Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Song of the South

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
259 replies to this topic

#21 of 260 OFFLINE   John_McKittrick

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 05:39 AM

Ebert is a dumbass. Plain and simple.

To not release this DVD encourages piracy. People want this dvd and will get it. It's not that hard to find. If you're willing to forego the SE treatment that it deserves.

Doc
Long Live XBox and DVD!!

#22 of 260 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 06:00 AM

Here is a slightly more detailed version of Mr. Ebert's entirely reasonable viewpoint...

"I am against censorship and believe that no films or books should be burned or banned, but film school study is one thing and a general release is another," Ebert wrote in his Movie Answer Man column for the Chicago Sun-Times (www.suntimes.coindeebert.html). "Any new Disney film immediately becomes part of the consciousness of almost every child in America, and I would not want to be a black child going to school in the weeks after 'Song of the South' was first seen by my classmates."

While I do not know the impact of the film's release upon children in general, I tend to agree with Mr. Ebert on this topic. But that's just my unpopular ( in this thread ) opinion.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#23 of 260 OFFLINE   Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 06:12 AM

I finally saw the movie a short time ago, and enjoyed it well enough (I'm no great Disney fan, truth be told). Yes, I did wince a few times, but the film's treatment of its subject matter isn't really negative, just rather naive.

From whichever angle you look at the film's "message" however, it is a stunning visual achievement - something I suspect only a full restoration for DVD will bring out to its fullest.

#24 of 260 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 06:43 AM

I have never seen the film. But, I find it interesting that for a movie and characters that are supposed to be taboo. Disney based a ride (Splash Mountain) on it.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#25 of 260 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 07:01 AM

I have never seen this film either yet I have followed this debate whether or not it should be released with great interest over the past year here on the HTF.

Everytime I hear or read more about this, I am more and more eager to watch this.

Let's hope there is a release, and in the mean time does anybody know about a r2 release

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#26 of 260 OFFLINE   ChrisJefferys

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 09:52 AM

I've only seen this film once (during its last theatrical release roughly 20 years ago), so I don't remember it well enough to have opinions regarding its "controversial" content, but I hope to see a DVD release someday soon (I would settle for R2).

#27 of 260 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 10:29 AM

Quote:
While I do not know the impact of the film's release upon children in general, I tend to agree with Mr. Ebert on this topic.
If we accept the argument that the film should be kept out of the public’s hands due to its adverse impact on children, it logically follows that all films that are deemed harmful for viewing by children or that society believes should not be viewed by children should be withheld from the public at large and kept in research libraries.

However (at least in the States) a decision has been made that films of this type are withheld only from children and not from the mature public. This is done by a rating system.

Now it may be argued that the rating system is not correct and is easily to circumvent; but even if this is the case, it is the mechanism that is used to ‘protect’ children from films that are deemed unsuitable or harmful.

We do not lock up these films from the public and allow access only to academics.

Even with the full quote, I don’t buy Ebert’s argument. I do not believe that he has thought out his position all that well, as I do not think that it can withstand a logical analysis.
¡Time is not my master!

#28 of 260 OFFLINE   Ryan FB

Ryan FB

Second Unit

• 277 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 10:46 AM

I think the unexpected wild success (sales-wise) of the mostly-uncensored Disney Treasures line may be a contributing factor to convincing Disney to actually release this title on DVD.

If there's been an increase in children consuming alcohol and abusing animals due to the release of Mickey Mouse in Black & White (both activities are engaged in by the title character), I'd be pretty surprised.

#29 of 260 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 10:48 AM

Quote:
If we accept the argument that the film should be kept out of the public’s hands due to its adverse impact on children, it logically follows that all films that are deemed harmful for viewing by children or that society believes should not be viewed by children should be withheld from the public at large and kept in research libraries.

And how many of these other 'harmful' films are going to be released by Disney as 'family' titles, specifically targeting younger audiences? Therein lies the distinction between a film like Song of the South and other films such as the aforementioned Birth of a Nation, or Triumph of the Will.

- Walter.

#30 of 260 OFFLINE   Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit

• 376 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 11:02 AM

Quote:
And how many of these other 'harmful' films are going to be released by Disney as 'family' titles, specifically targeting younger audiences?
If that's such a problem, they can release it as a collector's title, targeting an older, more-aware audience.

RD
Ask Warner for a DVD SE of Here Comes The Navy (1934)!

#31 of 260 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 11:10 AM

That is one of the strategies that some believe might make the release of this title less objectionable, particularly if the film was marketed quietly in a manner that didn't have every child in America besieging their parents to purchase the film.

- Walter.

#32 of 260 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,193 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 11:45 AM

Why couldn't Disney release this using their "Miramax" division?

That way, there would be no question that it's not being marketed to children.

Heck, if they distribute it through Miramax they could even slap an "R" rating on it!
Joseph
---------------

#33 of 260 OFFLINE   Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 12:31 PM

Quote:
Hattie McDaniel as Aunt Tempy and James Baskett as Uncle Remus. Mr. Baskett was a little known, but brilliant actor who was only 42 years old when he played the Remus character. It was his final film.

He won an honorary academy award for SotS and is the first black person to ever be awarded an academy award. I'm unsure if this was mentioned in the media frenzy over Denzel Washington and Halle Berry. Unfortunately, I think this is forgotten since the film Baskett was awarded for is suppressed by Disney.

I think if Disney does decide to release this, expect it to be "Charlie Chan-ed" Posted Image
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

My DVD List at DVD Aficionado

#34 of 260 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 12:54 PM

Require you to mail order it with a credit card

Problem solved

#35 of 260 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 12:54 PM

I think the idea that an old Disney movie released on dvd is going to lead to a flood of children begging for it is a bit much. I doubt if kids are beseeching their parents like crazy to get the recently released Snowball Express. Or if you want to stick to animated fare, did the dvd of Fun & Fancy Free immediately become "part of the consciousness of almost every child in America"? I don't think so.

If Disney released this, they'd satisfy a relatively small but avid group of film lovers like us, and it would be below the radar of most families. I tend to agree with Roger Ebert a lot, but he's way off base on this one. Now, if Disney were planning on doing an animated version of Birth of A Nation for their next big theatrical release, that would be a different story.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#36 of 260 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,263 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 02:23 PM

Quote:
I think the idea that an old Disney movie released on dvd is going to lead to a flood of children begging for it is a bit much. I doubt if kids are beseeching their parents like crazy to get the recently released Snowball Express. Or if you want to stick to animated fare, did the dvd of Fun & Fancy Free immediately become "part of the consciousness of almost every child in America"? I don't think so.

You're absolutely correct. TONS of older Disney flicks fly totally under the radar of the vast majority of today's kids. The few who WOULD see Song probably would have parents who would want to discuss it with them.

Even if they don't, the concept that all of a sudden lots of kids will taunt black classmates on racial grounds is ridiculous. The last theatrical release of Song came in the early Eighties - as an early teen, I saw it then. Did any kids turn racist due to that? Were there incidents during which they made nasty comments to black peers happen? Of course not.

It's the adults who are causing the problems here. The kids - the few that see it, at least - would take it for what it is and not abruptly become racist...

Quote:
He won an honorary academy award for SotS and is the first black person to ever be awarded an academy award.

That'd be news to his co-star, Hattie McDaniel...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#37 of 260 OFFLINE   Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted July 11 2003 - 03:40 PM

they should just license this out to Anchor Bay or Criterion since they have done it before.

#38 of 260 OFFLINE   Brian W.

Brian W.

Screenwriter

• 1,958 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 11 2003 - 04:57 PM

Quote:
He won an honorary academy award for SotS and is the first black person to ever be awarded an academy award.

He's the first black actor, male actor, to win an Oscar. Hattie McDaniel won supporting actress several years earlier for Gone With the Wind.

#39 of 260 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,609 posts

Posted July 12 2003 - 02:39 AM

I believe Mr. Baskett's award was presented posthumously, after his death in 1948, as an honorary Oscar:

"For his able and heart-warming characterization of Uncle Remus, friend and story teller to the children of the world, in Walt Disney's Song of the South"

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#40 of 260 OFFLINE   Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit

• 377 posts

Posted July 12 2003 - 06:22 PM

Someone mentioned a segment of the film was on the "Behind the Scenes at the Disney Studios" DVD Set. I couldn't find it. Is this accurate?

Back to DVD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow