What's new

Universal To Celebrate 100 Years in 2012 (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by John Hodson /t/316229/universal-to-celebrate-100-years-in-2012#post_3871029
I'm seeing encouraging signs that UK BD releases, as part of the celebrations, of To Kill A Mockingbird and All Quiet On The Western Front may be coming soon.
I'd buy both in a heartbeat.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/316229/universal-to-celebrate-100-years-in-2012#post_3871092
I'd be shocked if The Sting wasn't one of the films that comes to Blu-ray in 2012. I have the HD-DVD and am glad to have it, but it would only make sense for a film this honored to be given a Blu-ray release.
I just remember how long it took us to get a widescreen DVD release of The Sting. That seemed like it took forever.

Oh. Because it did!

Pete York

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Kevin EK /t/316229/universal-to-celebrate-100-years-in-2012#post_3870955
I just noticed a posting of a memo from Ron Meyer at Universal Studios, discussing next year's centennial of the studio:

"....All of this is designed to connect a new audience to our extraordinary library of films, as well as bring these memories back to longtime movie lovers...."

Emphasis added.

I admire the optimism guys, but to me, this just sounds like the latest crack at the 'evergreen' titles (which is perfectly fine) rather than deep catalog exploration.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
One that I'm sure will be held back is Midnight Run, since they're developing a sequel. But when that sequel hits, one can hope for a Blu-ray with new materials...

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
I would like to see "The Shadow" (Alec Baldwin) get the blu-ray treatment in it's original theatrical aspect ratio.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I'd like to see some of the Universal film noir get the blu-ray treatment.
Criss Cross, The Killers, Black Angel, Phantom Lady, The Big Clock, Scarlet Street, Cape Fear
Paramount but now owned by Universal
This Gun for Hire, The Glass Key, The Blue Dahlia
And while they are at it, how about Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.
Having said all this, I'm not holding my breath.
Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Terry Hickey said:
I would like to see "The Shadow" (Alec Baldwin) get the blu-ray treatment in it's original theatrical aspect ratio.
The Shadow just showed up on Amazon's Instant Video service, in the correct aspect ratio and in HD.
Doug

Thomas Agermose

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas Agermose Jensen
I'm waiting for:
Vertigo
Midnight Run
The 'Burbs
E.T.
Sneakers
Rest of Universal Hitchcock

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by moviepas /t/316229/universal-to-celebrate-100-years-in-2012#post_3871026
I just looked up the 2010 Wolfman and I can't see the Blu Ray of the 1941 version amongst the extras. What I do see is a streaming version whose certificate expired on June 30 2011. Any different?

Also Digital or streaming copies are no good outside America, it seems. A forthcoming Disney(Lady & the Tramp) gives the option of not having to take a copy and save a few bucks which I opted for. Warners have been putting Digital copies with their DVD extras on Blu Ray. I actually tried an experiment and copied the digital file with the DVD file and got a good copy of the Digital one and no sound on the DVD file. It was not possible to separate the files as they came up in one stream and the running time of the both versions combined. Another mystery.
I was wrong about it being an extra.

Crawdaddy

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Pete York said:
...this just sounds like the latest crack at the 'evergreen' titles (which is perfectly fine) rather than deep catalog exploration.
I think the just announced release of Honey, the Jessica Alba classic, disproves that. :)
Kevin EK said:
One that I'm sure will be held back is Midnight Run, since they're developing a sequel.  But when that sequel hits, one can hope for a Blu-ray with new materials...
Another group of titles that they're probably going to tie-in with the release of a new sequel is the first three American Pie movies.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Terry Hickey said:
The Shadow is already available if you're region-free.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
My hope for Universal's 100th is a big DVD box of classic monsters with the best quality prints of all of the films modeled on the Abbott & Costello Box and including all the films in the monster legacy collections (except maybe CFTBL), the 1943 Phantom, the Bela Lugosi Collection films (released before on DVD-18s), and some new content like Secret of the Blue Room and the 1931 Shadow shorts. I also would like to see Universal continue their Backlot collections, expecially with an Alan Ladd set. On BRD, I would like top quality issues of Rear Window and Vertigo and maybe some of the monster films or something from John Wayne.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
...as is Silent Running. HTF'ers locked to Region A might be interested in this post from another forum:
Silent Running Steelbook arrived today.
It's locked to Region B , however Region A players can play it by waiting for the onscreen wrong region notice to appear , then pressing STOP then MENU and this will take you directly to the menu and you can watch the film and extras.
This option seems to work on almost every disc from Optimum too.
When my Touch of Evil arrives, I'll see if the same workround applies...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks