What's new

Upgrading Catfisch Cinema 2024 (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
@John Dirk I know you returned your Anthem AVM 70 as it didn't suit your tastes. But, otherwise, did you look into the differences between the 70 and 90? I'm noodling on the new PrePro and the 70 at $4k is pretty good price compared to Marantz right now. And at a glance it seems everything one needs for a 7.2.4 setup. This isn't a pressing purchase for me.

But I'm trying to think through practical upgrade considerations in the next 12-18 months and how I might purchase them. Maybe even decide what I want and watch for it to have a sale, or a refurb option, or a used can't-pass-it-up price to "impulse" buy from an informed position.
Lucky you! Audioholics just released an exhaustive review of the AVM90. I don't agree with all of it's conclusions [specifically the one regarding the Web UI] but it's definitely worth a read. All things considered, I'm happy with my AV10 and would still recommend it in a world of imperfect options.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Lucky you! Audioholics just released an exhaustive review of the AVM90. I don't agree with all of it's conclusions [specifically the one regarding the Web UI] but it's definitely worth a read. All things considered, I'm happy with my AV10 and would still recommend it in a world of imperfect options.
Marantz AV10 at $7000 is way more than I want to spend on a processor. Plus its Dirac upgrade still isn’t fully baked, IIUC. If they ever launch a $4000 AV20, that could be much closer to my interests.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Marantz AV10 at $7000 is way more than I want to spend on a processor. Plus its Dirac upgrade still isn’t fully baked, IIUC. If they ever launch a $4000 AV20, that could be much closer to my interests.
Right. I believe we have different objectives in this area. My goal in ultimately purchasing the AV10 was to be set for the foreseeable future as I head into retirement. While I had the larger income stream, I over did it with my speakers, subs, processor and projector as they are all expected to last for the next decade or so. After that I suspect I'll be downsizing and have no further need of "immersive" gear.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Right. I believe we have different objectives in this area. My goal in ultimately purchasing the AV10 was to be set for the foreseeable future as I head into retirement. While I had the larger income stream, I over did it with my speakers, subs, processor and projector as they are all expected to last for the next decade or so. After that I suspect I'll be downsizing and have no further need of "immersive" gear.

Even if I were buying my One Last Processor :) , I don’t think the AV10 or AVM90 would be money well spent for myself. My hearing isn’t good anymore, so why spend an additional $3000+ to have top-end DACs and filters that make sonic improvements I’m not perceptive to?

My sole interest is getting a modern room correction system in hopes it will further improvement my overall Atmos experience. And in 2024, that entry price appears to be $4000 for the Anthem AVM70.

I hope Marantz releases an AV20 to compete at that step down-from-flagship level this year? I thought they were going to do this like a year or two ago. But so far, their lineup seems like a mess and I find no rumors of it improving. So I don’t know what’s going on with Sound United.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My hearing isn’t good anymore

My sole interest is getting a modern room correction system in hopes it will further improvement my overall Atmos experience. And in 2024, that entry price appears to be $4000 for the Anthem AVM70.

These two statements seem somewhat at odds with each other, but I think I still get your point. :)

The AVM70's OSD is horrible. No gentler way of putting it. The web UI is better but now you need to access it through a PC, tablet or phone and it still pales compared to the Marantz UI.

So I don’t know what’s going on with Sound United.
Maybe this. I also have concerns for the future of the Marantz brand but, as I said earlier "in a world of imperfect options" I'll take them over Anthem. Hopefully Anthem's next iteration of offerings will be improved in this area.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
But also there are basic surround sound improvements I think I can get that aren’t chasing perfect but unhearable 20 kHz sonics.

Getting better room correction. Better crossover management between two subs and front stage.

Multiple setups so I don’t have to totally compromise rear seat viewing (where is watch TV) to get best front seat audio (where I watch movies).

Anthem’s multiple ARC settings is *very* attractive to me.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Anthem’s multiple ARC settings is *very* attractive to me.
If that's the main thing you're after, the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app [which I believe works with the AV7703 and above] offers the same functionality along with the ability to limit the frequency range correction is applied to. Reviews are definitely mixed but, for $20.00, I'll probably give it a try.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If that's the main thing you're after, the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app [which I believe works with the AV7703 and above] offers the same functionality along with the ability to limit the frequency range correction is applied to. Reviews are definitely mixed but, for $20.00, I'll probably give it a try.
I hope you try it and share what you find in your Marantz thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks