newbie questions

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Geoff P, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Geoff P

Geoff P Auditioning

I'm renovating my apartment and want to build a HT with a plasma screen and have the cabling hiden within conduits in the wall.

1) Big question is what kind of cable should I use to connect the screen with the source?

As I have to pull the cable through a 3/4" conduit, a SCART won't fit. And if I get a plasma TV with its own tuner, that means a proprietary cable that won't fit either.

2) If I'm going to use the TV's own speakers when watching TV, I presume that I'll need to pull a L and R audio channel through the wall too. Correct?

3) Am I correct in thinking that all audio and video sources go into a receiver (yet to buy) and then there's just a single video connection to the TV, a stereo audio connection to TV, and a digital audio connection to my stereo?

thanks

Geoff

2. Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D Stunt Coordinator

Geoff what plasma TV are you buying. Some models lack speakers in them..actually most do. Something to consider. Mike

3. Geoff P

Geoff P Auditioning

haven't totally decided which plasma TV yet, but I think I'll probably get a LG MT-24PZ12, as it's more affordable than most, and is being sold with speakers included.

4. Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D Stunt Coordinator

Oh cool....I'm really surprised this thread has not been moved to the DIY page. You might have better luck in there. Mike