What's new

Height Speakers or Separate Amp (1 Viewer)

FrankieD

Auditioning
I am currently upgrading my theater setup. I have a 5.1.0 setup with Paradigm Premier speakers and an SVS sub. I am looking at purchasing a Denon X3800H AVR. That will leave me with enough $$$ to purchase either:
a pair of Def Tech Di5.5R in-ceiling height speakers
or
an Emotiva BasX 3 channel amp for the front sound stage speakers.

Which way would you go?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’d go with the Atmos speakers. That will give a more tangible improvement. Power is more about fine tuning.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Do you think you actually could use better/more power than the new AVR could provide? There's really no indication what's needed in your post -- we don't know room size, how loud you want to push the sound, etc. Maybe just defer that decision until you have enough experience w/ the new setup to decide better, if you're unsure?

Also, as a few others have recently opined on the (related) subject, you might also wanna consider expanding the listener level surround channels to 7 before adding (in-ceiling) Atmos speakers.

_Man_

FrankieD

Auditioning
Adding Rear speakers is difficult due to couch placement directly against the back mirrored wall. But, I appreciate the input and advice. Thank you.

sinisanav

Agent
Real Name
Sinisa Vujkovic
So, if your sourrounds are on the sides,and going 7.1 us not achievable , I would rather recommend Atmos ceiling speakers then the amp, for the sake of immersion. That Denon should have plenty power. But yes dimensions of your space would be important in figuring out what are your plans

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks