2 joystick, for Tekken Tag, Guilty Gear, etc. So I think my fighting games will end up being PS2 because my other fighting games are PS2.

Damien

Supporting Actor
Between my xbox and cube, it usually was always xbox. but now 3rd party games on gamecube are dropping like cats and dogs in price. Timesplitters 2, hunter($10), baulders gate($20) tiger woods 2003, and nba2k3($15!!!!) make me not even think about losing a couple more bells and whistles. I prefer the wavebird WAY over any control on all 3 systems by a mile as well, and the games usually take very little space on the card.(unless it sports, but then again you save the diff. in cash). Also, I think playing timesplitters 2, the spiritual heirs to rare's masterpieces, on gamecube adds sentimental value. But otherwise unless it has EA slapped on the cover i will go with the xbox version on release, but that really depends on the genre, both controllers have there pro's/con's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks