What's new

Dana's $20,000 Home Theater Build -- From the Ground, Up (1 Viewer)

DanaRuns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dana
Work continues with Kristian creating some massive bass traps and surround speaker enclosures. Here he is hard at work.

IMG_1656.JPG

Below is a build for a surround speaker, electricity to control lights and curtains, and additional sound absorbing material.

IMG_1654.JPG

IMG_1653.JPG

And here is a massive bass trap, which also contains electrical service for the (coming) concession stand. It had the added difficulty of having to be installed around my electrical panel, and still maintain access to that panel. A difficult design and execution.

IMG_1660.JPG

Today we begin arches and theater curtain tracks.

1669474474056.png

Next week will be soffits, crown moulding, and LED lights all over the place. The build should be completed sometime next week (I'm writing this on a Friday).

Last edited:

DanaRuns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dana
This is Kristian, the kind, very shy, sort of withdrawn gentleman who has been staying in my home, building out my home theater. Tell your wives that he is available to build one in your house, too. I'm sure they'll be all over that. I'm happy to give out his number to anyone who wants to build their theater. :D

Kristian 1.jpeg

Actually, he's a really nice guy. And he's smart, kind, and caring. The above was a character he played for a haunted house. Here's another photo of that character, "Mad Dogg." In real life he's a wonderful man who is expert at building home theaters. He works fast (he did my entire build in three weeks, all by himself), his work is excellent, he worked within my budget even though it was really tight, and he's an experienced AV guy. Plus, in real life he's pretty easy on the eyes, too.

Kristian 2.jpeg

He travels, and I'm happy to give out his contact info to anyone interested in getting a bid.

DanaRuns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dana
Okay, one weird question:

Which speakers should I unbox and use? I have two sets of bookshelf speakers in boxes, both unused: The ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2...

elac.jpeg

...and the B&W 686.

B&W686.jpeg

The ELAC are larger and more efficient, with a front port; the B&Ws are smaller and less efficient, with a rear port. Which would be the better choice for my L&R surround speakers, which will be housed in an enclosure?

surround enclosure.jpeg

Up front I have all B&W, with 802s for the L&R and HTM1 for the center, paired with twin SVS SB4000 subs. My Atmos speakers are RSL C34E MkII Edgeless In-Ceiling Speakers. All speakers are driven by a Marantz AV7706 pre/pro and an Emotiva XPA-11 power amplifier.

I haven't unboxed either set yet to test them. I'd rather keep one set intact and return them. My friend thinks the larger and more efficient ELAC speakers are the better choice over the small B&W 686s. The B&W 686s are less efficient and require more power than the ELAC, but I suspect (don't know) they would have better clarity and tonally match my LCRs. The Emotiva amp puts out 300 watts per channel for the LCR, but only 65 watts per channel for the surrounds and atmos speakers. But the 686s are also the smallest speakers at the end of B&W's 600 series.

A conundrum. Any knowledge out there?

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

DanaRuns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dana
We're almost there.

Less than three weeks later, my theater is almost complete. All that's left is clean-up, installing wall sconces and carpet, and hanging theater curtains.

HT1.jpeg

The "projector room" is completely built out. HVAC ducting moved and projector is installed in the projector room. And all the gear is in there with IR extenders and repeaters for control. In the theater, structures for bass traps and hiding speakers have been built, curtain arches installed, soffits and crown moulding with LED lights are installed, acoustic treatments have been installed, electrical has been run, all cables and wires have been run in ceiling and behind soffits, Atmos speakers installed in-ceiling, surround speakers installed in hidden structures, LCR speakers installed behind the screen, lighting (except sconces) has been installed, everything has been painted, theater seating has been installed, and everything has been programmed to be controlled by an iPad mini.

The acoustics went from horrible to good. The system has been tuned (though we will do one more after carpet goes in and everything is in final form). And by tomorrow we'll be ready to install the concession stand. I'm thrilled!

323873926_930565474598210_2160426755110391089_n.jpg

323917559_927663658616246_239942743117086278_n.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Okay, one weird question:

Which speakers should I unbox and use? I have two sets of bookshelf speakers in boxes, both unused: The ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2...

View attachment 169096

...and the B&W 686.

View attachment 169097
The ELAC are larger and more efficient, with a front port; the B&Ws are smaller and less efficient, with a rear port. Which would be the better choice for my L&R surround speakers, which will be housed in an enclosure?

View attachment 169101

Up front I have all B&W, with 802s for the L&R and HTM1 for the center, paired with twin SVS SB4000 subs. My Atmos speakers are RSL C34E MkII Edgeless In-Ceiling Speakers. All speakers are driven by a Marantz AV7706 pre/pro and an Emotiva XPA-11 power amplifier.

I haven't unboxed either set yet to test them. I'd rather keep one set intact and return them. My friend thinks the larger and more efficient ELAC speakers are the better choice over the small B&W 686s. The B&W 686s are less efficient and require more power than the ELAC, but I suspect (don't know) they would have better clarity and tonally match my LCRs. The Emotiva amp puts out 300 watts per channel for the LCR, but only 65 watts per channel for the surrounds and atmos speakers. But the 686s are also the smallest speakers at the end of B&W's 600 series.

A conundrum. Any knowledge out there?
I lean toward the ELACs, largely because they are front ported, but also due to their higher efficiency. Enclosing rear ported speakers is definitely less than ideal.

DanaRuns

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dana
That looks great Dana! I think you’ll have many hours of enjoyment in there! Where’s the concession stand? :)
Thanks. I'm having a blast, and look forward to many long hours of enjoyment. :)

Kristian's bed is still in there. As soon as it comes out (tomorrow) we'll work on the concession stand. Still looking for a suitable idea for a display, or counter, or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks