What's new

A Robert Harris Bits Extra - Lawrence of Arabia: Superbit (2 Viewers)

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Not being familiar with LOA on the big screen, my main problem with the original release was the edge enhancement. Since that has been fixed and the transfer was supervised by RAH, I will be getting this DVD, though I still will read some reviews before buying, just to be sure.

I know that the Superbit discs all include DTS tracks, but is a DTS track needed this time around? If the film can look good on 4 layers with a DTS track, fine, but I wonder if it wouldn't look better with the bits allocated to the DTS track going to the video instead.

I wish this had been a 3-disc set, since I didn't watch the extras on the first edition, but I can rent that again.

Jake_K

Auditioning
Having bought the previous edition of Lawrence 2 weeks before I heard the first rumor of a SuperBit version, I think I'll just wait for HD Disc to come to Home Theater before I purchase another version.

I'm a little irked, but I certainly don't feel that I'm getting the Lucas treatment.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
A Superbit version of Lawrence... is being released in the UK (Region 2) on the 8th of September.

Presumably this, too, will contain the new transfer? Does anyone know for certain?

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
I'm curious if the soundtrack problems will also be fixed on the SuperBit. The 5.1 mix on the earlier Columbia DVD had a music glitch when Lawrence is on top of the train, with the Maurice Jarre score erroneously "repeating" for a few bars (if you flip on the foreign tracks also present on the DVD, the music cue plays out as intended -- but not on the primary 5.1 mix).

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thanks to Sony's Grover Crisp, the audio problems are no more.

RAH

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Let me think:

Buy new Superbit DVD, keep LE case, put Superbit DVD into LE case, come away with a smile. I think that'll work. :)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I always thought the sand-colored linen cover of the SE was supposed to match Lawrence's robes as a sherif of the harith which were presented to him.....perhaps Sony's most classy packaging ever.:emoji_thumbsup:

greg_t

Screenwriter
I'll be doing the same thing as Dome. Buy the superbit and put them in the SE package. I'll keep the SE's for the extras.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
can NOT wait for this!

is there any new re-mastered version of Vertigo (which RAH had worked to restore) on the horizon?
Heh, that's just what I was wondering, especially given that my Vertigo DVD has some kind of rot and will no longer play. I sure would love a 16X9 Vertigo.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Great to hear of the fixes in the new version, and that the proper people were allowed to oversee it this time. Not to beat a dead horse, but the multiple versions issue seems to be particularly bad at Columbia. It is getting to the point where it definitely annoys me, since it seems it is often quite intentional anymore, even if that is not the case with this particular title.

As a result, it is far from certain I'll be getting the SB.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Though I enjoy the LOA LE, I don't know how the film *should* have looked. I will be picking this SB up, don't mind double-dipping at all for a quality movie. Thanks to RAH and the crew for their efforts.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
DTS for Dr Strangelove? What a great idea! :rolleyes

Well, as long as the transfer is considerably better than the current one, I'll buy it.

Gordy

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
...if you flip on the foreign tracks also present on the DVD, the music cue plays out as intended -- but not on the primary 5.1 mix...
IIRC,the tracks with the remix flubs are the English 5.1, the English pro-logic, and the French pro-logic. All of the other foreign language tracks have the correct placement of the music cues. Didn't want to get too nitpicky, but if someone switched to the French track and wondered why it sounded the same...

Regards,

Skyler

Stunt Coordinator

All this is VERY exciting! I will buy it the day it hits. I have the single disc, but have not & will not watch it. What WILL the audio choices be on the Superbit?

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Robert, what is the story on the smear in the credits. Is this a problem that occurred in the original transfer or a problem which was introduced later? This I found terribly distracting and I hope you were able to resolve it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks