What's new

Pre-Amp advise (1 Viewer)

Nippy

Auditioning
Real Name
Nippy
The reason I am curious about HTPC’s is twofold,
1) I stopped reviewing HT articles when I lost my vision and at that time, there was a lot of discussion about HTPC’s becoming something good for HT’s and I was just curious and wishing the concept had taken off.
2) AV components are not user friendly to someone with a vision issue, no narration. PC’s or at least Windows OS provide good narration for the most part. Though some information is not readable by a narrator overall a PC is a big contributor to my saneness, if that is possible. Navigating an HTPC interface with narration would be a huge benefit to me in setup, controlling my HT and being able to enjoy HT even more.

If I had my druthers, a pre/pro would be my first choice vs a AVR using the pre out’s. My current pre is simple, no bells and whistles which makes it less confusing when explaining to my wife if I need her help.

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions. I am on the hunt right now, still not sure the direction but that is the fun part, figuring it all out.

Nippy

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
So, my question, are the new AVR’s more streamlined or still include an abundance of overwhelming buttons, audio and video selections or are they now more refined. Easy enough for a blind person to set up or do the new AVR’s require a PHD in aeronautics.
This is one area where I think Denon and Marantz have a decided edge. My AV7702 MKII incudes easily understood explanatory graphic representations of various configuration items as well as a setup wizard that will actually walk you through basic configuration.

Here's a sample taken from an AV7703 but they're all more or less the same.

1670618404487.png

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My main concern is your vision. AV equipment is controlled and configured using visuals. I'm not aware of any way around that. As John showed above, they are a LOT more user friendly than they used to be, but the process of actually using them hasn't progressed as far as one might expect. Unless you spend big $ for a tablet based control system, that you can't modify yourself. Even the Harmony remotes, which were never all that friendly to set up, are no longer made.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Have you considered hiring a professional installer or calibrator to do the install and setup? It increases the cost, but might make you (and your wife :) ) happier in the end.

Nippy

Auditioning
Real Name
Nippy
John Dirk, very good information. I can’t see images but white text on a black background and zooming in I was able to follow the text. Seems to be simple enough. Denon and Marantz are good options to put on my list.

John Rice, I thank you for your concern regarding my vision. Fortunately, I use URC remotes, an MX 980 in my living room system and an MX 3000 in my HT. The URC software is readable by my narrator and converts to high contrast white text on a black background and when zoomed in I can still program the URC remotes. Since I program the remotes, I can set them up however I want, no fancy graphics just large plain text and in high contrast. Plus using macros simplify the operation of AV equipment and lights. I prefer hard button remotes; it is easier for me to remember the location but the MX3000 does have a touch screen, so I simplify what is on each screen to fit my needs.

Some time ago I checked out the tablet apps. If an iPad, Apple does provide a narrator in their iOS and can in some cases use Siri to speak commands. I seem to remember listening to a YT video where Amazon Echo was used to control the HT. Once I have a new pre-amp, I want to pursue a voice controlled remote or system of some sorts. Another fun project for sure.

Dave F, I live in a very rural region and the closest custom installer is 200 miles away. this is providing they are still in business after trying to survive the past three years. Even if they are in business, the cost would be too high when including travel time and expenses.

In the end, I may need the help of my wife or even a friend to setup a new pre-amp. My goal is to find a reasonable price pre-amp with the simplest GUI as possible. My wife nor any of our friends understand any of the AV world or even care, they only want to enjoy a movie. So the easier the setup the easier it is for me to explain, if need be, the process to whomever is helping me. I understand the setup, just can’t see the freaking GUI. I like challenges, every day is a challenge and I believe I can setup a new pre-amp and program my remote to operate the system.

Thanks again,
Nippy

Nippy

Auditioning
Real Name
Nippy
Hi,
John Dirk, very good information. I can’t see images but white text on a black background and zooming in I was able to follow the text. Seems to be simple enough. Denon and Marantz are good options to put on my list.

John Rice, I thank you for your concern regarding my vision. Fortunately, I use URC remotes, an MX 980 in my living room system and an MX 3000 in my HT. The URC software is readable by my narrator and converts to high contrast white text on a black background and when zoomed in I can still program the URC remotes. Since I program the remotes, I can set them up however I want, no fancy graphics just large plain text and in high contrast. Plus using macros simplify the operation of AV equipment and lights. I prefer hard button remotes; it is easier for me to remember the location but the MX3000 does have a touch screen, so I simplify what is on each screen to fit my needs.

Some time ago I checked out the tablet apps. If an iPad, Apple does provide a narrator in their iOS and can in some cases use Siri to speak commands. I seem to remember listening to a YT video where Amazon Echo was used to control the HT. Once I have a new pre-amp, I want to pursue a voice controlled remote or system of some sorts.

Dave F, I live in a very rural region and the closest custom installer is 200 miles away. this is providing they are still in business after trying to survive the past three years. Even if they are in business, the cost would be so high when including travel time and expenses.

In the end, I may need the help of my wife or even a friend to setup a new pre-amp. My goal is to find a reasonable price pre-amp with the simplest GUI as possible. My wife nor any of our friends understand any of the AV world or even care, they only want to enjoy a movie. So the easier the setup the easier it is for me to explain, if need be, the process to whomever is helping me. I understand the setup, just can’t see the freaking GUI. I like challenges, every day is a challenge and I believe I can setup a new pre-amp and program my remote to operate the system.

Thanks again,

Nippy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks