Song of the South

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff Swearingen, Jul 11, 2003.

1. John_McKittrick

John_McKittrick Stunt Coordinator

Ebert is a dumbass. Plain and simple.

To not release this DVD encourages piracy. People want this dvd and will get it. It's not that hard to find. If you're willing to forego the SE treatment that it deserves.

Doc

2. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Here is a slightly more detailed version of Mr. Ebert's entirely reasonable viewpoint...
    "I am against censorship and believe that no films or books should be burned or banned, but film school study is one thing and a general release is another," Ebert wrote in his Movie Answer Man column for the Chicago Sun-Times (www.suntimes.coindeebert.html). "Any new Disney film immediately becomes part of the consciousness of almost every child in America, and I would not want to be a black child going to school in the weeks after 'Song of the South' was first seen by my classmates."
    While I do not know the impact of the film's release upon children in general, I tend to agree with Mr. Ebert on this topic. But that's just my unpopular ( in this thread ) opinion.
    - Walter.

3. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

I finally saw the movie a short time ago, and enjoyed it well enough (I'm no great Disney fan, truth be told). Yes, I did wince a few times, but the film's treatment of its subject matter isn't really negative, just rather naive.

From whichever angle you look at the film's "message" however, it is a stunning visual achievement - something I suspect only a full restoration for DVD will bring out to its fullest.

4. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I have never seen the film. But, I find it interesting that for a movie and characters that are supposed to be taboo. Disney based a ride (Splash Mountain) on it.

5. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I have never seen this film either yet I have followed this debate whether or not it should be released with great interest over the past year here on the HTF.
    Everytime I hear or read more about this, I am more and more eager to watch this.
    Let's hope there is a release, and in the mean time does anybody know about a r2 release
    [​IMG]

6. ChrisJefferys

ChrisJefferys Stunt Coordinator

I've only seen this film once (during its last theatrical release roughly 20 years ago), so I don't remember it well enough to have opinions regarding its "controversial" content, but I hope to see a DVD release someday soon (I would settle for R2).

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

8. Ryan FB

Ryan FB Second Unit

I think the unexpected wild success (sales-wise) of the mostly-uncensored Disney Treasures line may be a contributing factor to convincing Disney to actually release this title on DVD.
    If there's been an increase in children consuming alcohol and abusing animals due to the release of Mickey Mouse in Black & White (both activities are engaged in by the title character), I'd be pretty surprised.

9. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

10. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

11. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

That is one of the strategies that some believe might make the release of this title less objectionable, particularly if the film was marketed quietly in a manner that didn't have every child in America besieging their parents to purchase the film.

- Walter.

12. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Why couldn't Disney release this using their "Miramax" division?

That way, there would be no question that it's not being marketed to children.

Heck, if they distribute it through Miramax they could even slap an "R" rating on it!

13. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Require you to mail order it with a credit card

Problem solved

15. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I think the idea that an old Disney movie released on dvd is going to lead to a flood of children begging for it is a bit much. I doubt if kids are beseeching their parents like crazy to get the recently released Snowball Express. Or if you want to stick to animated fare, did the dvd of Fun & Fancy Free immediately become "part of the consciousness of almost every child in America"? I don't think so.

If Disney released this, they'd satisfy a relatively small but avid group of film lovers like us, and it would be below the radar of most families. I tend to agree with Roger Ebert a lot, but he's way off base on this one. Now, if Disney were planning on doing an animated version of Birth of A Nation for their next big theatrical release, that would be a different story.

16. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

17. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Stunt Coordinator

they should just license this out to Anchor Bay or Criterion since they have done it before.

18. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian

19. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    I believe Mr. Baskett's award was presented posthumously, after his death in 1948, as an honorary Oscar:

"For his able and heart-warming characterization of Uncle Remus, friend and story teller to the children of the world, in Walt Disney's Song of the South"

RAH

20. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen Second Unit

Jeff
    Someone mentioned a segment of the film was on the "Behind the Scenes at the Disney Studios" DVD Set. I couldn't find it. Is this accurate?