What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: la femme Nikita (1990) (4k UHD SteelBook) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
THE ACTION FAVORITE DEBUTS ON 4K ULTRA HD™
4d41b026-6a67-0365-0616-312b49bfa278.png
4c65a0b9-8f11-b858-824a-9991e3504e73.jpg
AVAILABLE AS A LIMITED EDITION 4K ULTRA HD STEELBOOK
JUNE 11TH
SYNOPSIS
From director Luc Besson (The Fifth Element) comes the must-see thriller about a vicious street punk turned sexy, sophisticated and lethally dangerous assassin. Starring Anne Parillaud, Jeanne Moreau and Jean Reno, La Femme Nikita is "slick, stylish and tremendously entertaining" (The New York Times)! Rescued from death row by a top-secret agency, Nikita (Anne Parillaud) is slowly transformed from a cop-killing junkie into a cold-blooded bombshell with a license to kill. But when she begins the deadliest mission of her career, only to fall for a man who knows nothing of her true identity, Nikita discovers that in the dark and ruthless world of espionage, the greatest casualty of all...is true love.
DISC DETAILS AND BONUS MATERIALS
4K ULTRA HD DISC

• Restored from the original camera negative and presented in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision
  • French & English 5.1 + French 2-Channel Surround
This 4K UHD release does not include a Blu-ray™
CAST AND CREW
Directed By: Luc Besson
A Gaumont-Gaumont Production-Cecchi Gori Group Tiger Cinematografica France-Italy Co-Production
Original Screenplay By:
Luc Besson
Cast: Anne Parillaud, Jean Hugues Anglade, Tcheky Karyo

SPECS
Run Time: Approx. 117 minutes
Rating: R
4K UHD Feature Picture: 2160p Ultra High Definition, 2.35:1
4K UHD Feature Audio: French, English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, French DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
People forget that this film - together with John Woo's Hong Kong shoot-em-ups from the 1980s - completely revolutionised the action thriller. We all thought this was the coolest, most stylish French masterpiece to push aside all the usual art house fare being produced in France, we lapped this up on 70mm screenings (with an awesome Dolby Surround soundtrack to complement the on screen mayhem), and every single male student had the film poster (expertly recreated on this steelbook) on their bedroom wall. Girls and guns? Quelle surprise! Très sexy! And its reputation only became further cemented when the Americans went and made the usual useless English language remake - Quel dommage! - and Jean Reno came back in a whole film of his own, in Léon. And after those two, Luc Besson just went off the rails (even sillier than The Big Blue) with The Fifth Element and we all realised that lightening wasn't going to strike again.

Home video versions have never managed to replicate the sheer awesomeness of seeing this on the big screen. The American LaserDisc was one of the worst LaserDiscs to ever hit the market (Monaural sound! Cropped picture! Terrible colours!) and neither the DVD nor the prehistoric 2008 blu-ray have been worth projecting. So, I can tell you that this spanking-new Sony 4K UHD, restored from the camera negative, will be starting my summer off with a bang - just like the original film did, nearly 35 years ago. Alors!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Another bunch of violets dragged in the mud! Restored from whatever bits and pieces could be found.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Another bunch of violets dragged in the mud! Restored from whatever bits and pieces could be found.
Yes - could merely be a remaster. However, Gaumont and Eclair are performing a lot of restorations on films, which aren't only from the Abel Gance-era.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Yes - could merely be a remaster. However, Gaumont and Eclair are performing a lot of restorations on films, which aren't only from the Abel Gance-era.

So they would like the public to believe.

The word “restoration” in French means to “hose down.” Far too many films from 1990-2024 being hosed down. The next film in dire need:

Dune 2.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd be inclined to give this one a purchase, but for the life of me, I can't decipher the code. I doubt it's possible for it to ever look spectacular. I believe it was a fairly budget affair.

MarkantonyII

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
So they would like the public to believe.

The word “restoration” in French means to “hose down.” Far too many films from 1990-2024 being hosed down. The next film in dire need:

Dune 2.
Don't give them ideas! "Now for the first time on Home video, Restored to it's original Imax Ratio..."

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Home video versions have never managed to replicate the sheer awesomeness of seeing this on the big screen. The American LaserDisc was one of the worst LaserDiscs to ever hit the market (Monaural sound! Cropped picture! Terrible colours!) and neither the DVD nor the prehistoric 2008 blu-ray have been worth projecting.

I haven't watched the Blu-ray since it was released in 2009, but I don't recall it looking bad.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I haven't watched the Blu-ray since it was released in 2009, but I don't recall it looking bad.
Well, if you still have the blu-ray, as I still do, then you will have ample time to compare them this summer. I had a Sony HD projector in 2009 and nothing I projected at home, looked as good as films did projected at the cinema. Everyone was enthralled by high definition then, but that was only because the quality was so much better than DVDs. Blu-rays didn't look like film did, if you projected onto a big screen.

However, in 2024, quite a lot of what I project at home, looks as good as it does at the cinema.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Well, if you still have the blu-ray, as I still do, then you will have ample time to compare them this summer. I had a Sony HD projector in 2009 and nothing I projected at home, looked as good as films did projected at the cinema. Everyone was enthralled by high definition then, but that was only because the quality was so much better than DVDs. Blu-rays didn't look like film did, if you projected onto a big screen.

However, in 2024, quite a lot of what I project at home, looks as good as it does at the cinema.

I had a JVC projector in 2009 and had been projecting high-definition from various sources since at least 2002, so I wasn't exactly a newb watching his first HD signal on a 30" Walmart special LCD TV. However, I will concede that standards rise over time and it's very possible that this particular Blu-ray could be bettered with a remaster. I just don't remember it being notably lackluster.

2009 was three years into the Blu-ray format, and Sony took such a beating in the press and HT community over the crap quality of their initial wave of discs (I think we all remember that notorious first copy of The Fifth Element) that they'd cleaned up their act and started putting out much better transfers by that point.

If I find the time, I will try to dig out the disc and see how it holds up. Maybe you're right, I don't know. 🤷‍♂️

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Amazon preorder is live

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks