What's new

Upgrading the DaveF household to 4K UHD (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
You seem like you have some money to spend. :)

I will address your points below.

1) CEDIA? I don't know. I suspect you have better insight and access than I do.

2) Mid range? Why even bother? I'm VERY happy with my Oppo 203. I know I I could sell it at a healthy profit these days but I haven't chosen to do so yet.

3) Perhaps but I'm happy with my 7702MKII.
I forget where all this has been discussed, but in short: my Marantz 7702mkII is working perfectly for 4K UHD HDR! Fortunately, it supports HDCP2.2 which I’ve found is the crucial technical detail necessary for streaming.

It can do everything my projector can do (4K HDR 60 Hz 4:4:4) so I’m good for now.

This saves me from upgrading AVR for a while longer. <whew>

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Watching The Dragon Prince (Netflix) in HDR, I’m knocked out by the rich, saturated colors. I don’t know if it’s the wider color gamut of a modern projector, the 10x better contrast, or just a slightly brighter projector, but the colors in High Lamp (HDR) are gorgeous.

I sold my prior Sony 40ES the same week I installed the NX7 so I wasn’t able to do the direct comparison I’d intended. But I’ve been running my Sony in High Lamp most of the past couple years. So I don’t think I’m simply experience “new bias”, and the new 4K projectors are a noticeable step up in quality from 2016-era HD projectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks