What's new

Repair or replace Paradigm PW2100V2 sub? (1 Viewer)

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
I posted this in another subwoofer thread, but realized that nobody had posted there for about six months. So please excuse me if you see this twice.

I've had a home theater system in my basement mancave for 20 years, and I've replaced components as needed. But the speakers have remained the same -- Paradigm Studio 40's in the front, Paradigm CC470V3 in the center, Paradigm mini-MON IV3s in the rear, and a Paradigm PW2100V2 sub. Unfortunately, the subwoofer now has a torn surround (I think that's what you call it -- rubber piece at outer edge of the speaker cone). No replacement parts available, so to fix it, they have to send it back to the factory, at about $400 for repair and shipping.

The folks at the store question whether it's worth it to do this for a 20-year-old sub, because they claim the average life of a sub is about 10 years and the electronics could go next. They recommend replacing the sub, and the one they recommend that would be as good as the one I have now (better actually) would be a REL HT/1205, at about $800. (I originally paid $700 for the Paradigm sub 20 years ago.)

I'm not an expert in subs, but the cheap replacement sub that I had laying around sounds like crap. So I'd really like to find something that is about as good as what I had. But I'm also not looking forward to spending $800. So my questions to you folks are, 1) Fix the old one or replace it? and 2) Is the REL a good sub for the money, or should I be looking at something else at (or preferably below) that price point? Any advice you could give this non-expert would be greatly appreciated.

What are you looking for (Speakers, Subwoofer or Both)? Subwoofer

Primary Use: 99% TV & Movies

Desired Configuration: 5.1

Room Size: 18x12 (that's about right) In a finished basement with low ceilings -- 7'

Is the room open to other areas of your home: Not really

Do you already have an AV receiver or amplifier? Yes

What's your budget (low to high): $800 or below

Any special requirements (Wife Acceptance)? Nope

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks