What's new

West Wing Season 2 announced! (1 Viewer)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor

The last scene of the Season finale "Two Cathedrals" may be the best scene of any television show or movie that I've seen put to music.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
OK, let me just revisit that 16:9 v 4:3 thing again :b

Last night I finally got around to briefly comparing the new R1 16:9 release against my older 4:3 R2 release. From what little I saw (last 10 minutes or so of Ellie), the "original broadcast" of 4:3 was evidently matted (pan/scanned?) from the 16:9; put another way, the 16:9 is NOT tilt/scanned, and simply shows more of the sides. Which is a good thing IMHO.

Anyway, reason I had to do it was because my disc is faulty at the 32:44 mark of the episode, it freezes and FF scan doesn't work and finally it defaults to the "end of disc FBI/Interpol warnings", so I pulled out my R2 set to watch the rest :angry: As it turns out I can time-search past the bad spot and can watch the rest of the ep, missing about 2-3 mins, but it's annoying. A visual inspection shows a blemish on the disc, in the layer (not a surface blemish), so I guess that's what caused the problem. Anyone know if Amazon can swap single discs from a boxset?

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

No, they will tell you they can only replace entire box sets. I've inquired this myself on two occasions; the most recent box set to arrive with scratched and damaged floaters was, incidentally, The West Wing season 1 box set.

However, on both occasions the box set was immediately replaced after I sent email to Amazon and I was told to dispose of the original as I pleased. You probably won't have to return the original set because the shipping cost would be prohibitive.

Mark-C

Stunt Coordinator
"The last scene of the Season finale "Two Cathedrals" may be the best scene of any television show or movie that I've seen put to music."

Couldn't agree more.

I could hear some music brewing and I thought to myself how cool would it be if this turned into Brothers in Arms
and it did, brilliant !

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Plowed through the set in three days. Had seen the shows on TV before, but they were all still so addicting a second time around -- and never better than on DVD.

I'm just wondering why they wasted a 4th disc for hardly any special features! They could have easily fit that stuff on disc 3, which contained only 6 episodes. Discs one and two each contained 8 episodes. Didn't make sense to give us an extra disc. Maybe they just want to be consistent from set to set.

David_SG

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody know why Netflix has season 2 as a 7 disc series? Is there a 7 disc series available to buy, or do they do this specifically for the rental market so there are more discs to rent (and thus more temptation to buy)?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

The first three discs in the set are double-sided, while the fourth is single-sided, making seven sides to the collection.

David_SG

Stunt Coordinator

But Netflix has it as 7 separate discs - when you add the series to your rental queue, 7 discs show up. This wasn't the case for season 1 - netflix had the same 4 double sided discs that you could find in stores.

Unless Warner did indeed quite making the flipper discs, this would seem to be a rather blatant attempt to discourage consumers from renting. Not a bad strategy - the thought of having to wait for 7 dvds makes it a lot more tempting to just go ahead and buy the series. What's next - 1 episode per disc for the rental market?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Warner does special rental versions of their DVD-18 titles for the rental market. Netflix has purchased this version so they can rent the discs out individually. This configuration is only for the rental market, and isn't sold in stores.

Gord

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks