What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Columbia Pictures’ 100th anniversary (2 Viewers)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Have you seen the secondary market for that? Current ebay listings are $70, and most of the sold copies were over $50.

Or they can just do another release of Columbia Classics volume 2.

It was much cheaper than that in the first several months after release IIRC -- more like $15-20+shipping for most of the titles from that set, including Social Network.

Heck! IF someone really wants the SN 4K quite that much, I'd gladly sell mine (inclusive of the 4K digital copy) for $30+shipping, LOL -- I really don't need better than my old BD... and already have the 4K digital. :P

_Man_

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
An interesting side note re LoA.

When discussing bringing it out on home video, the studio concept was simple.

Lawrence is a Columbia catalog title, The studio has many catalog titles, and Lawrence is just another one. Nothing special.
Just another glass of lemonade :rolleyes: ...

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
The Columbia 100th Anniversary bundle is now up at Vudu. (At least for viewing...still can't buy for a few more hours.)

It is not the same 100 movies that Vudu has had on sale for the past week or so, but there is some overlap.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The Columbia 100th Anniversary bundle is now up at Vudu. (At least for viewing...still can't buy for a few more hours.)

It is not the same 100 movies that Vudu has had on sale for the past week or so, but there is some overlap.

Best to wait for Apple/iTunes me thinks... unless they're definitely not participating in this sale...

_Man_

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Lord Jim should be 4k.
Yup, Freddie Young shooting on 65mm. I should cocoa. The film's no Lawrence, but I've always enjoyed it, & it could & should look stunning.
I truly hope LORD JIM is released this year for Columbia's 100th.
Richard Brooks.

Peter O’ Toole.

Freddie Young.

And the almost unadaptable Joseph Conrad.

This is Lord Jim.

Let it also be a part of Columbia’s 100th

FILE UNDER: The last time I saw pixels.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Scroll to the bottom of the Itunes page for link to Bundle. Not sure how to make a more direct link. Apparently there are a couple title that won't overlap with Vudu/MA -- Dick and one other title that wasn't reported.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Scroll to the bottom of the Itunes page for link to Bundle. Not sure how to make a more direct link. Apparently there are a couple title that won't overlap with Vudu/MA -- Dick and one other title that wasn't reported.

I posted the link just ahead of your post

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I posted the link just ahead of your post

I saw and deleted the redundant link but left a couple of pieces of information. For some reason my eyes saw the text but didn't see the link until a few minutes later when I went to edit my post. It took me a minute to figure out how to get the bundle to show up once I got to Itunes. The report on the 2 non-transferring title was reported from reddit I think and I can't confirm that information yet. I think the 2nd title that isn't MA was the mislabeled Fail-Safe (2000) but the item for sale was the original 1967 version which is MA compatible so maybe it's just one title

The VUDU site is just spinning and won't load yet

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I commented on this in another thread...

This is a very uninspiring list of 100 years of Columbia Pictures.

I don't know who ends up picking the titles that make up such an important list like this, but the selections are very sad considering so many great classics that should have been on it were left off.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
As I expected I already have most of the films I would want from the 100 film set. As Ron said there are some strange choices included. They may be someone's favorite so I won't mention what I think are unusual choices. A couple films I want but don't have, "Talk of The Town" and "The More The Merrier"that are included. I have never seen available individually for less than $12.50 each . Interesting no "Laurence of Arabia", "Lord Jim", "The Wild One", "From Here to Eternity", "On The Waterfront", " Bridge On The River Quai" , "Cover Girl", or any Barbra Streisand movies included in the 100.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
As I expected I already have most of the films I would want from the 100 film set. As Ron said there are some strange choices included. They may be someone's favorite so I won't mention what I think are unusual choices. A couple films I want but don't have, "Talk of The Town" and "The More The Merrier"that are included. I have never seen available individually for less than $12.50 each . Interesting no "Laurence of Arabia", "Lord Jim", "The Wild One", "From Here to Eternity", "On The Waterfront", " Bridge On The River Quai" , "Cover Girl", or any Barbra Streisand movies included in the 100.
Catalog titles are just catalog titles. None of them are of greater importance than the next. General rule: If they’re color, they’re more important.

Much like a mattress sale. They’re all basically the same.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I truly hope LORD JIM is released this year for Columbia's 100th.

Jord Jim certainly would warrant a Blu-ray and/or UHD release and Barabbas, too.

Both have not been very successful when they were released but both offer stunning images and deserve to be rediscovered in appropriate quality.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The 70mm print I saw all those decades ago had stunning images. I don't understand why this film seems to be ignored by Sony. I have it on DVD but why has there been no Blu-ray?

Lord Jim was shot in 65mm and it is a rather long movie - that makes work on it much more costly compared to regular 35mm productions with a length that on average will probably be less than 2 hours.

And there already is a Blu-ray but you probably want to avoid it as it is based on the old DVD era master:

Admittedly it is not as bad as the Blu-ray of Barabbas but in both cases there clearly is a reason that these were never released by Sony directly.

Last edited:

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
I am looking forward to this promotion even though I agree many of us will own most of what is being offered.

However, even if we own 50 of the 100 films, $2 each is not a bad price for a digital copy.
If they are titles that you want to own then it's a good deal. However I find that these "bundles" always consist of several titles I already have and several titles that I have no interest in. If there should be a few titles that I would want but don't already have, I'll just buy the individual titles separately.

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
Shout Factory would likely release The Three Stooges on blu as they licensed a lot of Columbia's back catalogue these past few years.

Columbia last released anything of The Stooges was in 2016 for a complete DVD collection.
Then the complete DVD Stooges collection should be released on Blu-ray, just as Universal did with there Monsters collection. First the full set on DVD, then released on Blu-ray.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Then the complete DVD Stooges collection should be released on Blu-ray, just as Universal did with there Monsters collection. First the full set on DVD, then released on Blu-ray.

Studios aren't releasing much of their own older back catalogue these days, boutique companies such as Shout Factory and Mill Creek are the ones doing that.

maxfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter
Studios aren't releasing much of their own older back catalogue these days, boutique companies such as Shout Factory and Mill Creek are the ones doing that.
But we're talking Colombia's 100th Anniversary. IMHO it should be part of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks