What's new

Calibration question (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I have a single HDMI input, so I've been using component video for my video games for years. I just recently got an HDMI switcher and I have my 360 and my Wii U hooked up with HDMI now. I went to play the Wii game Zelda: Skyward Sword, and it looked all washed out. I lived with it for a while and then backed down the black level. My question is, if you properly calibrate your TV, should that apply to any HDMI signal the TV receives? In other words, if I have it correctly set from my Avia disc, should those settings be correct for DVD, TV and video games? Or, will I need to just set it manually for every application I decide to use? I've found in the past that setting my DVD player correctly on my component input and then transferring those settings to my HDMI input with my cable box doesn't work, but maybe I've been doing it wrong.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Could this be a case where your player was set to use expanded black/ full range/PC where instead of outputting 16-235 it output 0-255, which when calibrated would cause devices outputting the range 16-235 (WiiU?) to look washed out because blacks would be gray and whites would be less bright?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I've noticed that my Wii U image looks washed out in general. Watching stuff on Netflix on Wii U looks a lot whiter than on PS3 or 360. That might be your issue, not the TV.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Sorry I didn't get back/couldn't get to the computer today. Chuck, I usually turned all that black level enhancement stuff off on my DVD, I think. I have to say, it's been years since I've even used it. It's on a component input, and I actually set my HDMI input by eye. It looks pretty good to me, but it doesn't look like those settings can apply to my game systems. Actually, the Wii U game I played looked alright, but not the emulated Wii game. In general, all things being equal, should the Avia disc-derived settings be applicable to all inputs? I've never been clear on that. Morgan, the reason I actually went to HDMI was because I did a Netflix trial and it looked terrible. Netflix on HDMI doesn't look any better, so I canceled my trial. :( For now, I'll plan to adjust my settings when I play Zelda.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I can definitely see the display device having completely separate settings for each input, especially when they are completely different kinds of input so adjusting on component will only affect component inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks