What's new

Which AVR Should I Buy? (1 Viewer)

NTLKnight

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
I'm about to buy my first AVR and I thought I'd ask your counsel before making a final decision.
  • I'll be setting up a 7.1(or2).4 Atmos system.
  • I am leaning towards buying used.
  • I don't mind a 9 channel system with 2 extra outs to be powered externally...coupled with a ($100'ish) cheap 2 channel amp.
  • Do all model AVRs that have an additional 2 channels for sending to external amps allow you to assign which channels are sent to an external amp?
  • I will consider an 11 channel system if it's not much more than $100 extra than a 9 channel system with additional amp.
  • Should I only look at models newer than 2016?
  • Auro 3D is not a must, but when I see Auro 3D as an option, I like that...to see if some movies sound better in Auro 3D over Atmos (as I've heard mentioned).
  • I'm currently eyeing the Denon AVR-X43000H (which I believe is a 2016 release), the AVR-X3800H (which I believe is a '22 release) and for an all-in-one 11 channel AVR, the Denon X3800H. I'm open to other options
Thank you for your time,
Nathan

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I basically agree. I would not buy a 2016 model, though actually 2022 on should be good. Honestly, don't worry about Auro-3D.

NTLKnight

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
I'm currently leaning towards the Definitive Technology CS9060 as my center channel. Do you have any comments about that choice? (I may consider the D7s (or greater...D9, D11) as front L/R speakers to go with it). The CS9060 is powered, does that mean I would be able to run outs from the AVR's un-powered outs directly to the speaker without an external amp? And the built-in subwoofer of the CS9060, would that connect directly to the AVR's Sub out?

NTLKnight

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
Denon X38000H (refurbished w/ 3 year warranty for $999) vs Pioneer Elite VSX-LX505 (new for $649).

Any comments between these 2? I understand the amps are a bit better on the Pioneer. The Auro 3D on the Denon was something I was interested in trying (switching between Atmos and Auro 3D to see the difference...as I've seen some reviews saying Auro 3D setting render better height audio). Apart from those 2 things, HDMI CEC is something the Denon has that the Pioneer doesn't, but I'm not sure what that is. Appreciate any comments before I pull the trigger.

Thanks,
Nathan

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Denon X38000H (refurbished w/ 3 year warranty for $999) vs Pioneer Elite VSX-LX505 (new for $649).

Any comments between these 2? I understand the amps are a bit better on the Pioneer. The Auro 3D on the Denon was something I was interested in trying (switching between Atmos and Auro 3D to see the difference...as I've seen some reviews saying Auro 3D setting render better height audio). Apart from those 2 things, HDMI CEC is something the Denon has that the Pioneer doesn't, but I'm not sure what that is. Appreciate any comments before I pull the trigger.

Thanks,
Nathan
I guess I wonder why you say the Pioneer has better amps.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
You can't go by those bot reviews, go by an actual review by humans. I found that actual site to be inaccurate when I briefly looked at it.

After having an Onkyo (pioneer elite is a clone), I returned and went back to Denon. I've owned Yamaha, Onkyo, and Denon and Denon is King. Onkyo takes shortcuts in processing and why they are cheaper as well as inferior.

Don't take my word for it, buy both, use both, and see for yourself.

Watch Amazon for a few months. They have dropped the price of the AVR-X3800h, NEW, sold and delivered by Amazon, down to $1100 on a few occasions for very short periods. Then back up by hundreds of dollars. Keep a close eye on it and you can get a great receiver for a fair price.

Last edited:

NTLKnight

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
Thanks for the reply. I haven't even powered on my Pioneer yet...buying speaker wire now and just got a 25' HDMI cable...so shortly I'll be able to test out the new speakers and the Pioneer. The only thing the 3800H had that I wanted (which the Pioneer doesn't have) is Auro3D.

Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks