What's new

Universal To Celebrate 100 Years in 2012 (1 Viewer)

Pete York

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by ahollis /t/316229/universal-to-celebrate-100-years-in-2012/30#post_3872862
What Comcast should do is partner with Fox on their Movie Classic Channel and try to give TCM a run for their money....
TCM has nothing to worry about. I recently saw that Fox Movie Channel, starting in January, is adding commercials and recent movies in an attempt to...whatever, do something. Make money, clearly.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Pete York /t/316229/universal-to-celebrate-100-years-in-2012/30#post_3873032
TCM has nothing to worry about. I recently saw that Fox Movie Channel, starting in January, is adding commercials and recent movies in an attempt to...whatever, do something. Make money, clearly.
Say it ain't so! Going the way of AMC! How tragic for us movie lovers. Argh!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I remember FMC being good a decade or so ago when I was on DirecTV for a short time, but I've had Comcast since then and they have never offered the channel. But what lousy news to hear those plans. Just lousy.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Pete York /t/316229/universal-to-celebrate-100-years-in-2012/30#post_3873032
I never thought that FMC would ever be a threat to TCM. They just never seemed to try hard to be what they should be or could be. However, I think we did benefit with the great DVD transfers of some of the classic Fox films in the great days, for they used the new transfers on the Fox channel. Also on the channel they used the special features that were on the discs. A win-win for everyone. Some of the new transfers in the Universal MOD program are from transfers made for TCM.

I am looking forward to seeing what Universal puts out for their anniversary. I would really like to see Airport, Thoroughly Modern Millie and Earthquake. Midway can also be thrown in the batch. Along with the Hitchcock's and Spielberg's.

Pete York

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by ahollis /t/316229/universal-to-celebrate-100-years-in-2012/60#post_3873074
I never thought that FMC would ever be a threat to TCM. They just never seemed to try hard to be what they should be or could be....
BINGO.

I went back and looked for the story I read, so for clarity's sake, here it is.

jaaguir

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Javier Aguirre
ahollis said:
I hope your correct, but they were one of the purchasers of MGM with Sony before the last Chapter 11 and did nothing with that library except to put some of the titles ON DEMAND.  I thought Comcast's interest's lies in the cable channels and NBC.  The film library along with the amusement parks seem to be just tag-a-longs. 

Universal needs to start licencing their back catalog, all those Paramount/Universal movies of the '30s, '40s and '50s, to someone like Olive Films, Kino or Twilight Time (Criterion's pickings, like "Design for living" now, are just not enough).

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
There are separate threads for each of these, but I thought I'd mention within this one that the first two big catalogue titles have been announced: To Kill A Mockingbird and All Quiet on the Western Front. These appear to be upgrades of the previously existing DVD editions. There are new featurettes listed about the 100th anniversary and restoration. To Kill A Mockinbird also gets a new "Scene Companion" function while All Quiet on the Western Front comes with the silent version of the movie. The other bonus content looks like it comes from the earlier DVDs.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The last release of To Kill a Mockingbird upconverts like a dream on my equipment; I watched it again last week, so this new Blu-ray should be something to see.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
jaaguir said:
Universal needs to start licencing their back catalog, all those Paramount/Universal movies of the '30s, '40s and '50s, to someone like Olive Films, Kino or Twilight Time (Criterion's pickings, like "Design for living" now, are just not enough).
The strange thing is that in Europe Universal is licencing their back catalog to small, independant producers and in many cases the results are first class.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Tons of Universal product I would love to see hit Bd in a quality (not "expedited") fashion, but I anticipate this anniversary being about as impressive as Fox's was a year or two back. In other words, many press releases, not much actual product.
That sad, All Quiet... is an interesting choice to release - hopefully that means the studio is interested in presenting it's historically significant product on the format all through next year- not just it's most commercial.
That would seem to suggest we will finally get some Universal Monster films (which I hope at least includes Bride of Frankenstein).
It's possible we might also see representative stuff like Imitation Of Life (50's melodrama), Pillow Talk (60's sex comedy), Airport (70's blockbuster/disaster), etc
Every year I keep hoping to see Sorcerer released properly- maybe next year will be the charm. They've supposedly had a new transfer and supplemental features for it ready to go for four or five years now.
At least one Hitchcock is a given (The Birds), but just like with Fox and their Marilyn Monroe and Warner with James Dean, we're so far into the formats lifespan already that I wish that when these finally do show up, these give us a nice box set with more than one film- rather than just parceling out one title a year or less.
I'd say The Sting is also a lock for 2012

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
I know Universal has been working on a major restoration of THE KING OF JAZZ. With these other Blu-Ray announcements, I would think Blu-Ray would be the final destination for this title.
I would hope at least the first three FRANKENSTEIN films would make it to Blu, along with DRACULA, THE INVISIBLE MAN and THE WOLF MAN.
Also, W.C. Fields THE BANK DICK and NEVER GIVE A SUCKER AN EVEN BREAK and perhaps a mini set for ABBOTT AND COSTELLO. I know BUCK PRIVATES would have to be there, but my choices would be WHO DONE IT?, ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN, HOLD THAT GHOST and THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES.
And for sure, THE BIRDS and possibly SABOTEUR and SHADOW OF A DOUBT.
And the 50s sci-fi films would have to be there....THIS ISLAND EARTH, IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE?
Personally, I would think Deanna Durbin should be represented as she helped save the studio, but I don't think she is well remembered today.
Well, I can dream.....

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Shadow Of A Doubt is my Favorite Hitchcock so I would love to own it in HD- but I think the odds aren't great it's going to be anytime soon. More likely we would see something like Rear Window (which I wouldn't mind at all either). Not a fan of The Birds, but we've known it's been coming for a while now.
My big hope for the kinds of Universal product I'd like to see most, is Criterion. Two Lane Blacktop is getting released in Region B so I won't be surprised to see Criterion upgrade their release sometime in the next two years. They also have some of the best Doug Sirk films- which would look ravishing with higher resolution and the wider HD color gamut.
I would also be very happy to see Missing upgraded.
Another big title I fully expect to see next year- Touch Of Evil. Not releasing that in a big studio anniversary, and after it's already been released in Region B, would be a major surprise to me.
Another representative title that I would LOVE to see- The Ghost And Mr Chicken. The widescreen image would certainly benefit from an HD bump.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
John,
so nice to see that you listed THIS ISLAND EARTH....i do wish a bit of care would be given to a new transfer...take care of the registration problems, etc. Love this movie. Belongs right up there with THE TIME MACHINE and WAR OF THE WORLDS! :D

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
bob kaplan said:
John,
so nice to see that you listed THIS ISLAND EARTH....i do wish a bit of care would be given to a new transfer...take care of the registration problems, etc. Love this movie. Belongs right up there with THE TIME MACHINE and WAR OF THE WORLDS! :D
Another vote for This Island Earth. I think it's my favorite colour 50's science fiction film, I prefer it to Forbidden Planet. The 16:9 region 2 DVD looks great, but has a lot of (very small) white sparkle throughout, so bring on the Blu-ray.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
The recent announcement of All Quiet on the Western Front has renewed some hope that we may see at least one or two films that have so far eluded even a DVD release. I'm thinking more along the lines of Northwest Mounted Police or The Uninvited--some long-requested titles.
However, I'm unsure if they will release from their Paramount library since the event is suppose to be Universal's (but it's Paramount's 100th too!)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
What a terrible disappointment Universal has been with Blu-ray. One can only hope it changes in 2012, but I will not be holding my breath.

I'd love all of the monster movies, but especially all of the Frankenstein films and Dracula, The Wolfman, The Mummy, and Creature From the Black Lagoon.

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
I can attest to the fact that this week all the mag elements for "Vertigo" are being digitized to Protools at Blu-Wave Audio on the Universal Pictures lot. Perhaps that's pointing to a new release of that title on Blu next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks