What's new

Press Release Warner Archive Collection Announcement: Queen Christina (1933) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Coming from the Warner Archive Collection this May!

NEW 2023 1080p HD Master from 4K Scan of best surviving Nitrate elements.

QUEEN CHRISTINA (1933)

Run Time 99:00
Subtitles English SDH
Audio Specs DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.37:1 with side mattes
Product Color B&W
Disc Configuration BD 50

Special Features: Episode of “M-G-M Parade” Television series on the career of Greta Garbo at the studio; Original Theatrical Trailer

Cast: Greta Garbo, John Gilbert, Ian Keith, Lewis Stone, Elizabeth Young

Greta Garbo stars in one of her greatest roles, as the 17th century Swedish queen fiercely devoted to her country who fights at the head of her army like a man but who loves like a woman--Queen Christina. Crowned queen when she was five years old, the beautiful Christina (Garbo) leads a sexually ambiguous life as she fights to defend her Protestant country against the Counterreformation, dressing as a man and vowing to live as a bachelor. Christina has built her country into a formidable military power, defeating the armies of the Vatican and threatening Russia, and she has agreed to wed the King of Spain--not for love, but to guarantee her country's peace and security. But Christina loses her heart to the King's ambassador (John Gilbert)--and she must choose between her duty to her country and the man she loves. Directed with his own unique style by Rouben Mamoulian, this
M-G-M classic endures as a masterpiece of classic cinema.

1681761359569.png

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I'm not a big Garbo fan, but I will still purchase this Blu-ray. This is not to say I dislike her, but she isn't a favorite of mine like Barbara Stanwyck and Bette Davis.

Frankly, I prefer Ingrid Bergman myself in terms of Swedish actresses, but there’s no denying that Garbo is a great actress. Somewhat related to Queen Christina, it would have been interesting to see her take on Joan of Arc. The below website contains a very interesting article about the planned Joan of Arc she was supposed to appear in and the strange reason it was abandoned.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Frankly, I prefer Ingrid Bergman myself in terms of Swedish actresses, but there’s no denying that Garbo is a great actress. Somewhat related to Queen Christina, it would have been interesting to see her take on Joan of Arc. The below website contains a very interesting article about the planned Joan of Arc she was supposed to appear in and the strange reason it was abandoned.

Same here!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
This was the first Garbo film I saw. A 35mm print, unfortunately shown in 1.85 ratio. But what did I know as a 15-year-old? I was entranced by her aura, by that uncanny essence that only the camera could capture. And that balletic post-coital sequence that Mamoulian created for her was absolutely one of the most erotic sequences ever filmed.
And the fabled closing close-up shot is the stuff of legends.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Another I can happily cross off my wish list! Thanks, WAC!

I watched Camille last week and thought it looked gorgeous. Apparently there will be even more Garbo later this year after Queen Christina. I'm hoping for Anna Karenina or Mata Hari next!
I vote for Anna Karenina. Unless GF finds the cut footage dictated by the Code for Mata Hari's reissue, it's a substandard film that pales next to Brown's version of Karenina. Plus Garbo's performance as Anna is superior to Mata's.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
And, of course, there's the legendary closing shot with the extreme and sublime continuing close-up of Garbo's face as she sails off to Spain alone.
Absolutely, one of the greatest closing shots ever.

I've never been a Garbo fan but I'll definitely buy this disc.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Another I can happily cross off my wish list! Thanks, WAC!

I watched Camille last week and thought it looked gorgeous. Apparently there will be even more Garbo later this year after Queen Christina. I'm hoping for Anna Karenina or Mata Hari next!

double bill, both versions of Anna Karenina (1927 and 1935) could it possibly be one of the silents that WAC has been working on?

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
I just watched the WAC Blu-ray of "Queen Christina" tonight. My gosh! The level of restoration efforts is astonishing! Apparently, the original camera negative doesn't exist, so they used the best surviving nitrate elements. The result looks like a brand new, sparkling print. There are no signs of specks or dirt and even the audio is surprisingly clear -- close to dynamic for an 90-year-old mono track. Needless to say, the close-ups of Garbo are glorious. My enthusiastic congratulations to George Feltenstein and his team! I'm very anxious to hear what Robert Harris has to say about this.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I just watched the WAC Blu-ray of "Queen Christina" tonight. My gosh! The level of restoration efforts is astonishing! Apparently, the original camera negative doesn't exist, so they used the best surviving nitrate elements. The result looks like a brand new, sparkling print. There are no signs of specks or dirt and even the audio is surprisingly clear -- close to dynamic for an 90-year-old mono track. Needless to say, the close-ups of Garbo are glorious. My enthusiastic congratulations to George Feltenstein and his team! I'm very anxious to hear what Robert Harris has to say about this.
From what he’s heard, I believe he’ll love it. One of his favorite films.

The image is derived from a 3rd gen nitrate dupe made in 1947, which was recently uncovered. Last master done from 5th gen safety dupe.

Biggest revelation is on the audio side. Track print made in ‘56 off original nitrate track neg.

This is HUGE!

Apparently there were some shipping problems. I’m do to receive Tuesday.

Everyone needs a copy of this.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross

The image is derived from a 3rd gen nitrate dupe made in 1947, which was recently uncovered. Last master done from 5th gen safety dupe.

Biggest revelation is on the audio side. Track print made in ‘56 off original nitrate track neg.

This is HUGE!

Yeah. I was supposed to get mine yesterday but it never arrived. Hopefully on Monday.

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman

This is HUGE!

Thanks so much for the technical details, Mr. Harris! They help explain why the transfer of "Queen Christina" looks and sounds so remarkable to me. Very much looking forward to seeing your review of it when you get your copy in the mail.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks