What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Columbia Pictures’ 100th anniversary (1 Viewer)

bobclampett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Banks
Single 4k discs from their Big Box Of Completely Unrelated Movies sets 1 to 4 would be a good start. 4k singles of Dollars, The Anderson Tapes, The Chase, Lady From Shanghai, The Face Behind The Mask would be great. Glenn Ford made many great movies at Columbia, how about some of those. A Blu Ray of Shamus. Just hope they do a better job than Warner Brothers 100th anniversary non-event.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Single 4k discs from their Big Box Of Completely Unrelated Movies sets 1 to 4 would be a good start. 4k singles of Dollars, The Anderson Tapes, The Chase, Lady From Shanghai, The Face Behind The Mask would be great. Glenn Ford made many great movies at Columbia, how about some of those. A Blu Ray of Shamus. Just hope they do a better job than Warner Brothers 100th anniversary non-event.
+1

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
History and legacy is something Columbia is proud of, so we should see a good amount of their vast library get released before the end of this year.

Reactions: PMF

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
History and legacy is something Columbia is proud of, so we should see a good amount of their vast library get released before the end of this year.

Well, I hope so, but...

Look at what happened with Warner Bros. and their 100th Anniversary. It was a complete dud if you think about how much could have been released.

However, in saying that, I don't think I can completely blame them. With a shrinking physical media market, I am certain they looked at the costs of putting out a huge amount of product vs. how much they would sell and recoup.

We could be looking at the same situation with Columbia. It doesn't surprise me that the first thing they announce is a digital campaign for the upcoming year.

I am sure there will be some surprisingly superb 4k announcements for physical media. How much of that there will be is yet to be seen.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Knowing how much I enjoy this film, a colleague from Sony sent this to me today …I thought he was serious, yet it was an early April Fools joke. Regardless, we will be seeing a lot of great titles from Sony this year!!!

View attachment 209119
I would love PEPE released on 4K....even blu ray. The uncut version would be awesome!

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Then on January 16th, in addition to an overall digital movie sale, there will be a “100 movies for $100” digital bundle available at participating digital retailers, featuring such acclaimed and iconic titles as THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI, TOOTSIE, 2012, MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON and many more. Visit 100for100sale.com for more information.
130396.jpg

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

While I agreed w/ you, I also wonder if we're not better served by this point if they *don't* bother trying to release every one of those from the 4 boxsets as standalones... simply because that may well be a poor business decision at this late juncture.

Most who want those 4K discs (at least from first 3 sets) probably already had decent opp to buy them affordably whether w/in the boxsets (even in steeply discounted bargains as I have) *or* as standalones on the 2ndary market me thinks (and the sets were already packaged in ways making that very simple and straightforward to boot). AFAIK, only Lawrence of Arabia 4K was extremely hard to get as standalone at reasonable prices (both ways)... and even I was finally able to get the steelbook sometime last year too. So yes, definitely do another reissue/repressing of LoA 4K, but not sure most of the others need that... and I suspect Sony probably feels they've already sufficiently tested the standalone breakout option w/ LoA and Dr Strangelove -- Dr Strangelove did not seem to sell like gangbusters unlike LoA.

Sure, ideally, I'd also like to see 4K standalones for all worthy titles -- and every single one in those boxsets is worthy me thinks (even though I don't actually love all of them) -- but we don't live in that world/reality... and the bizz is far from booming (or can apparently sustain such) anymore...

So I'd much rather they move onward and release other worthy titles in 4K instead (besides a few specific cases like LoA and Dr Strangelove perhaps... but surely, we don't still need Social Network 4K, for instance, as standalone even though I like that film a great deal, right?)...

Offhand, of the already released 4K boxsets, one other clear exception AFAIK would be The City of Lost Children just because the old BD was very subpar -- most of the rest of that boxset probably do not warrant standalone reissues (though Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was already previously released in 4K)... though I'm sure most of them have significant fans/following, perhaps especially The Devil's Backbone for another (though we at least have that on a good Criterion BD).

_Man_

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Well, I hope so, but...

Look at what happened with Warner Bros. and their 100th Anniversary. It was a complete dud if you think about how much could have been released.

So far Universal Studios is the only successful 100th Anniversary, as WB, Disney, and Paramount were all bombs.

20th Century Fox won't make it to it's 100th as Disney owns them now. There last big anniversary was the 75th in 2010.

MGM 100th is this year, but I'm highly doubtful of anything happening though.

So with Universal being the lone successful centennial celebration, Columbia has the potential of having just as a successful anniversary as well.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
An interesting side note re LoA.

When discussing bringing it out on home video, the studio concept was simple.

Lawrence is a Columbia catalog title, The studio has many catalog titles, and Lawrence is just another one. Nothing special.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
but surely, we don't still need Social Network 4K, for instance, as standalone even though I like that film a great deal, right?)...
Have you seen the secondary market for that? Current ebay listings are $70, and most of the sold copies were over $50.

Or they can just do another release of Columbia Classics volume 2.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Have you seen the secondary market for that? Current ebay listings are $70, and most of the sold copies were over $50.

Or they can just do another release of Columbia Classics volume 2.
Or re-release 1,2,3 and lower Volume 4 to match the prior pricings of the former.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Or re-release 1,2,3 and lower the price of volume 4 to match the prior pricing or the former.

Volume 3 is still available at Amazon for under $80. I jumped on that right after Christmas.

I just wish I wasn't late to the party on the other two sets as I think that volume 2 has the best selection out of the three existing sets. I got the digital bundle for volume 1 from Vudu when they had it on sale for $20 or so, and that was fine for me.

But yeah, Sony could probably get some decent money from re-releases of the first two sets.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yup, Freddie Young shooting on 65mm. I should cocoa. The film's no Lawrence, but I've always enjoyed it, & it could & should look stunning.
The 70mm print I saw all those decades ago had stunning images. I don't understand why this film seems to be ignored by Sony. I have it on DVD but why has there been no Blu-ray?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks