What's new

9 Channel AVR + Amplifier vs 11 Channel AVR (1 Viewer)

NTLKnight

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
I plan on setting up 11 channels of audio (LCR, SL/SR, RSL/RSR, Height 1/2, Height 3/4) in our home theater. My question is: What makes more sense, buying a 9 channel AVR with 11 channels of processing (like the Pioneer VSX-LX505)...and purchasing an additional amp to power the remaining 2 channels (and hopefully be able to assign 4 height speakers); or to buy an 11 channel AVR and run all 11 speakers from a single AVR?

If buying a separate amp for additional power, would it be best to get at least a 3 or 4 channel amp to power the LCR speakers separate from the AVR...and power the remaining channels with the AVR?

Thank you,
Nathan

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In general, what I recommend is getting an AVR with 11 channels of processing, but 9 channels of amplification, and using an external three channel amp to power the front LCR speakers. I do definitely recommend powering all three front channels with an external amp, rather than only two of them (L/R)

NTLKnight

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
Thank you, much appreciated. In that case I'm leaning towards the Pioneer VSX-LX505. With AVRs that have 9 channels + 2 extra processing channels...is it possible to configure the extra 2 channels to be whatever you need them to be?--(in my case the 3rd and 4th height (Atmos) speakers?)

(Could be in my head, but since I posted a few hours ago my interest in the Pioneer LX505, the 'open box' unit I was looking at jumped in price by $300, heh. Maybe the seller heard me.)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You should be able to configure all the channels to be powered however you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks