What's new

West Wing Season 2 announced! (1 Viewer)

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
RE: Viewers under age 35

Just turned 30 and it's my favorite show, possibly of all time - Though SportsNight and Faulty Towers are dang close...

Still just giddy from the news yesterday... :D

I think I need to admit I have a problem, ala Leo's "card games"... After seeing all the S1 set, I actually got via Ebay 8 more episodes from the Emmy screener DVDs for S2...

"Hello, my name is Brian, I have a secret plan to fight inflation, and I'm addicted to the West Wing."

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
"I think The White House needs to pay a little more attention to UFO's."
"Are we paying any attention at all to UFO's?"
"No."
"Thank God."

Season two features an episode with another group on lunatics pleading with White House staffers to fight for their causes, in what the staff calls Leo's annual "Big Block of Cheese Day".

Sadly, this idea has been abandoned from TWW; I had hoped it would become like Hawkeye's letters to his father in M*A*S*H or like The Simpsons' "Treehouse of Horror" thing. It isn't mentioned in seasons 3 or 4 and has yet to be mentioned in season 5.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Another report of the video transfer being 16:9 has surface over at the Digital Bits.

Maybe it was a thing like ER.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Actually, that's in season one. Just saw it recently, and it was a great, funny piece.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Sam, my quote was from the season one episode like that, yes (which I've seen a million bazillion times between Bravo and the DVD's). I didn't want to spoil anything for the people who haven't seen season 2 yet. :D

The "Wolves-Only" Roadway is one of the funniest scenes evah!

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I should mention that the documentary on this set had to be removed due to issues (probably some legal thing). It wasn't supposed to make it onto the press site and has been removed from there as well.

Gord

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

If you really can't wait, S2 is already available in R2, but with no extras. Wanna buy mine? ;) And no doubt S3 will be released in R2 before R1 (since S2 has been out in R2 for around 6 months already, I think).

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Maybe, but it should definitely be on the set. It was an epsiode of TWW, good or bad. Make it a special feature to show that it is not part of general continuity, but preserve it.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

Well, I started watching when it first came on (I was 20 or 21 then), so chalk up another "under 35" to the fanbase.

Actually, I'm surprised at how well this show plays up here in Canada-perhaps because we don't take it as seriously as some Americans might? Either way, good news about S2-I might actually have to buy start buying these and replacing my DVD-R copies of seasons 1 and 2 (and 3+ when they're released). All that capturing and burning for nothing...

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

It's reportedly not being included on the R2 set due out in March. That doesn't necessarily mean R1 won't get it, but it's not a good sign.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
The r2/4 releases have all been more or less bare-bones - I'm glad I'm waiting for the r1 releases. I'm still hoping for it to be included as a special feature.
What about the documentary episode?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I hope the documentary episode isn't the one that Gord was talking about having to be removed from the set for legal reasons.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I think the documentary episode was part of season 3 or 4 (actually I'm certain about that - I only started watching in season 3), so it probably wasn't what Gord was talking about. But if Gord could confirm, that would be great.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
No, this IS a documentary, not a documentary episode.

It's a bonus feature that was reported to be on the set, not an episode.

Gord

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for confirming that, Gord.

According to the TV Tome episode guide for TWW, the documentary special is completely seperate from the listings for the seasons, but it aired during season 3 between episodes 3-17 and 3-18. So I would expect to see the documentary in the season 3 box.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'd be surprised if, in the season set, both the "Isaac and Ishmael" and documentary special episodes weren't included -- they've both been included as part of the Bravo TV reruns, so it would seem a good assumption that if they're syndicating those episodes in the U.S., they'll probably put them out on DVD too.

As for "Big Block Of Cheese Day", they had that in both season one and two. In season one, the episode was "The Crackpots and These Women." In season two, the episode was "Somebody's Going To Emergency, Somebody's Going To Jail."

As for season two subplots...
In season two, Bartlet's MS (which was first brought to the audience's attention in the season one episode "He Shall, From Time To Time...") comes full circle. Bartlet discloses his condition first to the senior staffers, and then they confer with consultants and lawyers to decide whether or not to disclose this to the public. They agree that they have to, and season two ends just as Bartlet discloses his MS, with everyone wondering if he's going to run for a second term. That mostly runs through the second half of the season, and the repercussions of that announcement carries into the first half of the third season.

By the way... I'm 20, at least for the next few days, and I've seen every first run episode as its aired since the show started. It's not strictly a 35+ thing.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Yer darn tootin' ! :)

Hokey Smokes, Lisa! Where'd all your DVDs go????

Your link shows Zero.

EDIT: Oops. There they are. Under "All Owned". That seems odd. Why are there 2 "Owned" areas on Aficionado? What's the difference between "Owned" and "All Owned"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks