What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Lawrence of Arabia (1962) and Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) (4k UHD Steelbooks) (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
One can only imagine the outcome of the Lawrence of Arabia restorations had it been overseen by this cartoonist. :oops:

Someone, please, put out the call and alert Grover Crisp.:D

As for the paratrooper artwork on River Kwai?

I am surmising that someone got this "Bridge" confused with yet another and went "Too Far".:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I keep having this feeling that one day, I'm going to see some young punk riding the train, watching Lawrence of Arabia on his phone, and I'm going to become so enraged that this widescreen masterwork is being seen on a 4 inch screen that I grab and throw it out the window. And then turn off the kid's phone.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I keep having this feeling that one day, I'm going to see some young punk riding the train, watching Lawrence of Arabia on his phone, and I'm going to become so enraged that this widescreen masterwork is being seen on a 4 inch screen that I grab and throw it out the window. And then turn off the kid's phone.
I'll just be happy that some young person is actually watching it on whatever device or display.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'll just be happy that some young person is actually watching it on whatever device or display.

But on a 4" phone -- well, to be fair, probably more like 6-7" phone nowadays :P -- will that young person simply give up after 10min and just spread and perpetuate poor word-of-mouth about how underwhelming it is, not understanding at all what all the boomers were fussing about? :lol:

_Man_

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I dug this set out the other day. I still have not opened it!
850C297A-DAB0-4A11-9F31-72C15C81F6F3.jpeg

I’ve only seen Lawrence of Arabia once many many years ago on the first DVD. I’m kind of glad I have not opened and watched the blu ray in this set yet. Now I have 4K capability with a larger screen. So I’m looking forward to seeing the new 4K when the single release comes out this summer. It will be like watching it the first time essentially.

On another topic, about this unopened set, I reminded myself of the contents. One thing I’ve been doing is collecting film score soundtracks. It’s cool the sound track is included in that box set, but I’m having a hard time determining if it’s the full score of the film? If the information I’m reading is right, it’s only 45 minutes of music in the disc. The score for The Ten Commandments has around 2 hours of music if I’m not mistaken. Maybe there has never been a release of the Lawrence of Arabia score on the scale of the Intrada Ten Commandments 6 disc set? Or maybe there isn’t that much music in the score?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I dug this set out the other day. I still have not opened it!
View attachment 130201

I’ve only seen Lawrence of Arabia once many many years ago on the first DVD. I’m kind of glad I have not opened and watched the blu ray in this set yet. Now I have 4K capability with a larger screen. So I’m looking forward to seeing the new 4K when the single release comes out this summer. It will be like watching it the first time essentially.

On another topic, about this unopened set, I reminded myself of the contents. One thing I’ve been doing is collecting film score soundtracks. It’s cool the sound track is included in that box set, but I’m having a hard time determining if it’s the full score of the film? If the information I’m reading is right, it’s only 45 minutes of music in the disc. The score for The Ten Commandments has around 2 hours of music if I’m not mistaken. Maybe there has never been a release of the Lawrence of Arabia score on the scale of the Intrada Ten Commandments 6 disc set? Or maybe there isn’t that much music in the score?
1646435722618.png

:laugh: I have that same 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Blu-ray release unopened which I purchased back in November, 2012. I never had an urge to open it up because I had the following 50th Anniversary Blu-ray release that I purchased a couple of months earlier in September, 2012. I think during that time I also watched it in a movie theater again. Anyhow, whenever, I'm now in the mood to watch this great film, my 2020 4K UHD release is now my "go-to" disc.

1646435486635.png

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see I’m not the only one Robert! :)

I had a look at eBay and I found two still sealed sets. One going for $120 and the other for $150. So if you want to get your money back, that’s an option. I’m thinking I’ll probably open my set to check out the book and the soundtrack CD.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
View attachment 130204

:laugh: I have that same 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Blu-ray release unopened which I purchased back in November, 2012. I never had an urge to open it up because I had the following 50th Anniversary Blu-ray release that I purchased a couple of months earlier in September, 2012. I think during that time I also watched it in a movie theater again. Anyhow, whenever, I'm now in the mood to watch this great film, my 2020 4K UHD release is now my "go-to" disc.

View attachment 130203
I also have this set, but opened it the day I got it and watched the film. No eBay windfall for me! :laugh:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I dug this set out the other day. I still have not opened it! [...]

:laugh: I have that same 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Blu-ray release unopened which I purchased back in November, 2012.[...]
Thats a head-scratcher to me. But I guess ya just can’t blame a fella for preferring the virgin sands.;)

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Lawrence was an instant pre-order for me the moment I saw it live on Amazon.

I guess I'm in the minority on actually liking the artwork on the new 4K steelbook.

I like being part of the minority. I like the artwork as well and will be purchasing both Steelbooks.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I like being part of the minority. I like the artwork as well and will be purchasing both Steelbooks.
I will too, and while I will likely sell off the Blu-rays of both titles (assuming the extras carry over), I am keeping the DVDs until the end of time. Those were awesome packages, like hardcover books, with replicas of the original theater programs, from when the physical presentation was part of the experience.

Reactions: PMF

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Who young people like me? 😂. I will be buying these two Steelbooks sight unseen! They will then be ripped into my Zappiti Movie Server Collection lossless 4k, for my viewing please.... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks