What's new

My head is gonna explode, HELP! (2 Viewers)

jberthoty

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Is there one place I can get all the basic info? How does it all go together? I know SOME of it. I'm about to buy a new TV but now I have to figure out what works with what.

I DO understand, finally, OLED QLED and the variations. Would prefer OLED but afraid of burn-in. I have the TV on a LOT, often with Windows up with some static stuff.

Would go with Samsung QLED but want Dolby Vision and a better OS (Google TV maybe?)

HDMI 2.1
Earc (is it 2.1?)
Will my HT PC output pass through my Denon AVR everything it should?
Will my Roku 4k stick output pass through my Denon AVR everything it should?
Refresh rate? (I'm not a gamer)
HDR,, HDR 10, HDR 10+, Dolby Vision.

Can someone point me to some vids or articles that address all this stuff?
Thanks in advance and sorry for super-newbie questions. My AVR, HTPC, and TV (and knowledge) are old.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I know that at least on Windows 10, HDR is very iffy and even more so depending on the graphics card being used. Some PCs and motherboards may have built-in graphics cards that can support HDR10, but are hampered because the manufacturer cheaped out by installing HDMI 1.4a ports. How exactly are you using the HTPC?

As for the AVR, it would help if you provided the model number since you are saying that it is old.

Prepare yourself for the fact that you may need all new equipment.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, it will help to know what your goals are and the model numbers of what you have

jberthoty

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Thanks for responding guys. I'm using the HTPC basically by running Chrome and streaming from Prime, Netflix, Disney+, Max, Youtube, Youtube TV... All from the websites. I have a Roku stick into the AVR that passes through to the TV and sometimes use it to stream from the above listed services.

TV - Samsung UN65HU8500AF (purchased 5/21/2014)
ROKU - 3820 Streaming Stick 4K
AVR - Denon AVR-X1600H (supports input and output of 4K 3840 x 2160 pixels video signals of HDMI)
HTPC - Intel I5 (using onboard graphics, no GPU)

YANG

Screenwriter
to my understanding, most Samsung TVs up to date doesn't employ DV, but rather HLG HDR as well as HDR10.
for TV/Displays that have DV, look else where on other brands.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'm using the HTPC basically by running Chrome and streaming from Prime, Netflix, Disney+, Max, Youtube, Youtube TV... All from the websites.
I hope you are aware that by doing that, you cannot have the full 4K HDR experience as most of those services cap resolution, especially on Chrome, to 1080p at best, but usually 480p.

HTPC - Intel I5 (using onboard graphics, no GPU)
That doesn't tell us a whole lot, but if you are saying it's "old," it is very likely that the HDMI port is 1.4a. That is what the on-board HDMI port is on my ASUS gaming motherboard from 2019. I upgraded to a graphics card that supports HDMI 2.2, but it only supports HDR10. I'm not saying ditch the HTPC entirely, but maybe only use it for more typical PC activities like gaming or browsing and not streaming.

Also, curious why you feel you need eARC if everything is connected to the Denon receiver.

What I would recommend is to find the TV that has what you feel is the best picture. Don't worry about what OS the TV runs, especially if you already have a Roku Streaming Stick 4K, as I would just use that as the main source for streaming. The device supports HDR10, HDR10+, and Dolby Vision. With most TV operating systems, the apps do not get updated as often, especially after two years, and in many cases the OS is no longer supported by the manufacturer after three years. If a full keyboard is important, then you can use the Roku app on your smartphone which includes a full QWERTY keyboard.

If the HDR format that the TV supports is important to you, keep this in mind:

Samsung only supports HDR10, with HDR10+ support on their higher-end models.
LG and Sony only support HDR10, with Dolby Vision on their higher-end models and all OLED models.

The only brand that I am aware of that supports all three HDR formats is Hisense, and if that is vital to you, I would only look at their top of the line models, likely their U8 series. Keep in mind that this is a "bargain brand," so you won't get the higher quality chipsets and HDMI ports that you will find on the three brands listed above.

jberthoty

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I hope you are aware that by doing that, you cannot have the full 4K HDR experience as most of those services cap resolution, especially on Chrome, to 1080p at best, but usually 480p.

That doesn't tell us a whole lot, but if you are saying it's "old," it is very likely that the HDMI port is 1.4a. That is what the on-board HDMI port is on my ASUS gaming motherboard from 2019. I upgraded to a graphics card that supports HDMI 2.2, but it only supports HDR10. I'm not saying ditch the HTPC entirely, but maybe only use it for more typical PC activities like gaming or browsing and not streaming.

Also, curious why you feel you need eARC if everything is connected to the Denon receiver.

What I would recommend is to find the TV that has what you feel is the best picture. Don't worry about what OS the TV runs, especially if you already have a Roku Streaming Stick 4K, as I would just use that as the main source for streaming. The device supports HDR10, HDR10+, and Dolby Vision. With most TV operating systems, the apps do not get updated as often, especially after two years, and in many cases the OS is no longer supported by the manufacturer after three years. If a full keyboard is important, then you can use the Roku app on your smartphone which includes a full QWERTY keyboard.

If the HDR format that the TV supports is important to you, keep this in mind:

Samsung only supports HDR10, with HDR10+ support on their higher-end models.
LG and Sony only support HDR10, with Dolby Vision on their higher-end models and all OLED models.

The only brand that I am aware of that supports all three HDR formats is Hisense, and if that is vital to you, I would only look at their top of the line models, likely their U8 series. Keep in mind that this is a "bargain brand," so you won't get the higher quality chipsets and HDMI ports that you will find on the three brands listed above.
With my limited knowledge, I think DV is/will be important to support.
I'm using earc because before the Roku stick, I used some of the TVs built in apps and needed THEY'RE sound to go back to the AVR.
The OS of the TV can wear on you after day in and day out using a lousy interface.
of all the video formats, which do you and others think is most advantageous?
HDR 10
HDR 10 +
DV
I"ve kinda ruled out Hisense and TCL.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I would go with an LG C3 (or G3 if you can swing it) OLED and use the Roku for streaming. Connect the Roku and HTPC (if you still plan on using it) to the Denon AVR and the Denon to the TV. That is how I have mine setup, and frankly I never even touch the WebOS interface.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.