What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Lawrence of Arabia (1962) and Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) (4k UHD Steelbooks) (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Back in the day studios used to say how many copies were included in limited edition releases. Often the sets were numbered. Sony to the best of my knowledge did not do this with the Columbia Classics sets nor did the press announcement for these steelbooks mention how limited these discs will be. Helps to know if you chose to wait for a better price. I almost missed Volume 1 of the Columbia Classics waiting for a better price during the holiday season but they were gone before coming back to Amazon only by the holiday season. I never thought I would say this but maybe Disney was the most fair when they would give a date when their limited releases would go back to the "Disney Vault"

To be fair, Sony did specify how many sets of Volume 1 they were going t make (8000). The items weren't numbered, but I've never really found that made a huge difference for wide release items anyway. Someone preordering 3 months ahead often had higher numbered items than folks who picked an item up 2-4 weeks after delivery. Often it depended on where you ordered more than when, and whether the autobot in the warehouse picked from Box 2 or box 200.

I guess most assumed Vol 2 had the same 8000 production numbers though not sure that was ever stated anywhere

Thanks. But since I'm in the US that release won't work on my player.

Why not. The 4K (like 99.9999% of 4K are and 100% are supposed to be) and BD are both Region Free

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
Back in the day studios used to say how many copies were included in limited edition releases. Often the sets were numbered. Sony to the best of my knowledge did not do this with the Columbia Classics sets nor did the press announcement for these steelbooks mention how limited these discs will be. Helps to know if you chose to wait for a better price. I almost missed Volume 1 of the Columbia Classics waiting for a better price during the holiday season but they were gone before coming back to Amazon only by the holiday season. I never thought I would say this but maybe Disney was the most fair when they would give a date when their limited releases would go back to the "Disney Vault"
It was known volume 1 was 8,000 copies, at least initially. i never saw a statement for volume 2.

ShellOilJunior

Second Unit
Those covers look like they star Johnny Quest. Beyond awful-looks like someone’s family member got a great commission for those.
And who’s been raking that desert? Lol
That's hilarious. I thought i was the only one that thought of that. I was trying to place where I had seen that art style and was searching for Johnny Quest cartoon images.

Paul Bosquet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
No need for me to get another copy of Lawrence in 4K, but ordered Bridge since I hadn't gotten the 60th anniversary edition in 4K (which is $17.50 at Amazon currently). Hoping the final price for Bridge comes down!

By the way Columbia Classics II still available for $86 at Amazon.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
FYI the original release of Bridge, which included a digital code when released, no longer does.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
FYI the original release of Bridge, which included a digital code when released, no longer does.
But the edition without the digital code discretely added the mono track… so the steel, adding DV, will actually be the third unique version of the movie on 4K disc.

I was thinking about ordering a new copy for the mono track, but now I’m glad I didn’t!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I can't figure out which streaming films on Itunes get upgraded to 4K when a 4K version become available. I had blu rays for Bridge and Lawrence. Bridge upgraded to 4K and Lawrence did not. I have the code for Lawrence from the Columbia Classics set but haven't gotten around to entering it yet. Guns of Navorone is still HD, Ground Hog's Day is 4K, Ghostbusters is 4K. All are Sony/Columbia releases.

I don't think any Warner Bros titles upgrade to 4K automatically.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
I've been waiting for LoA as a single 4K release. In this era of declining optical media I didn't expect Sony to replicate its outstanding 50th anniversary treatment. However, this steel box is both unnecessary (how many fans want a metal case ?) and beyond ugly. My best recourse may be to place the new disc in the 10-year-old box. What artistic genius thought the "cabbage in the desert" was superior to the shadowed head shot posted earlier?

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
I can't figure out which streaming films on Itunes get upgraded to 4K when a 4K version become available. I had blu rays for Bridge and Lawrence. Bridge upgraded to 4K and Lawrence did not. I have the code for Lawrence from the Columbia Classics set but haven't gotten around to entering it yet. Guns of Navorone is still HD, Ground Hog's Day is 4K, Ghostbusters is 4K. All are Sony/Columbia releases.

I don't think any Warner Bros titles upgrade to 4K automatically.
If you used a code, I think you’ll only get an upgrade if you redeemed it directly in iTunes. Old codes redeemed via UV might not upgrade.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I'm glad we finally have an individual 4k release for Lawrence of Arabia. Since unfortunately I didn't buy the Columbia volume 1 UHD set when I had the chance, I'll buy this even though the msrp of $46 is double my usual personal limit for a single movie. But given that Lawrence is really the length of two movies, and since I love both parts, I'll make an exception. I also made an exception back in 2013, when I got the edition of Lawrence with the hardcover book and a 70mm film frame for $45.

Although it's perhaps encouraging that Columbia/Sony invested in some new original art, like some others I feel overall it might have been better to stay with art similar to what was created back in 1962.

Is there any news about a 4k release for Gandhi? That's the other title from the vol. 1 set that I'd really like in 4K.

Looking up my receipt from 2017, I purchased my 4k of Bridge on the River Kwai from amazon for $17.49, which was discounted from an msrp at that time of 26.99. It was my very first 4k disc. Since the new release of Kwai has an msrp of $39.99 that's quite a price jump. But I guess whatever it takes (almost) to keep classic titles coming in 4k, because at its best a 4k uhd blu-ray can really can look like a pristine print struck from the original negative.

View attachment 129913 View attachment 129914 View attachment 129915
Here is my cover art that I am using for the Bluray. For the 4K I will change it again. I Love original Poster Art inside and out on my Movie collection. :D
DSC00485.JPG
DSC00486.JPG

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
If you used a code, I think you’ll only get an upgrade if you redeemed it directly in iTunes. Old codes redeemed via UV might not upgrade.
Recent codes only seem to be redeemable from Movies Anywhere unless it is from a studio like Paramount or Lionsgate that don't participate in Movies Anywhere. I believe Sony titles are now only redeemable through Movies Anywhere and perhaps VUDU but not Itunes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks