Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

avia

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 chris d.

chris d.

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted May 31 2004 - 10:00 AM

has anyone else found the avia home theater tune-up disc absolutely useless. None of the test really work good for me.own a xbr 800 and think i'll call a professional. on the first test(white level) i could not get any blooming.Am i doing something wrong?

#2 of 4 EduardoBonifaz

EduardoBonifaz

Stunt Coordinator

• 77 posts

Posted June 03 2004 - 02:51 AM

Blooming It's only seen in CRTs, If your XBR set has a LCD panel you won't get any blooming ever, there are another tests (in avia disc) to adjust white level on such displays.Posted Image
Eduardo Bonifaz

#3 of 4 Pus Suchre

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts

Posted June 07 2004 - 01:07 PM

Call the pro Posted Image I smile, yet I haven't properly tuned mine yet- I may too be calling the pro Posted Image
We are all one cat piss away from ruination- literally and metaphorically

#4 of 4 Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted June 09 2004 - 05:05 AM

Most decent CRT sets today do not bloom, period.

Joe Kane has written articles in WSR Magazine suggesting that Contrast on a CRT set is best set (assuming that it does not bloom) by looking closely for a slight color change in the top white panel of the Pluge. I think (but will not swear to it) that the panel will go slightly yellow when the set is overdriven.

I have never observed this, personally, but trust that it is true.

I usually use Needle Pulses+Steps to set contrast, looking for a setting that results in minimal line bending of the black line that goes through the white section.

Blacklevel, Color, Tint, and Sharpness is very easy to set with any of the discs in question.

BGL