What's new

Looking for help with "dead vent" design (1 Viewer)

jcl333

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Lindholm
Hello all, I am new to this forum.

I have been researching "dead vents", but my impression is that most of it is fairly speculative vs. having an actual engineered design.

I am finishing my basement to a dedicated home theater, and this is not my first one. It's roughly about a $100K build, but that is on top of equipment and materials retained from my last theater.

I have an acoustic engineer, a structural engineer, plumber, carpenter, electrician, etc. But, my acoustic engineer specializes in interior room treatment, and it not as strong on ISO and not on ventilation at all. I have a fair number of design constraints, such as I don't really have room inside the theater for a soffit. Heating/cooling is provided by a mini-split heat pump, this is going to be just ventilation provided by an ERV (Energy Recovery Ventilator) and is a requirement for my building permit.

I am fairly knowledgeable myself, and I am not unwilling to give this a try with the best design I can come up with. But, if I could hire a person or company that has a much higher likelihood of a working solution, either just a design that I could build or a finished product, I would be interested. So far, I have not found anything that quite fits the bill. Even on some of the forum and blog posts I have found where they talk about building dead vents, I don't see allot of follow up on how well it ended up working, mostly anecdotal rather than scientific.

The closest I have seen to what I am looking for is some of the designs for sound booths and recording studios, but still not finding allot of information on this particular aspect of things.

So, if someone has a referral to a company, design studio, consultant, or even just a really good reference with detailed design details of a field tested and verified solution, I would really appreciate it. It would be very intrusive to have to go back and remove and re-work the solution if I just start experimenting.

Thanks much

-JCL

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Hello all, I am new to this forum.

I have been researching "dead vents", but my impression is that most of it is fairly speculative vs. having an actual engineered design.

I am finishing my basement to a dedicated home theater, and this is not my first one. It's roughly about a $100K build, but that is on top of equipment and materials retained from my last theater.

I have an acoustic engineer, a structural engineer, plumber, carpenter, electrician, etc. But, my acoustic engineer specializes in interior room treatment, and it not as strong on ISO and not on ventilation at all. I have a fair number of design constraints, such as I don't really have room inside the theater for a soffit. Heating/cooling is provided by a mini-split heat pump, this is going to be just ventilation provided by an ERV (Energy Recovery Ventilator) and is a requirement for my building permit.

I am fairly knowledgeable myself, and I am not unwilling to give this a try with the best design I can come up with. But, if I could hire a person or company that has a much higher likelihood of a working solution, either just a design that I could build or a finished product, I would be interested. So far, I have not found anything that quite fits the bill. Even on some of the forum and blog posts I have found where they talk about building dead vents, I don't see allot of follow up on how well it ended up working, mostly anecdotal rather than scientific.

The closest I have seen to what I am looking for is some of the designs for sound booths and recording studios, but still not finding allot of information on this particular aspect of things.

So, if someone has a referral to a company, design studio, consultant, or even just a really good reference with detailed design details of a field tested and verified solution, I would really appreciate it. It would be very intrusive to have to go back and remove and re-work the solution if I just start experimenting.

Thanks much

-JCL
Jeff,
I would suggest you contact Dennis Erskine if you aren't already working with him, as he's an expert at most of this.

Generally speaking, if you cool via mini-split, the problem solves itself as there is no sound transmission over that as the unit has no vents.

Your ERV/HRV will require venting, and that will generally be accomplished with a baffle box replacing the last few feet of vent, which is just a wood construction lined with acoustic material. This does not have to be on the ceiling in a soffit, and can be done in a riser or wall(column) as well, it's just a matter of adapting the design slightly. This guy has a great write up on it: https://www.digistar.cl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697

jcl333

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Lindholm
Jeff,
I would suggest you contact Dennis Erskine if you aren't already working with him, as he's an expert at most of this.

Generally speaking, if you cool via mini-split, the problem solves itself as there is no sound transmission over that as the unit has no vents.

Your ERV/HRV will require venting, and that will generally be accomplished with a baffle box replacing the last few feet of vent, which is just a wood construction lined with acoustic material. This does not have to be on the ceiling in a soffit, and can be done in a riser or wall(column) as well, it's just a matter of adapting the design slightly. This guy has a great write up on it: https://www.digistar.cl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697
Hello,

Thank you for the link, he looks like the right type of person I am looking for.

Unfortunately, there is some problem with the registration process, so I can't join that forum, and there does not appear to be an alternative way to reach him. Does he have an account on this forum that I could send him a PM?

Thanks

-JCL

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Hello,

Thank you for the link, he looks like the right type of person I am looking for.

Unfortunately, there is some problem with the registration process, so I can't join that forum, and there does not appear to be an alternative way to reach him. Does he have an account on this forum that I could send him a PM?

Thanks

-JCL
You can reach Dennis Erskine here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Home-Improvement/Erskine-Group-Inc-134577633257657/

I just emailed the admin of that board letting them know registration was broken.

jcl333

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Lindholm

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
OK, I found their website and sent a message with the contact form.

Is Dennis in CO with the Erskine Group, or is he in Santiago, Chile as it says in the Soundman2020 sig on the digistar forum?

-JCL
Those are two separate folks. Dennis is in Colorado.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks