Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

newbie questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Geoff P

Geoff P

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 01:57 AM

I'm renovating my apartment and want to build a HT with a plasma screen and have the cabling hiden within conduits in the wall.

1) Big question is what kind of cable should I use to connect the screen with the source?

As I have to pull the cable through a 3/4" conduit, a SCART won't fit. And if I get a plasma TV with its own tuner, that means a proprietary cable that won't fit either.

2) If I'm going to use the TV's own speakers when watching TV, I presume that I'll need to pull a L and R audio channel through the wall too. Correct?

3) Am I correct in thinking that all audio and video sources go into a receiver (yet to buy) and then there's just a single video connection to the TV, a stereo audio connection to TV, and a digital audio connection to my stereo?

thanks

Geoff

#2 of 4 Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 06:11 AM

Geoff what plasma TV are you buying. Some models lack speakers in them..actually most do. Something to consider. Mike
HT - Denon 3808ci | Elite Pro-111FD | PS3 60gb | Panamax 5300PM | NHT ST4 | NHT SB2 | NHT SC1 | SVS 20-39 | NHT SA3

#3 of 4 Geoff P

Geoff P

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted April 29 2003 - 12:54 PM

haven't totally decided which plasma TV yet, but I think I'll probably get a LG MT-24PZ12, as it's more affordable than most, and is being sold with speakers included.

#4 of 4 Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted April 30 2003 - 12:57 AM

Oh cool....I'm really surprised this thread has not been moved to the DIY page. You might have better luck in there. Mike
HT - Denon 3808ci | Elite Pro-111FD | PS3 60gb | Panamax 5300PM | NHT ST4 | NHT SB2 | NHT SC1 | SVS 20-39 | NHT SA3