What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Warner Archive Announcements Thread (6 Viewers)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Coming to Blu-ray on June 14th from the Warner Archive Collection!
New 2024 1080p HD master from 4K scan of best nitrate preservation elements.

MR. & MRS. SMITH (1941)
BD-50
87 Minutes
B&W
16x9 1.37:1 with side mattes
DTS-HD MA 2.0
English SDH
Directed by Alfred Hitchcock

Finally! The last of the Hollywood Hitch's (not counting his TV work) to be released on Blu-ray!

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
WAC has a goldmine of vintage TV it could offer up. The Dukes of Hazzard, Falcon Crest, Knots Landing, Growing Pains, Head of the Class, Perfect Strangers, to say nothing of the mini-series: North and South, and, The Thorn Birds.

But The Flash?!? Scraping the bottom of the barrel on that one!

It has a lot of fans. Quite frankly, I'd rather have The Flash than any of the ones you list there.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I like Mr and Mrs Smith. While I think the leading male role was adequately served by Robert Montgomery, it seemed tailor made for Cary Grant.

Gene Raymond’s performance is reason enough for me to get this film upgraded to Blu-ray (as well as the Hitchcock completist thingy). His intoxicated scene is among the funniest drunk performances I’ve seen, up there with Dudley Moore’s Arthur.

And Zinnemann two months running - thank you, Archives!

Richard M S

Screenwriter
There's nothing that guarantees a Day One purchase for me more than "This new Blu-ray presentation restores 6 minutes cut from the film and unseen for nearly seven decades."

The Man I Love is the bluray winner for me; on the whole it's quite a good month.

Act Of Violence is also a terrific film which I will also purchase on Day One.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It has a lot of fans. Quite frankly, I'd rather have The Flash than any of the ones you list there.
Well at least The Flash gives us a splash of colour in this b/w bunch. I know there's a lot of people here who are happy with this latest set of releases, but personally I think it's the worse batch for a while.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well at least The Flash gives us a splash of colour in this b/w bunch. I know there's a lot of people here who are happy with this latest set of releases, but personally I think it's the worse batch for a while.
Interesting but my opinion differs from your own. Film appreciation is so subjective as it is in this case.

DannyLewis

Stunt Coordinator
Really? I think "The Flash" is the least attractive title of the bunch. And I am ll in for the 4 golden age classics announced. How can you go wrong with such a hoster of Director and Stars? Pure Hollywood Bonanza.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
WAC has a goldmine of vintage TV it could offer up. The Dukes of Hazzard, Falcon Crest, Knots Landing, Growing Pains, Head of the Class, Perfect Strangers, to say nothing of the mini-series: North and South, and, The Thorn Birds.

But The Flash?!? Scraping the bottom of the barrel on that one!
My thoughts exactly. I don't see the appeal in that show one iota. Would love to see them finish Head Of The Class and Falcon Crest. At this point, I'd even take both on DVD.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I know there's a lot of people here who are happy with this latest set of releases, but personally I think it's the worse batch for a while.
For me, it's the worse batch as well. Not one title I am interested in. I really don't mind waiting but it feels like I have waited months for them to announce anything that would be of interest to me, mostly because they keep sticking to one era with just a couple more contemporary ones thrown in but even those choices had me puzzled. So many unreleased films that were botched in their DVD release screaming for a proper BR disc.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I have to thank Crawdaddy for his recommendation of Why be Good? that was a blast. I might need to get that Blu-ray with The Boob at some point. Colleen Moore was amazing. Her hairstyle was exactly like Louise Brooks !

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ha, yes I know I poked the bear with my ungrateful post :)

Friends & family think of me as the movie guy, who knows about old films, but I admit I’m a beginner compared to many here. I also admit that apart from the Hitchcock, I’ve never even heard of any of those old b/w films, & I’m way beyond the point where I buy a film just ‘cos it’s been released on Blu-ray…& I’m still scratching my head about The Alaskans Blu-ray box set release.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Coming to Blu-ray on June 14th from the Warner Archive Collection!
New 2024 1080p HD master from 4K scan of original nitrate camera negative.
THE MAN I LOVE (1947)
BD-50
96 Minutes
B&W
16x9 1.37:1 with side mattes
DTS-HD MA 2.0
English SDH
Directed by Raoul Walsh
Special features: Classic WB cartoons “ROUGHLY SQUEAKING”, “SLICK HARE”. Includes the Original Theatrical Trailer
Cast: Ida Lupino, Robert Alda, Andrea King
Torch singer Petey Brown is beautiful and smart. The beautiful gets her in trouble. She’ll need all the smarts to get out of it in this bluesy, boozy noir salute to tough dames in tough times. On a holiday visit to her family in the waning days of World War II, Petey expects a merry Christmas. Instead, she gets a tangled web of mobsters, cheating wives, war-traumatized vets and the kind of love that grabs hold fast and goes wrong faster. Ida Lupino portrays Petey, scoring a triumph under the direction of Raoul Walsh, who helped put her on the road to stardom in the Bogart classic High Sierra. The Man I Love is also notable for its songbook of sophisticated standards and as one of the inspirations for Martin Scorsese’s “New York, New York”. This new Blu-ray presentation restores 6 minutes cut from the film and unseen for nearly seven decades. Now, newly remastered the film can finally be experienced as first shown in its original theatrical release.

View attachment 220677
This film has looked terrible on TCM. Looking forward to a new blu ray derived from the original nitrate negative.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
The Alaskans, which I've also not seen, reinforces my view that the selection of titles is simply those which are the least expensive to release. We are halfway through the year (in terms of due dates) and there is a dearth of top tier titles. That North by Northwest (not a WA title, I know) was listed but not given an announcement illustrates the low profile of disc releases and the general lack of enthusiasm.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Alaskans, which I've also not seen, reinforces my view that the selection of titles is simply those which are the least expensive to release. We are halfway through the year (in terms of due dates) and there is a dearth of top tier titles. That North by Northwest (not a WA title, I know) was listed but not given an announcement illustrates the low profile of disc releases and the general lack of enthusiasm.
You really think North by Northwest is not going to have a big announcement?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks