What's new

Sony Pictures to celebrate Columbia Pictures 100th Anniversary in 2024 (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I hope this 100th Anniversary celebration includes more classic movies being released on 4K/UHD and Blu-ray.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I hope this 100th Anniversary celebration includes more classic movies being released on 4K/UHD and Blu-ray.

I would suspect so. Along with MGM celebrating its anniversary next year, there should hopefully be many 4k releases that will excite collectors.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would suspect so. Along with MGM celebrating its anniversary next year, there should hopefully be many 4k releases that will excite collectors.
I hope so but I have to admit that I was disappointed with Warner’s output during their 100th anniversary celebration this year.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I hope so but I have to admit that I was disappointed with Warner’s output during their 100th anniversary celebration this year.

Yup. I mostly kept my comments to myself over the past few months when I realized that we were at the close of Warner's 100th Anniversary year when we realized we got...what...about eight 4k releases from the studio?

Completely underwhelmed. And then one of their most requested releases, THE EXORCIST comes out in a bare-boned release with one of the worst photoshopped covers that ever adorned a home video release.

...but then we have already talked endlessly about that.

I suppose in this day and age, Warner Bros. can't be completely criticized for what we got this year. Physical media is on the decline and there just isn't the kind of budget for a studio to release the kind of output we would expect from an anniversary year. And, if rumors about GONE WITH THE WIND for MGM's 100th are even true, the cost of its restoration has to be significant for Warner. Finally, Warner has thrown a lot of money into their Archive program, restoring a wealth of titles throughout the year. That's very costly for them.

So, in the end, I tend to give them slack.

With Sony, I hope that they do single 4k releases of some of the titles that were exclusive to their Columbia Classics sets.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
This line from the article at least gives hope of more to come.

In honor of the anniversary, publisher Assouline will release a commemorative book highlighting 100 moments of Columbia Pictures, and the studio will host festival screenings, live concerts of prominent film scores, debut curated home entertainment products celebrating the scope of the studio’s library.
Presumably this means more than Lady with the Lamp plush toys.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
The word 'curated' always worries me (might just be some fancy repackaging!). Let's see what comes out. Columbia and MGM anniversaries, Cameron's films, should make 2024 a good year although I expect it to be downhill after that.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I'm sure the other forum will start grabbing the knives if this doesn't lead to a DV steelbook of CE3K with the original burned in subtitles restored.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe I went to a part of the celebration for Columbia's 50th where they held a free 24 hour marathon at large screen venues like the Boston Music Hall of the best of Columbia Pictures ending with the premiere of the Odessa File .Films shown included It Happened One Night, His Girl Friday, All The King's Men, On The Waterfront, Bridge On The River Kwai, Laurence of Arabia, and Funny Girl. No tickets. People could come and go as they pleased.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well I'll be the first to mention a couple of large format holdouts :)

Barabbas (1961)
Lord Jim (1965)
MacKenna's Gold (1969) - I think some of that troubled production was shot in large format.
Much as I’d like them (not so sure about MacKennas Gold!) I very much doubt they will appear as a Columbia Pictures celebration, which I assume will concentrate on critically acclaimed classics.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The word 'curated' always worries me (might just be some fancy repackaging!). Let's see what comes out. Columbia and MGM anniversaries, Cameron's films, should make 2024 a good year although I expect it to be downhill after that.
I wouldn't mind a lower-cost repackaging of the Lawrence of Arabia UHD. I still do not have that title on UHD, as I didn't want the multi-film set.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Much as I’d like them (not so sure about MacKennas Gold!) I very much doubt they will appear as a Columbia Pictures celebration, which I assume will concentrate on critically acclaimed classics.
Yup, I’m sure you’re right. The trouble with critically acclaimed classics is they have usually been released a few times before, so maybe now 4K with a box of tat.

They should definitely do Cat Ballou (1965), they did a brilliant transfer, but it’s only been released via Twilight Time (long sold out - I have it) & The Devil At 4 O’Clock (1961) with Frank Sinatra & Spencer Tracy!

…yes, & a single & easy to buy 4K Lawrence Of Arabia.

Last edited:

rojobin

Grip
Real Name
Bob
Yup. I mostly kept my comments to myself over the past few months when I realized that we were at the close of Warner's 100th Anniversary year when we realized we got...what...about eight 4k releases from the studio?

Completely underwhelmed. And then one of their most requested releases, THE EXORCIST comes out in a bare-boned release with one of the worst photoshopped covers that ever adorned a home video release.

...but then we have already talked endlessly about that.

I suppose in this day and age, Warner Bros. can't be completely criticized for what we got this year. Physical media is on the decline and there just isn't the kind of budget for a studio to release the kind of output we would expect from an anniversary year. And, if rumors about GONE WITH THE WIND for MGM's 100th are even true, the cost of its restoration has to be significant for Warner. Finally, Warner has thrown a lot of money into their Archive program, restoring a wealth of titles throughout the year. That's very costly for them.

So, in the end, I tend to give them slack.

With Sony, I hope that they do single 4k releases of some of the titles that were exclusive to their Columbia Classics sets.
I just KNEW Warners were going to release (1938) Adventures Of Robin Hood to look as good as Wizard Of Oz in 4K!... (I was wrong) 😔

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I just KNEW Warners were going to release (1938) Adventures Of Robin Hood to look as good as Wizard Of Oz in 4K!... (I was wrong) 😔

I was dumbfounded that AORH (1938) was not announced for 4k during the 100th Anniversary year. That is one of their crown jewel titles and would have gone a long way in representing their classic film interests for the year rather than the more modern titles they chose to release instead (none of which weren't bad decisions by any means)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
And, if rumors about GONE WITH THE WIND for MGM's 100th are even true, the cost of its restoration has to be significant for Warner.
I think if we see Gone with the Wind on 4K next year, it will be in honour of the film's 85th anniversary rather than MGM's centenary. MGM was only the film's distributor... it was a Selznick International Picture. Either way, I hope we see it! :)

As for Columbia, I'd love to see The Taming of the Shrew (1967), but won't get my hopes up.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I think if we see Gone with the Wind on 4K next year, it will be in honour of the film's 85th anniversary rather than MGM's centenary. MGM's only the film's distributor... it was a Selznick International Picture. Either way, I hope we see it! :)

Selznick owned GWTW for just 3 years, until 1942 when he sold his entire studio for tax reasons. Selznick solid his share of Wind to his business partner, John Whitney for $500,000 who then sold it to MGM for $2.8 million. Since 1942 MGM has had complete ownership of Wind for 81 years now.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
This line from the article at least gives hope of more to come.

In honor of the anniversary, publisher Assouline will release a commemorative book highlighting 100 moments of Columbia Pictures, and the studio will host festival screenings, live concerts of prominent film scores, debut curated home entertainment products celebrating the scope of the studio’s library.
Presumably this means more than Lady with the Lamp plush toys.
Wouldn't a Lady with the Lamp Barbie be more fitting?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks