What's new

FINALLY! MAYBERRY R.F.D. The Complete Series is going to be released DVD only on 6/13/2023 along with Night Court. Details below. (2 Viewers)

chrislong2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Really what we all should be concerned about is that Warners will do a zoom & crop of the 4:3 picture, thus losing 25% of the picture info. Some of their more relatively recent 4:3 TV DVD's had this problem, including Step By Step, and I never saw the problem acknowledged by Warners. I no longer trust Warners TV on DVD offerings until I see them myself.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
The first Mayberry RFD show wrapped up the Andy Griffith Show and really should have been included with that complete series set. I understand they have different distributors, CBS and Warner Bros and the reason the episode was originally on Mayberry RFD was to get people to watch the new series but still The Andy Griffith Show has no concluding episode included with it's complete series set unless you count the reunion movie. I think Andy appeared on a few episodes in the first season until they wrote him off, similar to Edith in the first season of Archie Bunker's Place but Andy was just left Mayberry unlike how Edith left.
I hope the volume levels are decent on this series set. I bought the original Season 1 of Mayberry RFD when it came out and the sound levels were rather low. I had to crank up the audio level on high.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Don't think this has been shown in this thread-- the back of that Night Court all-in-one...

nightcourtback.jpg

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Can you believe two episodes of The Real McCoys are on youtube uncut someone has posted them wonder if has all the shows uncut Mayberry RFD coming soon

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Can you believe two episodes of The Real McCoys are on youtube uncut someone has posted them wonder if has all the shows uncut Mayberry RFD coming soon
What's surprising to me is that the complete version of the pilot has an SFM tag on the end of it. AFAIK, when SFM remastered the show for TNN in the 90s, they only did edited transfers, unlike Make Room for Daddy, where they did both a complete version in 4x3 and a cut to shreds version in fake widescreen.

Kruzer31

Agent
Real Name
Doug
I don't count on much. Until it comes out.
And then see what it really is. The Real McCoys.Yes!
Amazon in the product details has Mayberry RFD the complete series as 2340 minutes. With 78 episodes that comes to 30 minutes per episode. Episodes ran between 25 and 26 minutes. Information on product details appears to be in error, unless there are bonus features which are not indicated and highly unlikely. Just hope they are complete and uncut.

Kruzer31

Agent
Real Name
Doug
Amazon in the product details has Mayberry RFD the complete series as 2340 minutes. With 78 episodes that comes to 30 minutes per episode. Episodes ran between 25 and 26 minutes. Information on product details appears to be in error, unless there are bonus features which are not indicated and highly unlikely. Just hope they are complete and uncut.
Oops on further review it is stated that the run time is 33/3/4 hours which works out between 25 and 26 minutes per episode. Looks like they are complete and uncut!

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
For years there have been two holy grail shows I wanted to "complete" my classic TV collection. Earlier this year I got all five seasons of Fury with Peter Graves on DVD. In six days I will have the other set I have waited years to buy complete. I have season 1 and crappy truncated versions of RFD seasons 2 and 3 recorded off TV. But in a few days I will have the real deal, complete, and with it every holy grail show I ever wanted since I started collecting DVDs in the spring of 1999. So it took 24 years to get them all. I spent thousands and have had so much fun collecting and watching. Cheers!

Last edited:

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Night Court! Arggh.. I just had to go and buy the first 3 seasons.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Speaking of Mayberry, RFD, next weekend (Father's day weekend) will be Mayberry RFD as the Catchy Channel binge. All 3 seasons will air in its entirety throughout the weekend.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Got my set. The discs do not have the titles of the episodes printed on them, nor are they anywhere I could find on the box. The mechanism that holds the discs is free floating inside the outer case. I found it difficult to get the discs out; the good news: They were all secure in the holders, not floating around scratching themselves during shipment.

The sound quality is good. I'd give the picture quality an A-minus to a B-plus. Below are a couple of screen grabs.

Movies & TV 6_13_2023 4_57_46 PM.jpg

Movies & TV 6_13_2023 4_58_30 PM.jpg

All but four episodes run about 25:40 and appear complete. Episode 109, "Mike's Losing Streak," has a running time of 24:42. Episode 118, "Howard's Hobby," is 24:45. Episode 217, "Emmett and the Ring," is 24:18, and episode 223, "The Mayberry Float," is 24:48. The good news: Season three episodes are all in the normal 25:40 range.

Overall, I'm happy. While not quite up to par with the color episodes of TAGS in terms of the clarity and dynamic range, I'm glad to finally have the entire series. I now have all my holy grail series on DVD or Blu ray. :)

Last edited:

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Amazon's current price for the set has been lowered to $39.96.

If only four episodes are edited that's not too bad.

I'm curious to know if the discs are formatted in 4:3 full screen, or if they are formatted the same like the Ozzie & Harriet's from MPI with black bars on all sides of the screen when viewing on a CRT set.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
All but four episodes run about 25:40 and appear complete. Episode 109, "Mike's Losing Streak," has a running time of 24:42. Episode 118, "Howard's Hobby," is 24:45. Episode 217, "Emmett and the Ring," is 24:18, and episode 223, "The Mayberry Float," is 24:48. The good news: Season three episodes are all in the normal 25:40 range.
Just curious: you say that three of these four episodes are about 60 seconds shorter, and the other one is about 90 seconds shorter (than standard). Can you tell if something has actually been eliminated? Edited out? A quick cut somewhere?

I'm wondering if it could be that CBS asked for a slightly shorter episode those weeks in order to squeeze in some sort of promo.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I imagine it could be possible that the four shorter episodes just run a little less than usual and not actually edited but will wait for further information.

Speeded up by time compression could also be a reason for the four episodes with the shorter run times. The Robert Stack Most Wanted series DVD set has a few time compressed episodes on it. I believe the Dan August DVD's from VEI also has time compressed episodes.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Thats my guess. In those days it was fairly common for occassional episodes to be a minute shorter for a special promo. Episodes edited for syndication are normally 22 and 1/2 to 23 and 1/2 so these sound like they are unedited.

cpalmer2k

Agent
Real Name
Chad
Amazon's current price for the set has been lowered to $39.96.

If only four episodes are edited that's not too bad.

I'm curious to know if the discs are formatted in 4:3 full screen, or if they are formatted the same like the Ozzie & Harriet's from MPI with black bars on all sides of the screen when viewing on a CRT set.

I got my set yesterday from Amazon and today I received an e-mail saying they were going to refund the difference in price between the $68.99 I ordered it at and the $39.96, so I got back ~$27. That was a great deal in my opinion. It's so nice to now finally have the full series in one place.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I got my set yesterday from Amazon and today I received an e-mail saying they were going to refund the difference in price between the $68.99 I ordered it at and the $39.96, so I got back ~$27. That was a great deal in my opinion. It's so nice to now finally have the full series in one place.
I got mine today and got the same email. Pretty awesome. Looking forward to watching after work

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Just curious: you say that three of these four episodes are about 60 seconds shorter, and the other one is about 90 seconds shorter (than standard). Can you tell if something has actually been eliminated? Edited out? A quick cut somewhere?

I'm wondering if it could be that CBS asked for a slightly shorter episode those weeks in order to squeeze in some sort of promo.
This is exactly why I didn't claim the episodes have been cut. I simply don't know them well enough. If it was TAGS, I could tell you in a heartbeat, but here, I thought it prudent simply to report the running times.
Speeded up by time compression could also be a reason for the four episodes with the shorter run times. The Robert Stack Most Wanted series DVD set has a few time compressed episodes on it. I believe the Dan August DVD's from VEI also has time compressed episodes.
I gave episode 118 a gander with an eye toward time compression. In my opinion the episode didn't appear to be sped up.
Check the screen grabs I posted from my computer monitor. They look like full 4x3 to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks