What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Columbia Pictures’ 100th anniversary (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
As I expected I already have most of the films I would want from the 100 film set. As Ron said there are some strange choices included. They may be someone's favorite so I won't mention what I think are unusual choices. A couple films I want but don't have, "Talk of The Town" and "The More The Merrier"that are included. I have never seen available individually for less than $12.50 each . Interesting no "Laurence of Arabia", "Lord Jim", "The Wild One", "From Here to Eternity", "On The Waterfront", " Bridge On The River Quai" , "Cover Girl", or any Barbra Streisand movies included in the 100.

You're probably only looking at the Apple/iTunes bundle. Looks like the Vudu bundle actually has some of those (and generally more of the better known/desired classics, including some recent popular ones) and more already in 4K... However, I already own most of the ones of interest in 4K and can just get the few remaining w/ Fandango codes I've been earning w/ my newly prolific movie-going (due to recent A-List membership)...

There might also be enough of interest in the Apple/iTunes bundle for me (in part because I had been avoiding most MA-eligible titles until they get 4K upgraded) -- not sure just yet...

Interesting that there's actually not a ton of overlap between the Apple/iTunes and Vudu bundles -- wish the Apple/iTunes one had a bit more from the Vudu bundle that I woulda wanted. Plus neither bundle seems to include anything from the year-plus-old, big-ish Sony Classics 4K boxset -- glad I did recently buy a couple of those on sale afterall.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Interesting that the Microsoft bundle looks identical(?) to the Apple/iTunes one, but the Vudu one is largely different (and mostly better, but again, they don't generally offer free 4K upgrades after purchase unlike Apple/iTunes). The Vudu one might be worth it for someone completely new to digital collecting (and don't already own much of the titles on 4K discs w/ included 4K DCs, including some of the previous Columbia Classics 4K sets)...

Also, for whatever reason, the previous Vudu link, which also shows up prominently on their own site, doesn't seem to work (or just keep staying busy "loading") while the (apparently different) Vudu link provided at the dedicated Sony/Columbia 100 site works instantly.

_Man_

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Interesting that the Microsoft bundle looks identical(?) to the Apple/iTunes one, but the Vudu one is largely different (and mostly better, but again, they don't generally offer free 4K upgrades after purchase unlike Apple/iTunes). The Vudu one might be worth it for someone completely new to digital collecting (and don't already own much of the titles on 4K discs w/ included 4K DCs, including some of the previous Columbia Classics 4K sets)...

Also, for whatever reason, the previous Vudu link, which also shows up prominently on their own site, doesn't seem to work (or just keep staying busy "loading") while the (apparently different) Vudu link provided at the dedicated Sony/Columbia 100 site works instantly.

_Man_

I just checked the VUDU Bundle and it appears to be identical to Itunes. I was finally able to get it to load tonight and double checked after seeing your post. There was a different list posted somewhere a few days ago or last week, but turned out that list had nothing to do with this 100 for 100 Bundle.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I just checked the VUDU Bundle and it appears to be identical to Itunes. I was finally able to get it to load tonight and double checked after seeing your post. There was a different list posted somewhere a few days ago or last week, but turned out that list had nothing to do with this 100 for 100 Bundle.

Huh... you're right. Looks like the Vudu link from Sony's official site changed again, and now, it does look identical to the iTunes bundle.

Oh well... Maybe there was some problem w/ the correct link before (as I just couldn't get the one promoted by Vudu to work/load), so Sony put the other link of essential classics and recent movies that are also on sale for this celebration on their site until the correct link problem was resolved?

_Man_

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Yes the 100 Essential Columbia Pictures films listed on VUDU ( this is not the $100 deal) is a much better selection of films than the films included in the deal Sony is offering. A little light on the 30's and '40's films I love ( I probably could come up with 100 Columbia Pictures I want from those 20 years alone) but a great selection. I guess I was the one who posted this VUDU list earlier in the thread before the actual films in the deal were announced but I did say in that post the films in this list were probably not the films included in the $100 bundle. Sorry for any confusion this caused. Some of the Columbia essential films on VUDU list are included in the $100 bundle but many are not.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yes the 100 Essential Columbia Pictures films listed on VUDU ( this is not the $100 deal) is a much better selection of films than the films included in the deal Sony is offering. A little light on the 30's and '40's films I love ( I probably could come up with 100 Columbia Pictures I want from those 20 years alone) but a great selection. I guess I was the one who posted this VUDU list earlier in the thread before the actual films in the deal were announced but I did say in that post the films in this list were probably not the films included in the $100 bundle. Sorry for any confusion this caused. Some of the Columbia essential films on VUDU list are included in the $100 bundle but many are not.

Sony added to the confusion by providing that same link/list on their own 100for100 site alongside the iTunes and Microsoft links while the correct link didn't seem to be working the previous couple days (until sometime overnight when David checked again)...

And yeah, there aren't many on that list actually included in the 100for100 sale. But if anyone wants those better "essentials", looks like they're all on sale to varying degrees (mostly for $5-6?) nonetheless -- probably worth grabbing at least the 4K ones at that price, if one doesn't already own them... and presumably, Amazon will PM many/most of them, if some wanna use their "no rush" reward credits...

_Man_

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT LAUNCHES GENRE-BASED PERSONALITY QUIZ FOR COLUMBIA PICTURES' 100TH ANNIVERSARY
e6d2f9c3-e399-fce6-b173-f91059f90fbc.jpg
Studio To Unveil Next Phase of Columbia Pictures’ 100-Year Milestone As It Invites Fans To Discover Their Cinematic DNA
Los Angeles, CA (February 8, 2024): In honor of the 100th anniversary of Columbia Pictures, Sony Pictures Entertainment [SPE] proudly announces the launch of a unique genre-based personality quiz, marking a first of this scale for the studio. This quiz invites fans to dive into the legacy of some of the studio’s most iconic features and series, offering a personalized and unparalleled experience in celebration of this significant milestone.

Created by Sony Pictures Digital Marketing in collaboration with Watson Design Group, the quiz provides a unique and interactive digital fan experience, and signals the next phase of many celebratory initiatives planned for its iconic anniversary. Participants answer entertaining general interest questions, which upon completion, a custom personality type based on genre and a curated list of recommended Sony films and TV series are presented, encouraging the rediscovery of the studio’s expansive catalog of film and TV titles. The results are then shareable with friends and family across social media.

"Envisioning an experience where fans could not just watch but see themselves within our iconic titles, we designed a dynamic personality quiz that takes them on a captivating journey through our extensive library,” explained Rose Phillips, Senior Vice President, Global Digital Marketing and Social, Sony Pictures Entertainment. “This is a chance for fans to relive or rediscover our cherished titles, capturing a piece of our studio’s historic legacy to share on social media, and a fun way for fans to express their TV and movie interests while forging a deeper emotional bond during our fan-led celebration of the studio’s 100th anniversary.”

As part of the commemoration, fans can expect to encounter beloved movie titles and characters, such as GHOSTBUSTERS, TAXI DRIVER, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE, ANNIE, SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE, FUNNY GIRL, MEN IN BLACK, and many more. Characters like Peter Parker [SPIDER-MAN], Walter White [BREAKING BAD], and Jerry Maguire will also play a significant role in the personalized quiz experience.

The quiz ties seamlessly into the yearlong celebration of Columbia Pictures' centennial, capturing 100 years of iconic titles. It follows the recent TikTok “My Life As A Movie” custom filter, now Sony Pictures’ most-used organic TikTok filter. Additionally, Columbia Pictures has released a celebratory video highlighting some of the best films and TV series. Watch now here.

The quiz launches on February 8, 2024 in the U.S, and released globally with localized versions in an additional 8 international markets. Users can participate in the quiz at www.columbiapictures100.com, join the celebration using #ColumbiaPictures100 and follow along via the below social media channels. Fans can also explore and add their favorite Columbia Pictures titles to their personal collection at www.sonypictures.com.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm starting to get bad vibes over the pace of announcements of blu ray & 4k disc releases from the studios in their centenary year.

Me too. We are already towards April and nothing announced for Sony or MGM (if Warner is celebrating).

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
I wonder if we will get The Owl and The Pussycat uncut back in the original R rated theatrical release.
Never happen as long as Streisand is alive. Also one of my lost favorites. I saw this in magnetic stereo in 1969, Castle Keep, the best film Pollock ever made. They said the book was unfilmable and he translated it perfectly.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Since this seems as good a place as any to mention it, Sony will apparently be releasing the 1933 pre-Code film Cocktail Hour on (pressed) Blu-ray as part of their MOD line on March 19 (I found this out on Blu-ray.com).

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
PEPE is now on , of all places, TUBI . It is widescreen, stereo and HD! Is there any hope it will become available for purchase on iTunes, VUDU or Amazon?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks